“Lucky Table”

Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We tried to get booked into Ben Cornish Kitchen, but it was fully booked for days in advance. Went on the web site and they had a table booking option. Looks like there was a cancellation, because we got in on Saturday night. We were not disappointed.
What a lovely place, with a nice warm atmosphere, friendly attentive staff and great food. I think we could have chosen anything on the menu and it would have been cooked well, beautifully presented and tasted great.
As part of our holiday we try to have a couple of meals out during our stay and this place was memorable and well worth going out of our way to get to.
But you need to get it booked in advance, you can't just turn up in the evening.
A lovely evening.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,001)

Reviewed 7 August 2014

In his August 2 review of Ben's Cornish Kitchen in the Guardian, he says he didn't want to risk spoiling a great meal with the "Sweet Curry Plate" dessert. He missed out big time. At my wife's birthday party there on July 25 this year one of our party chose it and we all agreed it was spectacular.

BTW, I agree with everything else Jay said. It's a great restaurant; not cheap, but certainly some of the best and most innovative food I have tasted.

One thing however; I live in the US where dress code is only an issue in the fanciest eating places. We dressed up for dinner only to find we were sharing the room with a few guests in shorts/jeans/T-shirts. Mind you, if I owned the restaurant, I'd find it hard to refuse to serve anyone. So what can you do?

1  Thank M N
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We booked based on reviews and it did not disappoint. Staff were extremely accommodating of us with our 10 month old baby. Its nice to still be able to have great meals out and not settle for a chain just because we have a baby! Food was excellent quality and well presented. The lunch menu was great value, so we had all three courses. Just two or three choices but that's all you need if you are not a fusspot. And if you are, then just head to a maccy d's.

1  Thank pigsyandtrud
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Having eaten here before, we visited with friends as a special occasion.
The food we had was superb but the menu was limited in its meat dishes of lamb or chicken .... no steak available, which was disappointing as it was so beautifully cooked last time. It seemed more fish orientated this time, even on the starters.
We had the lamb which was delicious.
Service was efficient and friendly.

BenPrior, Owner at Ben's Cornish Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Hi Raptormad

So glad you enjoyed your evening with us but sorry you felt the selection was not right for you. I just wanted to let you know that next time your about you can pre order a steak on booking 24hr notice. Finding quality beef this time of year is a problem with the demand so high and the huge prices.

I try to please everyone as much as possible so anything I can do just call next time please.

Kind regards Ben

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely food and excellent service. We are a norwegian family from the age of 5 to 47. The little one is very picky but said: I love this meat :-). And so did we all. We will come back next time we are in the area.

1  Thank Trine G