“Great location, friendly staff”
Review of Lochboisdale Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lochboisdale
Lochboisdale Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lochboisdale
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed here in large part because it was right next to the ferry terminal, and we had an early boat to catch. We'd read mixed reviews about the hotel but actually found it a very pleasant stay. Our room (8) was at the furthest end of the corridor and was quiet and had terrific views out of both its windows. The food was OK and on the morning that we left, we were given bacon sandwiches to take for our journey. We were treated well by the staff - it's a family run hotel and everyone was friendly and helpful. I'd recommend it - as long as you ask for a room away from the public bar...

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the public bar
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed a night here before catching the ferry to Oban. It's so close to the ferry that if you tripped out of the door you'd probably fall on to the ferry! It has a great position with good views over the harbour. The building is tired but our room was comfortable and clean. The bar is very welcoming and had a lovely atmosphere, we ate in the sunroom which was fine. The food was simple but very we'll done, I had the steak pie which was excellent, people on the next table had lobster which looked amazing. The staff were all genuinely friendly and pleasant, and couldn't be more helpful. Ideally the hotel could do with having some money spent on it, but it has a charm and you feel they are doing their best in very difficult circumstances. I really enjoyed my stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank walkerSuffolk
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel recently and were very pleasantly surprised over other visits in recent years!
I fully agree with all the other correspondents on the state of this hotel, which is indeed very handy for catching the ferry to Oban and Barra. On this occasion however, we felt things had improved, certainly with regard to the room we had. The same armchair in the lounge however, still had a big hole in the seat as previous occasions!
We were welcomed to the hotel by the owner at reception, although we did have to find our own room! Not that difficult I might add!
The large room was so welcoming straight away - with a wonderful view of the harbour, a king-sized bed, a huge bathroom, plenty of towels, hot water, tea and coffee - and all the additions one would expect from a decent hotel. The bed turned out to be very comfortable too! Loads of hot water too, from a very efficient electric shower!
There was only one thing that spoilt it all - dirty shower curtains. Difficult to solve, as the room had an old-fashioned high-sided bath, with curtains on both sides - but these definitely could have been much cleaner! But this was definitely the only 'down' point.
We enjoyed an very good dinner in the hotel too. We each had different starters and main courses - and they all turned out to be delicious, while the apple crumble to finish with, was absolutely first class!
Breakfast too was really good, with a choice of juices, porridge or cereals and then a whole list of cooked items, with toast, tea and coffee.
Throughout our visit, the hotel staff were very helpful, friendly and most polite, being attentive all evening, without being intrusive.The same waitress served breakfast as served dinner the night before and she was excellent, with a kind word for everyone!
In spite of a very windy night, with lashing rain the whole time, we both slept well and felt the hotel was a very reasonable price for what was on offer and apart from the one 'down point', everything was just great! We will certainly be back again in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tankerman2013
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I've read many of the previous reviews of this hotel, and find them harsh.
The hotel, is right next to the ferry, and is obviously much used by travellers for one night stays.
Yes, the hotel is a little tired, and yes they could do with updating some of the bathrooms / showers, but my room was perfectly adequate. I stayed in a twin, overlooking the Loch, and thus had a marvellous view. The room and bathroom were clean, and adequate for what I required. (a good nights sleep and a scrub up after a long day).
I didn't see it but an otter had run across the lawn in front of my room as I was getting up in the morning. I watched a white tailed sea eagle from outside the hotel. How magnificent is that?
We ate and drank in the bar, nice beer and a lovely salmon dish.
So, the doomsayers mark this hotel down, I disagree, its not perfect, its a bit shabby, but you get what you pay for.
If you want a luxury boutique hotel, pay more and go elsewhere!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank PaulWhitehead409
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We had a really tasty dinner in the Lochboisdale Hotel. On Fridays they have a great deal, a sirloin steak and a dram for £13 a head, brilliant. The evening was so enjoyable our table looked down the loch and food was superb. The service was brisk and professional, thank you we will be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mike w
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night prior to our ferry trip back to Oban at the end of our fantastic stay in the Outer Hebrides. My initial reaction when I saw the hotel was what a great location on the headland just above the ferry terminal, but from that point onwards the superlatives ended. The Hotel is in dire need of refurbishment in all areas. The host were friendly, but the hotel lacked any atmosphere and had a depressing drabness about it. The rooms were old and worn and the bathroom had a cracked bath, without a proper shower, which meant having to sit or squat in the bath to shower yourself with the hand held one attached to the mixer tap, not my idea of fun!!. The food was reasonable, as we ate in the restaurant in the evening and then breakfast before getting the ferry. I sensed that this was a bit of a transit hotel for the ferry passengers, but based on the excellent accommodation I had experienced throughout the trip this was a complete let down at the end of a memorable holiday.

Room Tip: If you can find one with a proper shower that might be a bonus
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank tug568wil
Reviewed 23 April 2014

In such a remote rural location, it hard to see how this place makes any money, and whilst it tries hard, it falls short. Clean room, clean towels. No proper shower, weak heating. New carpets and paint on stairs, but shabby overall. Reception smelt, not sure if it was damp or dog, or both.

I ate in the bar, and had an excellent local fish soup and a very poor chicken curry. Good breakfast.

Good staff, but £76 for room and evening meal was too much.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank AH444

Been to Lochboisdale Hotel? Share your experiences!