“Jewel in Tuscany”
Review of Casa Portagioia

Casa Portagioia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Reading about Casa Portagioia does not do this little piece of paradise justice, yes, it sounds inviting but the setting tucked away down small roads leading you over little bridges, tiny villages and small enclaves, past fields of sunflowers, olive groves and vineyards, yet only a few kms from closest town is seriously special and relaxing.
Your hosts - Terry (a highly intelligent, caring man with a very dry English wit and banter) and his partner Marcello (gorgeous, caring and endlessly patient) have created a delightful bit of Italy with all the well thought out touches one would expect from an award winning B & B.
You do need a car to explore all the special villages and walled towns dotted across this wonderful part of Tuscany, yet my suggestion would be to not try to arrive late in the day or during night time.
Having had my luggage waylaid by Heathrow baggage failure (with Terry spending hours trying to get hold of information on my behalf was such a support at a difficult time) still allowed me to enjoy Marcello's great degustation dinner, meeting fellow travellers from UK, US, Germany at wonderful breakfasts' included in room price, wifi, clean crisp linens and spacious charming bedrooms, modern bathroomswith Italian touches (ladies - they have great hair dryers and quality bathroom amenities!), views over the wonderful gardens filled with plethora of colour and insects ( that Marcello loves photographing), 2 cute but demanding dogs - Tosca and Sammy that look soulfully and sing to you to be given tit-bits from the fresh tasty breakfasts including cereals, yoghurts, fresh bread rolls and jams, fresh fruits, wonderful aromatic coffee, melt in the mouth croissants, soft goo-ey omelettes filled with proscuitto and tomato was a great start to the days!
Their extensive grounds include olive groves (they make their own olive oil) a huge blue sparkling pool surrounded with hedges, flowers and lavender walkways so you do feel that lethargic relaxed mood take over when lounging around the pool and enjoying the views over neighbouring valleys and hillsides dotted with villages and towns. Should you wish to enjoy the surroundings and have a light lunch under the shady pergola with clumps of grapes and roses entwining around the pergola, looking out at the vistas, ask Marcello to prepare you a sandwich with prosecco! Take a moment to look at all the photos to get a feel for this piece of paradise, your hosts Terry and Marcello will offer advice and make bookings for events, restaurants', offering suggestions to enjoy scenic drives and special festivals to stop off and see.
I can only offer my personal views that after staying here, other places do not seem to measure up so do consider making this your last stop, I can understand why those who visit become return guests. Its' closed during the northern winter months so make sure you book a few days to experience this jewel you'll look forward to revisiting!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Talie9
Write a ReviewReviews (1,080)

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Our stay at Casa Portagioia was the highlight of our first trip to Italy. Marcello and Terry are truly incredible hosts. They received us warmly and had great suggestions for day trips and local restaurants. Our room was perfect with wonderful views of the Tuscan countryside. We enjoyed wandering around the vineyards and the beautiful gardens, inhaling the scent of lavender, rosemary, and roses. Our last night was capped off by a lovely wine tasting and delicious meal prepared by Marcello and Terry--it was truly memorable. All that being said, I think the best part of our visit to Casa Portagioia was meeting Marcello and Terry! Marcello is a great cook with an easy, welcoming nature. Terry has a wry sense of humor that kept us all laughing. Thank you both so much for your wonderful hospitality--we enjoyed every minute of our visit with you and can't wait to come back soon! Margaret and Robert

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Margaret H
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The location is exceptional, the place an absolute haven and Terry & Marcello a hoot!
The double act is a smokescreen for a couple of guys who take their business very seriously and, boy, do they deliver! Simply wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank simon s
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

What a wonderful and welcoming place. Thank you Marcello and Terry for welcoming us to you beautiful home. Our stay was perfect and we can't wait to come back. Thank you Marcello for organizing wine tasting and pizza and lots of laughter. Thank you Terry for your wonderful wit. I will miss it with my morning coffee. Arrivederci, Deb and Al

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Deb141
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My Finance, Aunt, and family friend stayed at Casa Portagioia last week for 3 days and nights.
I will try to avoid boring everyone by repeating what has already been said about Casa Portagioia. Now....let me begin.
Firstly, the gentlemen....Terry and Marcello....or, to be fair...Marcello and Terry. 2 of the loveliest people that I have had the pleasure of meeting. Real, genuine, caring hosts. That said, you will be challenged to ever find a pair like them. As soon as you meet them, you will realize that they are not simply "the owners", or "the hosts", or "the guys you booked with"....no no no....they are your friends. Yes...it is true...dear Terry has the most sarcastic wit. He is funny, intelligent, charismatic, and....extremely helpful in terms of guiding guest to maximize enjoyment during the stay. Now for Marcello....he's the friend everyone wants to have in life but don't always find....when you find a friend like him...you keep him...you cherish him. Marcello is a warm, charming, and caring soul that is very easy to talk to. Let's call him the ultimate "coffee talk partner". You get the picture....Casa Portagioia is a gorgeous place to stay....in one of the most amazing areas of the world...second to none....BUT....Terry and Marcello make this divine locale the absolute best of the best.
What to like....the grounds, the rooms, the impeccable landscaping, the 2 little dogs....Tuska and Sammy. They are adorable and a lot of fun. The rooms (our group had 3 rooms) are all really nice. You cannot pick a bad one. They all have great views and beautiful accomodations. The area is extremely quiet, so you don't have to worry about noise. You know how places never seem to look as great as they do in the photos on their websites? That is not the case here. CP is even better than the photos. It is amazing. The views of the Tuscan hills, olive orchards, and vineyard are incredible. The pool is gorgeous. It is a serene and relaxing place....a slice of heaven on earth.
Now for the advice for future guests.
1. CP is located about an hour or so outside of Siena and 1.5 hours or so from Florence. It is in a very quiet and rather secluded portion of Tuscany. I highly recommend renting a car. We did and we were glad we did. We drove from Florence and had no problems. It was our first time driving in Italy and we were quite nervous. GPS was a Godsend. However, I would not recommend trying to find CP at night....or driving in Tuscany for the first time at night. The area is very dark at night and you will most definitely have great difficulty finding CP.
2. Do not do what I did....do not cram you itinerary with too much activity. We stayed 3 days. I had booked 2 separate all day wine tours. Terry was not bashful about "suggesting" I dial it back. So I took his advice and cancelled one of our all day Montalcino tours. I was glad I did. It allowed us to spend time enjoying CP. Trust me, you don't book a stay at CP and use it as "home base" to do a bunch of day trips. You stay at CP to enjoy CP. If that is not your plan, then go elsewhere.
3. If you are booking a 2 week stay in Italy and running around to 4 different cities like we did, make sure you allow at least 3 days for CP...and...make it the last part of your trip. No better way to end a wonderful trip than a relaxing stay at CP.
4. Do email them before your trip and ask about car rentals, wine tours, restaurants, etc. Terry and Marcello are EXTREMELY helpful. You will save yourself a lot of time and effort and ensure that your stay is a home run.

To our hosts/friends...Terry and Marcello/Marcello and Terry....as well as Tuska and Sammy....I say "thank you". I hope to see you 4 again some day.

Room Tip: All rooms are gorgeous.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dan M
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was my first trip to Italy and I'm so happy I got to spend part of it at Casa Portagioia. I had a great time here! All has been said, but we found the rooms contemporary styled, clean, spacious and welcoming, the gardens and views absolutely wonderful, the tranquil setting of the pool, the pure and fresh mountain air - total relaxation. Friendly and helpful hosts - no trouble to suggest interesting day trips or a wine tour. Easy to write, but better to try it yourself!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014

A return to Casa Portagioia after a five year absence. What changed - Nothing! Everything so perfect, comfortable rooms, gardens that have certainly matured and look even more impressive than all those years ago. The setting here though is amazing - so much so that we have filmed much of the scenery here as backdrops for our compositing studio in NYC.

Besides being a great place to enjoy the comforts of Tuscany, Casa Portagioia is much more. It is almost like having your own home here, returning and finding everything - just so. Perfect in every way and - waiting to make our return visit.

-John boy

#2 of 4 in Castiglion Fiorentino
Castello delle Serre
Castello delle Serre
#1 of 8 in Serre di Rapolano

Been to Casa Portagioia? Share your experiences!