• Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
US$169
US$158
  • Pool
Maliba Mountain Lodge(Tsehlanyane National Park)
  • Breakfast included
Harrismith Inn(Harrismith)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
All reviewslovely hoteldeluxe roomrecommend this hotel to anyonebuffet breakfastwithin walking distancelarge varietyrooms are smallpublic areasmountain viewrestaurants and shopscomfortable stayundercover parkingthe location is perfectart galleriessurrounding mountainsgolden gate national parkmaluti mountains
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This was our first stay in this hotel. It was really a nice surprise. Beautiful rooms, huge king size bed, lovely bathroom and shower. We had a mountain facing room so could enjoy the beautiful views. The hotel is very central so unless you are planning to visit the many attractions outside of Clarens, you can walk everywhere. We had breakfast daily, a super buffet.

Room Tip: I requested a mountain facing room with a balcony. That way you can enjoy the views from the comfort of your own private patio and enjoy a bottle of wine in private. There is a in-room fridge for your convenience.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Pam H

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit to Protea Hotel Clarens.

I am so glad that you had a wonderful stay with us and that you were able to enjoy our king sized beds. More importantly, the views from the upgraded rooms are breathtaking and I am very pleased that you were able to take in their splendor. I am equally delighted to learn that you made use of the Adamo restaurant and enjoyed the offerings.

Thank you again for posting your review, I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Booked interleading rooms . We are a family with two teens.Unfortunately we booked on a busy weekend as it is school holidays and could only secure standard rooms. The rooms were comfortable and there was no noise in the morning. The service was excellent.The check in at reception was quick and efficient. We callled housekeeping twice , once for towels and the second time for an ironing board. On both occasions they responded very quickly.Our rooms were serviced well with proper replenishment of amenities. The locations of this hotel is excellent and a short walk away from the restaurants, galleries, shops and centre. I loved how conveniently situated the hotel was. There is a lovely fireplace next to the bar and I enjoyed having pre dinner drinks there. I did not have dinner at the hotel but noticed that it was very busy every night for dinner. Breakfast was ok but the wait for the omelettes was a bit too long and I gave up waiting in the queue. The hotel should look into this-during peak periods.Also I found it difficult getting toast as the queue for the egg station was blocking access to the toaster. I also found the configuration of the room a bit inconvenient as the shower, in the standard room, is in the room and not separated. This was difficult with my teens who needed some privacy. The next time I will also book a room with a view. This is a lovely hotel in a beautiful part of the world, but they need to pay attention to breakfast and make the interleading family rooms more family friendly.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view. If you need a bit of privacy, the standard rooms are not for you as the shower is in the room. Enquire about the bathrooms in the other rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Prithie

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your experience with us.

I am delighted to hear that my TEAM looked after you and addressed any requests you had with speed. I will most definitely make them aware that what they do does not go unnoticed and that you were pleased with our service offering.

I sincerely apologize that the room configuration was not to your liking, but I completely agree that the views offered from the upgraded rooms are an absolute must. Be sure to take advantage of the advance purchase offerings to secure a room with a view at the best available rate.

Thank you for your comments and constructive advice about our breakfast offering. We have implemented an “egg speciality” dish during busy periods to minimize the delays and offer additional value to our breakfast. I hope that you will visit us again soon and take the opportunity to enjoy one of these offerings.

Again, thank you for your review. I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for the weekend if the 18th July 2014. We booked 2 rooms. We stayed in the Superior Deluxe rooms. The rooms themselves were spacious and clean. Check in was quick and easy. Our stay was wonderful until we decided to watch the rugby and ear dinner at the hotel on the Saturday night. There was a packed lounge and bar area due to the rugby with only 1 staff member on duty to attend to the bar, room service and dining area. So if you wanted a drink at the bar and the staff member had been called away for room service you had to wait a few minutes to be served a drink. After complaining, 2 additional staff members were called to assist the busy bar area.

I was very disappointed in the female staff member behind the reception desk on Saturday night who couldn't even advise me if the dinner menu was a la carte or not. She had no interest at all and couldn't even be bothered to smile.

Dinner was a nightmare as we ordered simple sandwiches and a beef burger. It took 1 hour to bring, this after 2 requests for our meals. When the meals arrived, the roll was rick hard that you couldn't even cut through it and the ciabatta bread was also hard with no filling at all. It was disgusting to be served that in a so called 4 star establishment.

Unfortunately our bill was thrn incorrect as we had been charged for drinks which we hadn't consumed. We demanded our meals not be charged for as after complaining to the manager, he still didn't come back to us regarding our disgusting meals. Nor did he offer an apology or explanation.

I would stay here again for the accommodation and becausebi am a prokard member but i will not drink or eat anything there again. Lots of amazing eating establishments within walking distance of the hotel.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear SadieSteytler

Thank you for visiting Protea Hotel Clarens and your review of your recent stay with us.

How disappointing to learn that your experience with us was less than perfect. I am sincerely sorry that your dining experience with us was so disappointing and that STAFF did not attend to you with a sense of urgency.

We appreciate your visits to us, and I can assure you that should you visit us again, the restaurant will not disappoint.

Thank you again for your review and I look forward to your next visit,

Reviewed 19 July 2014

great staff , nice rooms , good breakfast , central location brilliant walking everywhere settle once kind of Hotel! Modern and new. Had inter-leading family room .... only showers and no bath. Slightly inconvenient but other than that highly recommendable!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Travellingpete6

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at Protea Hotel Clarens.

What a lovely review. It is wonderful to know that you were able to take full advantage of our location and enjoy breakfast with us. Thank you for your comments about the STAFF, I know that they will be motivated by your comment and will keep up the service.

My apologies that the room configuration for the inter-leading room was less than what you were hoping for.

Again, thank you for your comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future,

Reviewed 12 July 2014

The positives are that the staff are very accommodating and arranged a baby cot, baby bath. Beds are very comfortable and in room dining was good. Staff are very helpful, polite and friendly.

On the downside breakfast was not great, no nice pastries, didn't find the quality of the hot food very good, not very tasty and there was little variety. A big disappointment is that the inter leading family rooms only have showers, and no baths, which is very strange for one of the coldest places in South Africa. We had to bath baby in a small baby bath in the shower. We found the room poorly insulated against very cold weather (this week was absolutely freezing) and we woke up to a fridge of a room even though windows in bedrooms are double glazed. The bathroom venting wasted the double glazing effort and the hotel hallways were ICE COLD! In room Wi Fi does not work at all . Very poor reception

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear ZAExplorer

Thank you for your review and your kind comments about the STAFF and their helpfulness.

I sincerely apologize that the room configuration was not to your liking and that you had a very cold room and passage experience. The inter-leading rooms have been a recent addition at the hotel and I fully understand the awkwardness of the in-room shower for families. I will escalate your comments and see if there is any potential to change the room configuration for future visitors.

Thank you for your review on your dining experience, I assure you that the Kitchen Brigade has been addressed and actions have been taken to ensure that our breakfast improves.

The hotel WiFi is on separate lines with 2 modems – we have contacted our service provider and they have been able to resolve the reception problem. My apologies that you were not able to take advantage of this service offering from the hotel during your stay.

Again, thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us,

I hope to welcome you back soon,