“Dinner for one with tasty food”
Review of Pane E Pomodoro

Pane E Pomodoro
Reserve with
Save up to 30% when you reserve online *
Pane E Pomodoro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I ate here for dinner on a tuesday night as I had just arrived in Civita and had no food and no knowledge of the town. The B&B I was staying in recommended Pane e Pomodoro, just down the road.
The restaurant is self is very nice, nicely furnished, snazzy bar, clean and quite modern. There was no one else in the restaurant, and only 1 couple came in for the whole of my dinner. I suppose it was because it was mid-week. The guy behind the bar was friendly enough.

I had an antipasto of cured meats and little bruschette, and that was very tasty. I then had a tortellini with meat ragu, which was very nice, did seem a bit like something I could make myself though. The contorno of brocilli was devine, I wish I could have eaten more of it but I was stuffed. The meal also comes with a big basket of bread (including focaccia).
The only let down would be the dessert. Lemon tart turned out to be a strange frozen dish that the waiter took out of the freezer and then blasted with a blow torch. It was very synthetic and I didn't enjoy it.

Apart from the dessert though everything else was good! The food was delicious with quite big portions.
I would eat there again, and I would recommend it for lunch or dinner!

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Hidden away I was pleasantly surprised by this little restaurant.the seafood gnocchi was flavoursome. An excellent salad. House wine was good.
Worth hunting out.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

We took pizza and good wine . Both were delicious. Good situation in old town but difficult to find.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We fell into here for lunch after an early morning flight and a drive that was slightly more stressful than I would have liked, and had an excellent lunch of home made pasta. The pappardelle with wild boar ragu was superb, as was the version with a rabbit ragu, and the tortellini with a truffle dressing was very good too.

Lovely bread and some white wine by the carafe (I'm assuming it was local) rounded off a very good lunch. Service was friendly and only limited by the fact that our Italian is pretty much non-existent beyond the basic pleasantries. The owner tried out his English and we managed between us.

We went back for dinner on another night, and I can certainly recommend the fillet steak with truffles!

Reviewed 9 January 2013

While Pane e Pomodoro isn't the most delicious restaurant in Civita Castellana, it is one of the only comfortable and affordable restaurants in town. I have eaten several dishes here- pasta, meat, seafood, risotto, pizza, dessert- and nothing has really disappointed me. On the other hand, nothing has really impressed me either. The atmosphere is unique for Civita in that the dining area is large enough for several large groups. The tall ceilings and simple-yet-modern furnishings create a comfortable, airy ambiance suitable for long lunch meetings or a cheap dinner out with friends. Additionally, the managers have been nothing but kind with me since I moved into town a few months ago and always make an effort to speak English with me! This definitely makes me feel more comfortable every time I go. On a negative note, there has been some "talk" around town that the kitchen of Pane e Pomodoro are using cheap ingredients from the discount supermarket. However, to me, if the food tastes good, I don't care whether the kitchen is using discounted ingredients! I often use discounted food in my own kitchen and don't see why it's so taboo. If it's available, be sure to take a plate of their pasta (made in house) with porcini mushrooms (of course, depending on the season). Yum!

1  Thank kpontar1