“Perfect location”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Clarens
Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

The protea is greatly situated, near all good restaurants, delis and art galleries. Service is great. They have a good selection at breakfast and some snug fireplaces to sit by in the evenings. The swimming pool and deck have great views of the mountains. Would recommend people to stay there.

• Stayed: September 2013
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Dear Chantelle D

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.

Our location is certainly beneficial for GUESTS and I am thrilled you took advantage of this. Clarens is full of history and is home to amazing artwork, not to mention the beauty of the natural landscape.

The chefs do their best to provide a wide selection of fresh and wholesome dishes throughout the day, especially when one needs to fill their tanks at breakfast.

I will commend the STAFF on their outstanding commitment to deliver the best GUEST service, which will motivate them to continue their efforts.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

I was one of about 80 cyclist and their families to stay in the hotel this past week-end. The hotel managed the group very well and were excellent hosts. Food was good, accommodation/rooms were good and very central to the town. Brilliant views too.

Room Tip: My only comment is that the sleeping pillows are very big. Perhaps ask for a normal pillow at recept...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Dear Rob S

Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay at Protea Hotel Clarens.

My TEAM will be very proud to know that you enjoyed not only your meals with us, but the overall stay. It was an absolute honor to host the cycling group and look forward to welcoming you back next year for the tour.

Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

Having toured the Cape Province for three weeks, sleeping in various self catering and B&B units, we decided to spoil ourselves on the last night with luxury or so we thought. Arriving at Clarens we booked into the Protea Hotel. The staff were extremly helpful overall. The menu and breakfast (R150.00) was overprised. We had supper elsewhere. Entering our room later, there was a distinct raw sewerage smell in the room!! Closing the toilet door helped abit. For the first time in my life I had a shower that was to hot!! Nothing I did could cool the water temparature! Needless to say it was a shower I want to forget. In conclusion, we had far better quality service from the B&B's and self catering chalets. Protea Hotels you have lost a customer and I certainly won't promote you!!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank mufasa1_zn

Dear Mufasa1_zn

Thank you for posting your comment on TripAdvisor about your recent stay with us. Your feedback is vital for us to ensure that we maintain the high standards that we are proud to offer.

Thank you for taking our call to discuss the concerns and the disappointments you experienced whilst staying with us. It is very disappointing to us that we were not able to exceed or even meet your expectations. We will converse with you again regarding the plumbers report as to why this has occurred.

We hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to the Jewel of the Eastern Free State and redeem ourselves in your eyes.

Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

The staff are excellent. Friendly, helpful. Was surprised when the checkin clark addressed me by my name. Location is also good for golden gate. Room and foyer was modern. Drive via Bethlehem at night, road was fine.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank tabboozn
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear tabboozn

A review filled with positive comments and praises of the STAFF is exactly what I like to see. Thank you for staying with us and for posting a review on TripAdvisor.

We strive to create a warm and friendly environment for our GUESTS and the TEAM will be pleased when they hear of your comments. I am glad that we were able to not only meet, but exceed your expectations during your stay.

Be sure to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

A clean Hotel with very friendly staff. Very conveniently located & safe area to walk in the evenings.
The rooms with the mountain view are worth money but if you are a light sleeper ask for the second floor because those above the kitchen are noisy from 04:00 yesterday morning and 05:00 this morning.

Room Tip: Mountain view but on the 2nd floor
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Dear Andries S

Thank you for posting your comments about your recent stay at the Protea Hotel Clarens.

I am most thrilled to hear that you were able to take full advantage of the views that our upgraded rooms provide, as well as the location of the hotel.

Thank you for commenting on the service you received from my TEAM. We are constantly working towards the best GUEST service, and I am very proud that they were able to provide you with such friendly service.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the noise disturbance that you encountered in the morning. I can assure you that I will be discussing this with the kitchen TEAM to prevent similar occurrences in the future.

I trust that we will welcome you back in the very near future.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I booked 10 rooms at this hotel over a very quiet weekend in Clarens (one after a long weekend) and was fairly disappointed, that with such a large booking, no effort was made to thank me (acknowledgement via a room upgrade, box of chocolates or even a birthday card would have gone a long way).

I was put in a room overlooking the car park, which was not a great view, but the actual room was clean and modern (shower in the open with no privacy), with all the necessary amenities (tv, kettle, aircon).

Breakfast was generally good although they did run out of eggs (which to this day, we still wonder how a chain hotel, with experienced kitchen staff , knowing the exact room occupancy , can run out of eggs) and only made an effort to get more, when we demanded they go to the supermarket up the road.

The hotel is in a fabulous location and the reception staff were friendly.

Overall a modern, clean and well located hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Teresa K
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Dear Teresa K

Thank you for posting your comments about your recent visit to Clarens and for the large booking you made with us.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for us not making your birthday a special occasion, this was an oversight on our part and should never have happened as there was a note on your reservation. At the time of check-in, there were unfortunately no upgrade rooms available for us to facilitate a complimentary upgrade.

I am at a complete loss of words regarding the eggs in the kitchen as we have a fully stocked pantry. There is no excuse for stock shortages and I can only apologise for the inconsistent service delivery.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for a less than perfect stay as we strive for best GUEST service.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Please feel free to contact me directly at gm@phclarens.co.za.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

we used this hotel as a point for touring and hiking the north side of drakensburg mountain.
its the perfect location , close to golden gate national park 17 kms away and also bethlehem on the left 36 kms away ( which is a nice town woth a casdino ).
every place good to visit is not more than 100 kms away, but be mindfull roads are not straight .

this hotel is beautifull, the rooms facing the mountain has amazing views .
it just so happened we styed in 2 seperate rooms
216 and 106
106 had a balcony
i think 206 was standard with no balcony but still facing the mountain.

the buffet dinners where good.
the breakfast excellent.
staff excellent , and best of all walking access to everything in clarens.

only gripe , i dont know personal preference the pillows are not comfortable.
wee aksed for the old type.

perfect for adventurers.

Room Tip: book in adavance for mauntain view. rooms are not that big but just right
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Dear ashley d

Thank you for your wonderful feedback!

I am happy to hear that you got to explore our beautiful town and all the attractions and shops that are within walking distance from our hotel. The nearby Golden Gate National Park is also a must visit, so I am sure your hikes in the Drakensberg must have been spectacular.

We are definitely in a prime location when visiting the town of Clarens and when coupled with comfortable accommodation, great food and spectacular views; one is sure to have a lovely time. The chef & TEAM will no doubt be delighted with your positive comments about the food and I will be sure to commend the STAFF on offering the best GUEST service.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another adventure.

Protea Hotel Clarens

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clarens
Mont d'Or Hotel
#1 of 39 in Clarens
Knock Out View Clarens
Knock Out View Clarens
#5 of 39 in Clarens

Been to Protea Hotel Clarens? Share your experiences!