“Best snorkel or scuba dives”

Cabo Pulmo Marine Preserve
Book In Advance
More Info
US$110.00*
and up
Discover Scuba Diving Experience for Beginners
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Cabo Pulmo
More attraction details
Owner description: A sanctuary to the only living coral reef on the western side of the continent.
Reviewed 22 April 2014

If my review is helpful to you, please rate it as such. Many of us serious members of tripadvisor spend a lot of time writing reviews in hopes that we can assist you in having and enjoying the best vacation that you can !
The beaches around Cabo are nice and you can see some nice fish there, but if you really want to swim some good reefs then take the tour to Cabo Pulma Maine Preserve. We looked at local tours from our beach that were around the same price but chose the best. It was about the same price, It was about a 2 hour van ride but it went fast. Then we got to the resort where we were sized up for wet suits and then assigned to a boat with about 6 - 8 people in it. Great boats, great captain and great guide! you get what you pay for.
The weather was a bit rough so the sea was not as clear as it could have been, we hit about 4 different reefs, saw and swam with an incredible huge school of jack fish, swam with the sea lions and saw hump back whales. What can I say, we have dove the great barrier reef in Australia but still found this a good adventure that I highly recommend over a snorkel for the same price at a local beach and reef around Cabo ! as you can see from some of the pictures, sorry they were not more clean, stormy day upsets the water and a new Lumix underwater camera which if you travel and snorkel I would recommend. Not only good underwater but great above water as well. We saw all kinds or coral and tropical fish. I think we were out about 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
After the dive, our tour included a lunch. I had the beef taco's my wife had the fish and they were great ! the fries were great as well as was the cold coke that came with and the cold beer we bought after.
I would highly recommend this tour especially in whale season as then you get the whale tour for free! we were at the end of the season but saw lots of whales, not all boats out were as lucky as us.

25  Thank PandGP

Reviewed 28 March 2014

This is one of the last remaining unspoiled spots in coastal Mexico. The beaches are deserted and a feast for the eyes. Blue-green crystal waters combined with miles of sand and stunning desert rocks and topography are just the surface. The fish are plentiful, healthy, and unafraid. Coral seems to be thriving and growing steadily and slowly on the massive rocks and boulders in the Park. Aquarium-like snorkeling at Los Arbolitos; deeper terrain (4-15') at Los Frailes. The sea lions are wild and curious, and we heard whales singing while we were snorkeling. It was not unusual to see whales, jumping mobula rays, sea lions, hundreds of fish, turkey vultures, pelicans, and road runners all in a day. This is a magical place that is threatened by development to the north, which will threaten the health of the Park and break my heart. Go soon, leave no trace, and be thankful there are still places like this is Mexico.

6  Thank VermontLily
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We snorkeled the Cabo Pulmo Reef from Playa Arbolito, the only location that does not require a boat to access. The marine life was remarkable! We saw two sea turtles and schools of fish! The reef was not quite as colorful as I would have expected, but perhaps it was due to the time of year or the slightly higher latitude. Still, it was unforgettable. I can't wait to see other sections of the reef where you're supposed to be able to swim with sharks, see other fish, sea fans and sea cucumbers. A must-do for anyone visiting Cabo Pulmo!

2  Thank Cate B
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We were staying in Puerto Los Cabos and made a day trip to Cabo Pulmo. We had intended to snorkel off the shore, but decided on a whim to join up with Eco Adventures for a snorkeling tour by boat. What an amazing place! The water clarity was unbelievably good, and the water was the most beautiful blue. The fish were incredible - HUGE schools of fish. We also snorkeled near a sea lion colony, and then the absolute most incredible part was a mother and baby humpback whale surfacing near our boat. The water was so clear that we could see the mother whale hanging out under the boat while the baby whale swam under our boat many times, surfacing just meters away.

Now the tricky part - getting there. We drove up to Cabo Pulmo from Puerto Los Cabos. We made the mistake of taking the coastal road (Camino Cabo Este) the whole way up as it was the recommended route from Google Maps. Be warned - Camino Cabo Este is dirt. Really really really rutted dirt. After 2 1/2 hours to go 36 miles (UGH!), we arrived. We went home by heading north out of Cabo Pulmo on Camino Cabo Este to Highway 1 - only 7 miles of dirt that wasn't nearly as rutted. Although that route is a lot longer (64 miles), we covered it in 1.5 hours.

10  Thank ColoradoPeltier
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I am always reluctant when it comes to tours. Especially when there are a bunch of outfits offering similar packages. My wife wanted to go and take a whale watching tour. I did not eant to do it but I said nothing because I spent a pile of money on a fishing trip the day before.
No regrets on this one. My wife and 2 children had an amazing 3 hours that nobody will forget. My wife was right (she will love that I said that).