“Pilu has created another lifelong diver” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 11 things to do in Cabo Pulmo
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Cabo Pulmo Diving is THE dive-operation, run by Pilu and Henri, both PADI-instructors.We're diving the Cabo Pulmo Marine Park since 2007; we know every rock in the reef and all the fish by their names. We're passionate guides, very experienced instructors and hosts, that want to pamper our guests...Our goal is to make your diving days the best days of your holidays...We hope to see you soon in beautiful Cabo Pulmo!Pilu & Henri
San Francisco
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Pilu has created another lifelong diver”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

My husband and I have been diving since we were our daughter's age. Ouch. We dove two days with Pilu. On the first day she did a brief but careful overview of diving for our novice daughter and nephew. Both are great swimmers but have only done some snorkeling. Her introductory class was veryu clear and detailed without being overwhelming.

Our first dive was Mermaid, where she did basic checks on them with their skills and equipment. I was with our nephew and my daughter was with her father and Pilu was seemingly both places at once. The dive went smoothly and we all came up at the end happy and elated.

The second dive was at las casitas. This is a beautiful site. Sadly my husband was a bit sea sick before we entered for the second dive and had to abort about half way thru his tank. Feeding the fishes while on a regulator is impressive to see, but not so much fun to do. I went up with him to get him safely in the boat with Captain Carlos's help. Our nephew had declined a second dive and was already lounging above, but Pilu stayed down with our daughter and they had a wonderful time.

My daughter and I dove the next day and had a wonderful time at a site I think was called Morros. Amazing huge school of jacks and golden grouper among all the other fish on display.

We saw the mama whale and her calf while we were in the boat and enjoyed scanning the water for blows and breeches. Pilu had noted that my daughter pwore glasses and had a hard time seeing under the water at any distance, so she brought 2 pair of prescription goggles from another dive shop for her to try. One of them was a good match and really increased her enjoyment even more.

Sadlhy, Henri no longer dives because of dive induced arthritis, but Pilu was just amazing and her team of helpers were friendly and competent and spoke English, which while not usually high on my list of requirements when traveling in Latin American, is a big plus when doing something like diving where mistakes and misunderstandings can be more than an inconvenience.

Pilu introduced my daughter to diving in such a safe calm fun way that she is already looking into taking a certification course at her college. I couldn't be more pleased.

Also, the rates were very reasonable.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank sarafinadh

Spokane Valley, Washington
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“A dive experience like no other”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

Cabo Pulmo has more and bigger fish than anywhere we have ever had the pleasure to dive. This was our second trip there because we had to see if our memory of the marine park were really as good as we thought they were. We also took 4 friends who had never been there before. The schools of big eyed jacks, stripped snappers and many other varieties of fish are spectacular. Pilu is amazing as a divemaster and instructor and makes every dive unique by showing you the beauty that they have come to love and protect. We only saw one bull shark at the shipwheck and he was quite shy.

Seattle, Washington, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Family diving with mar y Sierra diving”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

We were happy, lucky, and safe diving with Thierry Lannoy on our first visit Cabo Pulmo. My husband, daughter and husband did two dives and I did one snorkel experience. It had been a long time for my husband between dives so the first dive was easy and a review. The second dive was more challenging and all had a great dive while diving between deep rocks and plenty of beautiful fish and sea life. I have knee challenges and they helped me as needed. Dive sites were explained, safety review completed, all had a great time. We hope to go back! What a special place and special people! Thanks from the Jensen/ Howell family. San Juan Islands, Washington.

2 Thank LuJacs Q
Seattle, Washington
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Dream diving”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

For our second trip to San Jose del Cabo we decided to add in a day for scuba in Cabo Pulmo. After much research in Trip Advisor and Undercurrent dive magazine, we chose Cabo Pulmo Diving. We exchanged emails with Henry and Pilu and our dives were set. Our first choice was for a Monday but they were booked. Sunday would be okay but Saturday would be better. Saturday it was. We watched the weather in San Jose and knew the strong north winds wouldn't bode well with diving. We made the decision to go ahead and make the drive for the adventure and would cancel if the water was too rough. Pilu suggested 1 1/2 to 2 hours for the drive from San Jose. It took two hours. The road to La Ribera was good with one short section being cleared from previous rains. The road from La Ribera is roughly paved for the first half, graded dirt for the second half. From San Jose it took 1 1/2 hours to the end of the paved road. Taking it very carefully in a rental car, the dirt portion took 1/2 hour.

Cabo Pulmo Diving is easy to find. They have signs posted that guide you right to them, just past the very large, very well advertised scuba resort with the very large prices. Pulling up we were met by Pilu who asked if we received her last email (didn't check). She had emailed us to inform us that it would be best to cancel. Their Friday dives had to cancel due to the wind and water conditions and the Saturday forecast was for the same conditions. I knew right then we had chosen the right dive operation. The wind on Saturday was actually not as bad as the forecast and she offered to check with her boat captain to see if diving was a possibility. We were good with either possibility. After some checking the dives were on.

Diving is by panga, loaded on the beach and launched on a cart into the water. The national park has worked with the boat captains to eliminate beaching the boats, saving the captains constant boat repair and saving the ground fiberglass from entering the marine environment. The guides register for dive sites, allowing no more than two boats on any site at the same time. The result? You aren't diving with a massive hoard of divers.

Our first dive was at El Bajo. Pilu said it was one of the top sites in the park. When we arrived there was one boat and that captain said there was strong current. We dropped in via backroll and had the reef to the three of us. Being Pacific Northwest divers the prospect of current was not a problem. What we got was a nice mild drift along a beautiful reef that was one of the most relaxing tropical dives I've done. El Bajo was amazing. We have dived Loreto and La Paz and thought we knew Sea of Cortez diving. Not! It was the best Baja dive we have done. I would match it to any of our Kona dives, and it probably tops them. The only place we have dived that exceeds it would be Fiji. The marine life was great-schools of large grouper, very active morays, 2 or 3 turtles, a school of pompano overhead, and cloulds of reef fish, large and small. The coral is not as extensive as Hawaii, but that is more than made up for by the sea fans in many colors. Visibility was easily 60'+. After a relaxing 45 minutes it was time for a safety stop and back to the boat.

During our safety stop we talked about the dives I read about doing my research. I thought they had dives where they visited bull sharks. Pilu said they hadn't seen the sharks for a couple of months and before they had left, their behavior had changed, becoming a bit bold. They had referred it to some shark experts to investigate, but when the sharks disappeared, the experts weren't able to follow up.

Our second dive would be El Barco, the shipwreck. It is pretty broken down, but is rich in life. Another backroll and the dive started. After dropping in I spotted a large shark and knew this was going to be a great dive. Dropping to 30' I realized this was a bull shark, at least 10 foot, if not more. Then a second one and in less than a minute, we were up to five, with unidentified shadows on the edge of visibility (vis was closer to 25 to 30 on this dive). The sharks were starting to pick up speed as they moved in, then leave slowly. It became apparent that 3 divers weren't a good match for multiple fast moving bull sharks-who last time they were seen were starting to get bold. After 3 minutes Pilu called the dive, called in the boat, and in a flash we were back aboard. It would be easy to wonder why the dive was cut short...if you weren't there. If you would have been there and had seen the behavior, you would have happily levitated back to the boat.

If you are looking for a dive operation that will run dives, no matter the conditions, with no regard to your safety or theirs, you probably won't like Cabo Pulmo Diving. If you value a quality dive experience with a guide that values your safety and wants you to enjoy your dive, Pilu is an very easy choice. We purposely chose to dive one day only so we could see the diving and decide if it was worth bringing all our gear for a multiple day trip. Cabo Pulmo has the best Sea of Cortez diving we have seen. Cabo Pulmo Diving isn't a large resort with every amenity (including large prices), but they are the kind of dive operation we love diving with. Thank you Pilu, we will be back!

2 Thank TravlinDiver
Denver
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Diving in Cabo Pulmo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Cabo Pulmo is a small village off the grid where the locals have managed to recover the fish population that
had been lost due to overfishing. It is a perfect example of eco-recovery that should serve as inspiration to many
other communities around the world. Unfortunately, there is a risk that this recovery and the natural beauty of Cabo Pulmo
will be lost if the Spanish company HANSA gets its way. They plan to build a large resort which will have a detrimental
effect on the environment. It will be yet another eco-system destroyed by the greed of international corporations.

Diving in Cabo Pulmo is a unique experience. I have never heard of any other place where one encounters such large schools of
fish moving around like tornados. One can actually hear the tornados under water. In addition to the many different types
of small fish, one can also find bull, white and whale sharks.

We decided to dive with Cabo Pulmo Diving operated by Henri and Pilu. They did a wonderful job organizing the lodging and
diving. Pilu was the dive leader and her enthusiasm under water was contagious. It is also important to note that they
organized the diving and lodging in cooperation with the Castro family, who are the people who made the recovery of
Cabo Pulmo possible. This means that the diving and lodging is done in an ecologically responsible way.

Cabo Pulmo can get very hot and even thought nights are much cooler, it may be difficult for some
people to sleep only with a fan. October is one of the best times to go.

Visited October 2013