“Puttgarden (Germany) to Rodby (Denmark on Scandlines ferry”

Rodbyhavn Trafikhavn
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Roedby
Reviewed 27 August 2016

As we were driving through Denmark on our way home, we want to try the ferry. I had heard about the queues via trip advisor but thought we would risk it. We drove straight down the motorway straight to the ferry terminal without any queues. We purchased our ticket and waited to board the next ferry out. We waited about 10 minutes before the ferry arrived and we boarded straight away. It was only a 30 minute crossing, so not much time to do anything really. But the ferry was well equipped with food and shopping outlets, outside and inside seating areas and an information office to change money if needed (the only service we used). Bit of a tip, when we got on the ferry unless your first in the queue to change money, wait as the queue can get quite long. I went back 20 minutes into the journey and only waited a few minutes to be served. Unloading was just as quick and your straight onto the motorway to take you to Copenhagen. All in all an excellent service, very quick and efficient.

Date of experience: August 2016
3  Thank TTheworld

Reviewed 2 August 2015

It's a bit odd to see this under "attractions". There's no attraction, it's just a way to get across the water to Germany.

We traveled on July 14th. Apparently one of the four ferries that services this route was out of commission that day. I say "apparently" because we weren't told that. However, services were running every 40 minutes instead of every 30 as advertised, one ferry stayed at the quay the whole time we were waiting, and only three ferries were listed on the board that showed sailing times. So it seems likely that the ferry that wasn't being used was parked for a reason. The information we were given, however, said only that there was "unusually high traffic" that day.

Once you are past the ticket booth, there is a single building with toilets and one vending machine. Virtually no shade. We waited for over three hours. Had we known we would be waiting for three hours, we might have actually chosen to drive to Jutland and down into Germany that way, which wouldn't have taken that much longer and wouldn't have involved sitting in a hot car in the sun for three hours with nothing to do.

Better information would have been much appreciated. A small kiosk would have been nice, too.

1  Thank flodnak f
Reviewed 30 July 2015 via mobile

Off season it works fine but is overpriced. Peak season lines are horrendous even with booked times. Can easily wait hours for no other reason that ticketing takes for ever. I always pay the 15 eur extra for vip. This secured a spot in front of the ferry.

2  Thank bjoern_rici
Reviewed 13 July 2015 via mobile

Okay, maybe I'm spoiled because I'm from a place where ferry travel is a way of life. But this is the longest, slowest line ever. Oh, and it is also the most expensive. I should have just driven around. 2 hours beyond my ticketed sailing time, I'm still in line!