“The ultimate get-away-from it all holiday haven -”
Review of Casa Portagioia

Casa Portagioia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Words can simply not describe enough the wonderful experience that is Casa Portagioia. As you make your way through the Cypress drive to CP, you leave behind the frenetic day to day chaos and enter into an idyllic haven in the heart of rustic Tuscany.

For the past twenty years I have spent the best part of 30-40% of my time staying hotel accommodation across the globe (whether for business or pleasure). CP without a shadow of a doubt makes it to the top of the list. Here’s why – from the moment of making my booking there was no question of the hosts going the extra mile to accommodate me. My travel plans were last minute and Terry was kind enough to inform me that while there was space at the CP, there would be a room change due to prior bookings. Lucky me – I got to experience the benefits of the self-catering apartment and hotel rooms. You can experience authentic Tuscan accommodation with the best of fresh linens and beautifully appointed rooms. Decor is simply just right – a perfect of mix of antiques and comfortable furniture getting the balance just right between simplicity and ‘twee’.

I was lucky enough to arrive on the evening that dinner was being served. This was where the real eye opener was. After meeting the other dinner guests (who were varied in age, profession and nationality) you could see that Terry and Marcello seamlessly ensured that everyone experienced a one-on-one service. Both dinner and breakfasts are served with only local fresh produce and let your mind wander as you dine overlooking the best of Tuscan countryside.

Outside you can wander through the gardens or olive groves or simply chill out by the poolside. If you decide to venture further afield, both Terry and Marcello are a wealth of local knowledge and will be only too delighted to advise you where to go, book a restaurant and how to get there.

Customer service is simply too ‘plastic’ a word to describe what I and the other guests experienced – Terry & Marcello ensure that each guest is treated individually – a rarity to find these days.

Without a doubt – Casa Portagioia stands out as being one of the most distinctive places I have stayed in. The friendliness of your hosts combined with the best of Tuscan accommodation makes this a sincerely delightful place to stay. Already planning my return visit for next year.

Don’t take my word for it – go check it out yourself.

Room Tip: Book well in advance - I booked only one day in advance not realising how popular Casa Portagioia is...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank Conall K

Reviewed 30 September 2011

Second time we stayed at this place, and definitely not the last time. Beautiful spot in the breathtaking valley of Chio. Great rooms, lovely garden and pool. Breakfast is an event in itself, with all the guest gathering, sometimes discussing until noon, while enjoying Marcello's great breakfasts, and Terry's savory comments. Great hiking over the surrounding mountains. Walk up to the ruins of the Rocca Montanina, take left, walk over the mountain ridge for a couple of km, take the first road left, back into the valley through the village of Polvani. 2 hours brisk walk.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank n3k
Reviewed 27 September 2011

This was our 6th visit to Casa Portagioia and it was where my now husband proposed to me, on the veranda at breakfast a year ago. We therefore decided that we had to get married from here, there really was no other choice for either of us. Time moved swiftly and in mid August this year we took over Casa Portagioia with several of our guests and married at the townhall in Cortona with all our friends and family in attendance. Terry and Marcello looked after us fabulously as usual, even though we were both in a complete daze for the week and totally disorganised (sorry guys). Marcello did my hair for the wedding and the photographer took some lovely photos at the house, even Terry looked good in them!

All our friends had a wonderful time and Terry & Marcello ensured that our wedding took place with barely a hicup (colluding with my husband, much to my surprise, to get me a fantastic cinque cento to take me to the town hall).

My only regret is that we had to leave for our honeymoon the day after the wedding, as we would so much have loved to relax by that lovely pool and eaten more of the delicious breakfasts! We also missed Marcello's fabulous cooking, as we had so many family events on that week, we just didn't have time (the memory of previous delicious meals will have to sustain us).

Running a B&B to the standard that T&M achieve is a huge amount of work and takes real dedication - how they do it without having a nervous breakdown will never cease to amaze me - Marcello is a saint. We can't wait to taste their new wine and see the wine cellar when its finished, but every time we need a memory of casa portagioia, I do have a bottle of their marvellous olive oil in my store cupboard!

Thank you guys from Paul and I for being there at the start of our engagement and the start of our married life, you made both very special and we hope that you will always be a part of our lives. We are coming back soon!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank janer1000London
Reviewed 26 September 2011

We chose this B&B mainly after reading the reviews from Trip advisor, and sure was it worth it. Both Marcello and Terry, ensured that the stay at their B&B is more of an experience. We stayed here for 3 nights, and only left with the feeling of, wish it were more.
Its advisable that you drive to this place - ensures that you have a lot more of lee way in driving around the other scenic parts of Tuscany, Right from Day 1, the entire drive around the nearby places were customized for us and we loved every bit of it. Attention to detail was given to such an extent that we were happy to sit back and just listen to the places they suggested, and every day ended up a happy experience.
The B&B in itself was a lovely experience and excellence was evident in every aspect of the design and place. Perfectly located amidst a quieter landscape, overlooking the mountains, it surely is a retreat into a lovely and peaceful life. We surely would recommend the place to every one who is planning a visit to this lovely city.

2  Thank Navchand
Reviewed 17 September 2011

We would really have preferred to keep this Tuscan Treasure to ourselves but it would seem that it is far too late for this. Somehow, Terry and Marcello seem to have the energy and the gift to make each new set of guests (and the flow of guests is ceaseless) feel as though they are the chosen ones of the day. And who doesn't like to be made to feel special? Go and experience it for yourselves.....

So much of all that happens at Casa Portagioia been said before, so all I will do is add an extract of a letter that we wrote to our hosts on our return to South Africa:

"...We have fallen quite a little in love with Tuscany - and you and your glorious Casa did much to contribute to our enjoyment of our first time in Italy. Although it is also true to say that you did ruin, more than a little, the other places in which we stayed.

Somehow the fruit was never as fresh or bountiful or beauteous; the breakfast pastries were never as light and heavenly or made with such love; the hosts were never quite as caring, quirky or interesting; the towel hooks and shelves were never in quite the right place in the bathrooms; the view from the bedroom window was never as glorious. Even the swimming pool waters were a little too chilly in comparison to yours.

But then all of this is what makes your Casa so very special......"

Baie dankie Terry and Marcello... ons hoop om terug te kom.....

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank immels
Reviewed 17 September 2011

On arriving at Casa Portagioia, it exceeded any expectations we had, after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. Everything about this property is perfection, with such attention to detail.
Terry and Marcello are amazing hosts in every way. The dinner parties are not to be missed!
We have already booked for next year, can't wait!

1  Thank Alan W
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Casa Portagioia exceeded any expectations we had following the reviews on Trip Advisor.
Everything about this accommodation was perfection, with such attention to detail. Terry and Marcello are amazing hosts in every way. We have already booked a longer stay for next year (can't wait) what more do we need to say!

1  Thank Crowthorne
Castello delle Serre
Castello delle Serre
#1 of 8 in Serre di Rapolano
Al Giardino degli Etruschi

Been to Casa Portagioia? Share your experiences!