Aspen Guest House
Hotels.com
Kiara Lodge(Clarens)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscomfortable kingcrisp white linengreat locationwithin walking distancebeautiful surroundingsthe ownerfree stateattention to detailmattresstown
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We were coming to the end of our month long road trip and decided to stay one night - Monday night in Clarens! Aspen Guesthouse was recommended and we were very happy when we arrived to find a large very clean room with a huge super comfortable bed!! Warm on a rather chilly night the house was very welcoming! Breakfast was a little different - quiche and we missed our hosts, no where to be seen. The competent staff made us welcome though!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We have had a whale of a time, beautiful looking rooms, great hostess, lovely view, everything clean and very adaptable!!
You can have breakfast in the garden ;-), or indoors. Food is wonderful.
She has 2 lovely Danes who are the big friendly giants from the Roald Dahl books
You do not have to connect, they stay in a different part of the house, unless your son falls in love with them!!

Room Tip: Have a look at the different rooms and pick your choice, they all have a great view, they are all different and they have all their own charm. ENJOY|!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2012

It took me a while to write this review because I desperately wanted to rate this property better then what I did. I rely heavily on Tripadviser's members' reviews when planning my holidays, so, at the end, I felt that I should write this review and be as fair as possible with it.
The reason why I personally wanted to rate it better is the owner of Aspen Guest House, who is really, really nice. She accepted our one night booking during a very busy long weekend when everything in Clarens was jam-packed. She did not even requested us to pay a deposit to confirm our booking and kept accommodation available for us. When we arrived it was almost impossible to find place to eat that was not already fully booked for the evening, but she found a table for us in rather nice restaurant. The guest house has a great location, very close to the village centre, but still on a doorstep of the mountains. We adored her dogs. What we have seen of the house itself, it is very artistic and quirky, with loads of character.
After all the praises, I come to the point where I have to justify the low rating. We were accommodated not in the guest house, but in the larger of two adjacent self-catering cottages. I have not seen the bedrooms at the main house, but the cottage is no match to the rest of the it. It felt like it was furnished with hand-downs, especially the living area. It was well equipped for self-catering purposes, but staying one night only, it was not what we needed. That night was very cold and all the heaters could not bring the room temperature anyway close to pleasant one. We were thankful for electric blankets. Bed in the main bedroom was comfortable and that room is the best part of the cottage. Level of the cleanliness was not unacceptable, but left a lot of space for the improvement. I would advise anyone to opt for the main house, when staying in Aspen Guest House. In my opinion, even with all the negatives mentioned, this property provides a good value for money.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Ana16
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We stayed two nights at the Aspen Guest House, selecting it primarily for its location and other reviews. We could not have been happier with our stay. Janette is great--very attentive and helpful. The property is right next to a nature reserve so we were able to take morning hikes each day, a great way to start the day and take in the beautiful scenery around Clarens. The house is an easy walk from the town center with a beautiful garden. They allow pets, which is nice for those who want to travel with their dogs.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We've stayed at Aspen on numerous occasions and will do so many more times! What a beautiful guesthouse! The rooms are all individually themed and my favourite has to be the Writers' room. It has an amazing view, soft and comfy beds with amazing linen! The whole guesthouse is beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean. The breakfast is delicious with homemade bread,jam and yummy cheeses.

I highly recommend a stay here to any and everyone!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends