“Space to roam”

De Ark Mountain Lodge
London, United Kingdom
“Space to roam”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We had a great short stay at this place with hosts Juanita and Danny. Danny always made us feel warmly welcome in the lodge and Juanita made huge and delicious evening meals, and I loved the fresh home baked bread and 3 course breakfasts. The farm has a couple of walks that we did amongst the zebra and wildebeest and we also opted to sit and read in the space and breathe in the mountain air. Going out to explore by car is possible, and Golden Gate isn't far, but we didn't fancy putting our poor little hire car through the mill too many times - the drive requires a decent sized vehicle really, and anyway we'd come to rest.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrDeeGee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Our family of four had a two night stay at De Ark in cottage nr 4. The cottage has the most amazing view over the mountains towards Clarens. It was very clean and beautifuly furnished. It has a cosy fire-place which, together with the oil heater, made us unaware of the sub-zero temperatures at night. Breakfast was delicious and Juanita and Danie are caring and welcoming hosts. The gravel road of only about 5 km takes about 20 min to travel with ordinary sedan vehicles because of some sharp rocks in the road. None the less, we will try our best to visit De Ark again sometime soon.

Stayed July 2014
Sussex
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Peace and tranquility, stunning views and great food.
If you want to get away from it all, enjoy good walking with no one else around, drive into Lesotho for this day, and watch a wonderful sunset this is the place to visit.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I stayed at De Ark whilst travelling back to the UK from Durban. After a very stressful week tying up my fathers house since he past away, I certainly needed some relaxation. Arriving at De Ark I realised this was exactly what I needed. I staying in cottage no. 5. If you sit on the veranda you can't hear a sound. Nothing, it was fantastic!

I ate at the lodge every night as I was travelling alone. The lodge is close enough to go out to Clarens in the evening but the tranquillity and peace at the lodge was good enough for me. Food was great. Janita and Darnie are good cooks. Hence Janita's kitchen. Darnie's tomato jam was a great hit. My host were so accommodating. I could not ask for more. The first night they invited me to go for a drive to check up on the animals of the lodge. This was nice and so good to speak Afrikaans after so many years living in the UK. It is great to eat dinner and breakfast with your hosts. The bar was great with great memorabilia and if you wish you can watch TV.It was like a home from home. I was not feeling too well after picking up a bug in Durban. Janita went to town to shop. She called me and asked if I wanted her to pick some medicine up for me. Not often you get such accommodating hosts. All in all I would rate this place a 5. For the peace and quiet and my hosts.

Room Tip: Get one of the stone cottages.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed there for a few nights Jan 2013. It's great location, amazing view, very helpful host Kathy (if I'm not mistaken, sorry ). Food was great too, breakfast very various ❤️ e.g. home made natural yogurt, eggs, dinner was home-made brai (BBQ). Uliana

• Stayed January 2013
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

We found this place online and decided to give it a try. The website is great and shows the awesome panoramic views in summer. In winter the views are still awesome but not as colourful. Based on the research we did, the prices seemed good compared to general prices in Clarens. We stayed in chalets 5 and 6. Other reviewers have noted that these need an upgrade to bring them out of the 80's. however they were very comfortable and the fire places worked excellently (other reviewers had issues with these so I guess they got some maintenance). The staff were all very friendly and helpful, including phoning us one day to apologise for accidentally breaking a bottle of cough syrup - glad they phoned as we were able to replace it in town. We had dinner at the l lodge on our first night and it, together with the breakfasts, were excellent home cooked food. Hopefully when we return I will not be sick and we can enjoy some walks in this beautiful setting.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TS_SouthAfrica
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We decided to visit Golden Gate again using the long Eastern weekend, two families, 10 people. De Ark was an excellent choice, very good value for money, reasonable size and clean rooms, good breakfast and very nice dinner, very friendly staff who are ready to help in anything. The location is just perfect, far enough from the crowd, but close enough if you wouldlike to have a drink or the dinner in Clarens, very close to the Golden Gate park, wonderful view to the mountain and the valley as well as great opportunity to walk/hike in the farm or the nearby farms - we had excellent guided walk in the last day with Romario. Various activities (quad, horse ride, 4x4, archery etc) are also available nearby. We decided to visit the Tugela Falls, about 2 hrs drive to get to the car park, trail start point, and took an other 4.5 hrs to do the trail, including the chain ladders, was an amazing trail, breath taking view. As per our experience, De Ark is ideal place for families (we were with teen age kids) or small groups especially if you are looking for activities in or nearby, like the open space and would like to avoid the crowd. We deffinitelly will try to come back again, still many trails and activities are waiting for us.

Room Tip: 1 - 4 are good,