“A Hidden Gem - Quite Right”

Mount Haven Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Marazion
London, United Kingdom
“A Hidden Gem - Quite Right”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I first stayed at this hotel 20 odd years ago. It was good then, now it is a diamond.
Just back from a 10 day stay and all the staff from the Owners down were superb and were genuinely concerned when my wife had a slight wobble with her diabetes.
The food was excellent but with the daily specials and catch of the day, dishes I had earmarked to try never got a look in.Ah well maybe next time.
The Garden room we had meant we could come and go as we pleased without using the stairs, very good for people with mobility problems.
If, the hotel could control the weather it would have been perfect.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
london
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Driving back to looe recently, we were looking for a restaurant which could accommodate a wheelchair user and the rest of the family when we saw the sign for the mount haven hotel and took a chance. What a great decision! The staff were most obliging - we has the choice of sitting at a table in the lounge or out on the balcony. We chose the latter as the weather has been so good and what a view! Looking straight over to st Michaels mount - it was superb. Ad the food was great as well. Fresh, local fish/ fresh baked bread - it was a lovely meal. Yes, the service was a little slow but the staff apologised for this saying that they hadn't seen the bar so busy all season. We didn't mind - the view was terrific, food great - why rush?
Do try this restaurant - the staff are lovely and well mannered, the food great and the view to die for!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sooz16
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I picked this hotel from tripadvisor reviews for somewhere to take my elderly parents, needed somewhere with a decent view as my dad isn't too mobile and wouldn't leave the hotel much. We took one of the deluxe rooms with a balcony, the view is probably as good as you can get, looking out at sea towards St Michael's Mount. The room was large, nicely decorated with decent artwork and hotel has a Hindu/Buddhist theme. Food from the restaurant was fantastic, we did think about going out to try other nearby places for dinner but didn't bother as it was so good there. Best thing about the place were the staff, the owners, Mike & Orange, and their staff looked after us very well, helping where they could with my parents and also very knowledgeable about the area and what there is to do. We stayed there for 3 nights, first time in Cornwall, definitely going back and will be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

Just had an interesting experience with this hotel when my wife and I tried to phone them at around 6.45pm today (27.8.13) to discuss a potential booking. We were advised that no one could speak to us until 9.00pm, as everyone was helping with serving dinner. Needless to say that we will not be bothering them again, no matter how fantastic the panorama may be or the level of praise from the travel writers in the national press. We have stayed at hotels all over the world and this is a first for us. It all looks fantastic on the web site but this hotel fell at the first hurdle...

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tim P
Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We visited for a special family Birthday, and will def be going back.

Six of us went - family and friends. We all had something different (starters, mains and sweet) we all had fantastic meals and none of us could fault 1 thing! Seafood, fish and meat alike were all excellent. Lots of local fresh produce. Service was fast friendly and efficient - they were very busy and full on the night.

We had a lot of drinks and the bill came to approx £50pp which was excellent value for the quality of the food, portions and service.

You can sit outside if it's nice with a direct view of the Mount - we can see it every day but was lovely to see closer and from a slightly different direction. There's a nice comfortable lounge inside with a big window - views of sea and Mount. The main restaurant is downstairs where the views are more restricted by the lovely gardens and shrubs.

Def rec you give it a try, you won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We stayed in Mount Haven for 3 nights on our short break to Cornwall. From the offset the staff and managers were very helpful in making the booking and explaining that they were busy and the only room left was rather small however it had sea views so we booked it anyway. On arrival the room was indeed very small but I didn't mind as we knew what to expect (they did manage my expectations well). The size of the room however was not an issue when we saw the views of St Michaels Mount and the lovely small baclony which we could relax on in between beach excursions. If you get a chance to book a larger room I would certainly recommend it however a room with views is an ABSOLUTE MUST.

The amenities were ok with nice toileteries however there was no complimentary water which is a huge minus in my mind. The restaurant and bar is nice however after eating at many other restaurants in the area I did feel they could have tried a bit harder with a more exciting dinner menu. The lunch however was very nice and sipping a glass of wine with the meal sitting on the terrace with views of (again) St Michael Mount was priceless.

Breakfast was rather boring so if you are staying longer you might want to try other brunch places in the area some days.

All in all the stay was really pleasant but it is not a super luxurious hotel. The rooms are slightly over priced - you pay for the view! For us the importance were promiximity to nice beaches, nice walks and scenery and this hotel is the best in an area which offers all of this. Friendly and helpful staff (especially two ladies whose names I fail to remember who booked tennis courts for us and gave us cushions and pillows for Minack theatre), I would definitely stay again if I was back in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank L82London
Horsham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I'm afraid I have struggled to give this Hotel 3 stars. Should really be 2 based on our experience but the location and the view nudges the rating up and in fairness our room (we were in Room 9) was clean, well decorated and with a big comfy bed. BUT...

For the price we paid the service was severely lacking. On arrival there was nobody to greet us (having nobody on reception turned out to be a common occurence) on pressing the buzzer the bar man turned up and promptly said "bear with me I don't know what I'm doing, I've not done this before" = not the best start.

I had scambled eggs on our first morning and it should have been called very sloppy eggs. And then the breakfasts during the rest of our stay were fine but inconsistent (different sausages on day 3, missing meat roll on day 2 etc etc. different chef each morning I'm guessing) The waitress also insited on a comical time wasting routine of Tea & Coffee being served and then Toast being served afterwards, serving this at the sametime would save her half an hour on a busy morning and give everyone better, more prompt service.

Now considering we didn't spend that much time there, as we were out and about, I am prepared to say that our last evening could have bumped them toward 4 stars but what happened was so poor it was comical, a Fawlty Towers like performance from the barman. I'll come on to that but firstly dinner. Considering the Chef is supposed to be a MasterChef semi-finalist it was an underwhelming dinner. The starter needed more sauce, the Chicken main was dry and needed some sauce full stop and the garnish was straight out of a greasy spoon Cafe with a clump of withering lettuce leaves on the side. The beef was could but small and the dauphonise were undercooked and the portion very small.

Now on to Manuel... post dinner we had a couple more drinks and then I opted to finish with an Irish Coffee. On asking for this the barman said "would you mind if you wait a little while for that", which was no problem as I assumed he just needed some time to make the coffee but it transpired that he wanted to go for a fag, not only that but he announced as much when he presented the coffee some 15 minutes later "yeah, sorry, I just needed to get my cigarette fix". I was waiting for Basil to make an appearance.

And finally on check out the lady, who I can only assume was the owner, thought we had been there for 1 night until she printed my bill, not very attentive and it capped off a poor service experience. All in all not the best which was a real shame given the good reviews and given the fact that we were there on a mini honeymoon - I'm afraid I'd look elswehere in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Richard G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marazion
Marazion Hotel
Driftwood Hotel
Driftwood Hotel
#1 of 2 in Rosevine
Tregenna Castle Resort

Been to Mount Haven Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!