Protea Hotel Clarens
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
Thendele Hutted camp(uKhahlamba-Drakensberg Park)
  • Breakfast included
Harrismith Inn(Harrismith)
  • Pool
All reviewslovely hoteldeluxe roomrecommend this hotel to anyonebuffet breakfastwithin walking distancelarge varietyrooms are smallpublic areasmountain viewrestaurants and shopscomfortable stayundercover parkingthe location is perfectart galleriessurrounding mountainsgolden gate national parkmaluti mountains
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 February 2014

As a group we checked into the Hotel just because its close to all the ameneties and easier. Everything is close to all the ameneties. Staff is friendly and willing to please, rooms are clean and have a gret view of the mountian. This is just another Hotel in the quaint little town of Clarens and well placed for a stopover.

Room Tip: Bar prices are expensive
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Lee-Ann B, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear JonkerNev
Thank you for visiting the Protea Hotel Clarens, and more importantly for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your comments regarding my TEAM, I am certain that your compliments will fill them with pride and keep them motivated in their search for “Best GUEST Service”.

The Protea Hotel Clarens is located very centrally with easy access to all the galleries and shops. I am delighted that you found this convenient and that you were able to enjoy the view from your room.

Once again, thank you for visiting the Protea Hotel Clarens.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I cannot comment on the standard of the hotel or its facilities - other than to state that the "pool" is little more than a plunge pool - for the simple reason that the hotel double booked the Deluxe King Room that I had reserved over six months previously. Since the other party was a tour group that had apparently booked the entire hotel for one of the two nights that I had reserved I was left, after a long journey, with a very nasty choice. Yes they had - having discovered their error only two days before my arrival - found alternative accommodation at a discount to what I would have paid at the Protea. This alternative did however have severe limitations and was not what I would have chosen in the first place.
Consequently be very careful as an independent traveller in booking a room here. However if you really want to I recommended that you check in advance of arrival with the Reservations Manager - Daniel Motlokoa - that they are in a position to honour your reservation.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hezac
Lee-Ann B, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Hezac

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay in Clarens.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the less than welcoming feeling you had when you arrived at the hotel.
I assure you that as an individual traveler, you are our most valued GUEST and that this is not a regular occurrence.

Again, please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 17 January 2014

This hotel is situated in the shopping centre of Clarens. Everything is within walking distance from the hotel. The staff is friendly, the rooms were clean and well-equipped, the breakfast scrumptious with a large variety to choose from. We spent two nights at this hotel - 1 night after Christmas and 1 night in the first week of January. The 2nd time we were treated with a lovely letter and chocolate on our bed to welcome us back. Small things like this make all the difference.

Room Tip: A room with a mountain view is highly recommended.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carina D
Lee-Ann B, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear Carina D

Thank you so much for the positive review on Protea Hotel Clarens, we always strive to give the best GUEST service and we are happy that we did just that and even exceeded your expectations.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Well located in Clarens and close to the Lesotho border crossing. The staff were friendly and helpful. Rooms were well designed and clean and the breakfast was excellent. Our daughter loved the automatic pancake maker!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Lee-Ann B, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Grumpybrother
What a wonderful review of your recent stay at the Protea Hotel Clarens.

Thank you for your comments regarding my STAFF as well as the quality of Breakfast. We are constantly in search of excellence and it is wonderful to hear that we were able to meet your expectations and create a moment of magic for your daughter at breakfast with the pancake maker.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

The Protea in Clarens is well placed and has good views of the Maluti mountains. It is clean and the service is excellent. The Adamo restaurant in the hotel is top class - superb food and great wine list. If you like a good red blend - try Beyerskloof Synergy or Ribshack Red.
Breakfast is very good with a large variety of breakfast fare.
There are a few annoying things, mainly in the design - the shower and hand basin is actually in the room itself - only the toilet is separate. The flow of water in the shower is poor for such a large shower head. The pool is more like a large bath plonked on the patio, quite strange. If the architect had made use of the roof space - a garden, a proper pool and a cocktail bar - this hotel would be amazing! But overall a good stay (long weekend) - and even if you choose to stay somewhere else in Clarens the restaurant is a must visit!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Susan V
Thank you for staying at the Protea Hotel Clarens and for comment on your stay with us.

The hotel is located in a prime spot to take full advantage of the views of the surrounding mountains and it is wonderful to hear that you were able to enjoy the views.

My TEAM strives for excellence and it is very rewarding to hear that we were able to meet your expectations not only with great food but also with excellent service.

The hotel was designed with the intention of creating an “open” feeling which is why the showers and basins were placed in the room. We do have 5 rooms available with en-suite bathrooms which you may find a little more appropriate.

I will most definitely mention your idea of a cocktail bar and enlarged pool to the architect for future developments.

Thank you again for your wonderful comments and helpful hints for consideration.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Enjoy the festive season and travel safely if you are on the roads over this period.