“Great base for exploring North Wales”

Ogwen Bank Caravan Park and Country Club
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Great base for exploring North Wales”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Just arrived back from Ogwen Bank after a week-long break in July and had a lovely time. My family and I had a two bedroom lodge right by the river and was a very pleasant setting. The lodge was slightly smaller than we expected, but soon got used to it. It had everything we needed, with all the relevant kitchen appliances in working order. There was even milk when we arrived, a nice touch.
But we had a power cut one night and only found the main switch in the morning. There is no number to contact if you have a problem in the small hours, so you have to wait until the following day to sort it out. The TV has only the basic freeview channels and there is also no wi-fi on site, meaning keeping yourself entertained in the evening was challenging at times. Installing wi-fi on site and perhaps adding a DVD player would be my main suggestions.
The park itself is set in stunning surroundings, and has a nice pub with very friendly staff. We ate there a couple of nights, with the food being reasonably priced and tasty (I recommend the Lamb!). Ogwen Bank is very close to the main tourist attractions in North Wales and Anglesey; and was certainly nice to come back to a peaceful and tranquil location after exploring the area.
With a couple of tweaks I would give this 5 out of 5, but would definitely recommend the park for anyone looking to stay in self-catering accomodation in the area.

Room Tip: Lodges by the river have the best views, but remember your insect repellant as there are plenty of m...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank jamosplits

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
UK
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Just in the middle of our stay at Ogwen Bank in lodge 26 and loving it so far. We took advantage of a special offer so got a very good deal.We arrived and found a bottle of milk and tea/coffee which was a nice touch and not something we have had at other lodges. The lodge is very nice and equipped with everything we need, TV, Dishwasher cooker and utensils etc etc and is in a beautiful area. Seen a couple of Rabbits and Squirrels knocking about too. The lady who worked on reception and in the bar is very friendly and I had the lamb special one night which was brilliant.

Only a short 10 walk minute into the village of Bethesda (if you cut through the bottom of the park) where there are a few shops if you need anything, Whilst Bangor is about 6 miles away down the A5.

We had to make our own beds as previous reviewers have said but that wasn't a problem at all.

My only gripe's to balance things out would be that the lodge does seem to have a lot of cobwebs about on lampshades and things and if you are a fan of the sunshine due to the large amount of tree's you won't get much directly outside the lodge, however the river that runs through and the waterfall is great.

We are lucky in that our lodge has a private space but most of them don't so you can't park directly at the lodge which isn't a major issue really as there are parking area's near the lodges anyway, But it has annoyed me a bit coming back to our lodge with shopping and things to find someone in "our" space leaving us to carry everything that bit further, Which isn't really the parks fault but just one of those things that I find annoying,

Regardless of that the park is brilliant and recommended for a chilled out break.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank williampatrick1969
Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

Just arrived home from a lovely 4 day break at ogwen bank country park, what a fantastic place!!! Myself and my partner along with my 20yr old daughter had a fantastic time! Stayed in lodge 29, upon our early arrival at 2pm the lodge was ready and we were given our keys, very clean and tidy, only thing is youve got to make your own beds up as they just leave the sheets/duvet cover in plastic straight from laundrette, but very pleasant staff!! We went out seeing the sites during the day, and at night from 5pm we visited the country club, they do cooked meals at reasonable prices although we didn't try them as we had taken our own food, but very good ales at great prices! Barmaid (Kat) made us feel very welcome and very chatty!! Loved her!!

• Stayed July 2013
7 Thank Ghostgirl72
wales
Reviewed 9 July 2013

we stayed in lodge 10 lovely and clean good location everything you need to make your stay comfortable we ate in the bar we had the lamb shoulder fantastic quality. a big thank you to catherine who works at the bar, we met some great people wendy ,steve were always on hand to give us directions to local places to visit we wanted to visit there are so many freindly people who spend time chatting about how they love coming to ogwen bank if you ever go there say hi to Dave from deb & steve we will go back for sure a big thank you to anwen for cleaning our lodge it was spotlessly clean

Room Tip: go enjoy like we did we wanted to stay longer
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank welsh-lady62
manchester
Reviewed 18 June 2013

me and my husband and 8 yr old daughter spent 3 nights here and loved it,stayed in lodge 24 which was lovely ,very clean and had a nice cosy feel to it with great view of the new zipwire from the outside decking.very nice to arrive to coffee ,tea ,sugar and milk.all the staff were very friendly ,especially bar staff and the meals there are really nice and large portions,they will even plate your food up so you can take it back to your lodge\caravan,cant wait to go back.

9 Thank harleystebrad
stephen l, Manager at Ogwen Bank Caravan Park and Country Club, responded to this review, 30 June 2013
Thank you for your review. It is a good view from your lodge to see the Zip Wire and can keep you amused for hours, but I must admit I myself could not go on the zip wire and I am put to shame when you see children having such an amazing time. Thank you very much from all the staff at Ogwen Bank and we look forward to seeing you all again.
Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Myself, partner and little boy (aged 2) just spent 4 nights at Ogwen bank in lodge number 3. We arrived early at 2:30pm but our cabin was ready so we were given the keys straight away and directed to our lodge right at the far end of the site. The lodge was lovely, really clean, well stocked kitchen facilities and tea, coffee and a pint of milk waiting for us (lovely extra touch).

I'd read some reviews about the quarry road, which lodge 3 is right by, but I can honestly say it wasn't a problem I didn't find it noisy and it didn't detract from the lovely setting.

We came well prepared with our own food but decided to eat in the club house one evening and I'm really pleased we did. The food was delicious, very generous portions and I think quite reasonable. The bar staff were very friendly and welcoming so would definitely recommend popping in. There was also a park on site which my little boy loved and all in all the site was very well tended and looked after.

Bethesda, as some other reviews suggest, is nothing to write home about but has a few shops for groceries and take aways so can't say it was a problem.

All in all a great stay away - my little boy is already asking when can we go back to see the rabbits and ducks (frequent visitors to outside our lodge). The only down side to our logde was the pond outside attracted a lot of midges so we came back with plenty little bites but it was one very minor thing amongst lots of positives.

Definitely hope to return!

Room Tip: If you have very young children lodge 3 does have a pond right outside and the river on the other si...
7 Thank WinnieRog
All the staff at Ogwen Bank would like to thank you for your review. We were delighted to hear that your son enjoyed the Rabbit & the Ducks, It is amazing to see a child’s reaction, when they see the animals and wildlife in a relaxed environment. We look forward to meeting you all again.
cheshire
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Lived up to what we expected from the drive to there and arriving, very quiet well looked after and beautiful just what we needed as we both work hard . Staff lovely and the Lodge was fantastic huge inside we had no17 for the two of us . We had just got engaged so my fiance booked this at a huge discount only a week before arriving, it overlooked the river below, even the quarry traffic didn't interrupt it only got busy in mornings and evenings , they have to work too ! Inside was very clean , beds you have to make up but slept like a log which I don't in a strange bed .
Can't moan about anything even the rip in the chair wasn't an issue , everything you needed was in there . We took our own music there was even a sponge, cloth, tea, coffee and dishwasher tablets .
The shower was fantastic the water pressure didn't drop like some places, heating was instant if needed , gas cooker, dishwasher, washing machine . I would never go back to a caravan now after this lodge my first ever and we will be returning . We went the week the children went back so it was very quite . Drive into Bethesda and Tesco express ....bingo.
We picked a week of glorious sunshine so lying by the lake and waterfalls was surreal even me stepping into a cowpat was something to remember !
Do go visit The Joy of Life 10 minutes down the road we never did explore it all .
We both sat out till early hours and we must of been visited lots a times by the famous Ogwen Cyril the Squirrel and numerous birds , I even took bird food !
The only downside is that the week ended too quickly and the big woman next door sunbathing at tea time in her bikini put me off my dinner every evening there should be a law against it :)

Well done Ogwen and the staff ,best holiday park I have ever been too and trust me there is alot in the last 20 years . You want a peaceful time this is for you we will be back . Big thankyou

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
We loved your review especially the naming of the squirrel “ CYRIL” he has been called many a name but I must admit this is the best yet :) We look forward to seeing you both again. Thank you from all the staff at Ogwen Bank & Cyril
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethesda
The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia
#2 of 4 in Bethesda
Joys of Life
Joys of Life
#1 of 3 in Bethesda

Been to Ogwen Bank Caravan Park and Country Club? Share your experiences!