“Room for improvement but...”
Review of Godolphin Arms

and 1 more site!
Godolphin Arms
Ranked #2 of 8 Marazion B&B and Inns
Selborne, United Kingdom
“Room for improvement but...”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We took a long weekend at the Godolphin Arms. The venue had been recently refurbished to a high standard with wonderful views over the sea and St Michaels Mount. The rooms are clean, quiet and comfortable we had room ten which we think was the best for space and light.

The staff are chatty and extraordinarily likable as are the management nothing was too much trouble. The venue has some teething troubles with new staff especially in the restaurant but with their hearts in the right place it is easy to forgive. I believe that these issues will be resolved in the near future, if not they pressure of summer volumes will tell. The food is excellent.

The rooms are pricey and my one real recommendation would be to reduce it by about 15%.

I look forward to returning at the end of the season.

Robin

Room Tip: Look first choose second.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robedh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

A trip to the Scillies prompted a one night stop over , Resting at the waters edge overlooking St Michaels mount this hotel has a position to die for , room was very nice having been freshly decorated with flat screen tv , view of the beach , tea and coffee , all the mod cons.
My problem is that the hotel itself was very run down and dirty , a perpetual smell of something rotting was present in all the lower floor hallways, which the hotel operators had tried to mask with the addition of air fresheners in the rooms.
The bar restaurant was spacious but very grubby with stained seats and carpets , it somewhat put me off eating there, the food selection was limited and the menu read beautifully, its a pitty the food was not actually that good.
Don't get me wrong but at £185 per night you should get a decent experience and this hotel did not deliver. there was much talk of the hotel being refurbished with posters showing what the hotel will be like once completed, I hope this hotel improves once refurbished.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank STEVE M
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Thank you so much to ALL the staff for making our stay at the Godolphin one to remember. We stayed in room 10, which was amazing, fantastic views, we loved sitting in the bay window with a glass of wine just watching the little boats ferrying the visitors to the mount and back. I had a tear each morning at breakfast watching the little ones getting off the boats for the journey to school. The Godolphin is situated in such a fantastic spot, virtually on the entrance to the causeway, just beautiful. Good luck with the up-grade of the lounge and bar areas. Hope you replace all the windows with PVC (including the bedrooms). Looking forward to our return. Have recommended to our friends.
Thanks again, Bob & Lo, Wales.

Room Tip: Room 10 had an amazing walk-in shower, a large bed, a large bay window, overlooking the gardens, and...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank loretta102
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Me and my partner stayed at the Godolphin hotel for one night. On arrival we were impressed at the service that was provided by the man at reception. We were shown where the carpark was and he helped carry our bags to our room. The room was a very nice size and very clean! Bathroom was big also!
The carvery we had for dinner that evening was yummy and the staff were very helpful, staff member had noticed the Yorkshire puddings had ran out so brought a plate of some other for us! :)
Breakfast was lovely in the morning too! Staff were all very friendly and polite, we really had a fantastic stay and didn't want to leave. A lot of the staff wished my partner a happy birthday which was nice of them.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to stay.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Kirsty002
Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

One of the nicest hotel rooms I've stayed in, very clean with thoughtful touches such as iPod dock and leaflet pack for holidaymakers. Staff very friendly and helpful and cooked breakfast very nice with beautiful views. Only downside for me was no covers over the fruit or pastries at breakfast as there were a few wasps lurking around there. Previous reviews have complained about the smell but that is just the smell of marazion :) would recommend to anybody.

• Stayed August 2013
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We had a party of two rooms, rooms 10 and 1. I was in room 1 with my two children (on z-beds), my sister and her husband in room 10. Both rooms very nice and pleasant, fantastic views and lovely and clean. They even provided the children with fishing nets and buckets.
Unfortunately the journey to room 1 was not a pleasant experience at all, the smell of old wet dog that had come off the beach and ingrained it's self into the hall carpet (that looked as if it had been laid 20 years earlier).
We all ran to our room holding our noses, the smell was so bad it even made the children gag..and they're not normally fussy.
Sadly, and this is not the hotels fault, the local water company emptied the sewage into the sea right next to the hotel about three times a day, leaving a very smelly scum floating on the sea. I did not let the children in the sea!
The positives are that the staff are wonderful, the views are breath taking and the rooms are very pleasant.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tina W
angelacollyns, Guest Relations Manager at Godolphin Arms, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
I would like to apologise that your stay was ruined with us by unpleasant smells. The staircase leading down to rooms 1, unfortunately, also takes all the traffic in and out of our kitchen serving the outside terrace. Believe it or not, the carpet was replaced in July and is due to be replaced again this Saturday as we cannot keep it to the standard necessary. This problem will be addressed by our refurbishment in November when the access to room 1 will be remodelled. I suspect the smell was of seaweed which when the tide does not take it back out lies on the beach and stagnates. This smell is a constant problem and is the downside to our fantastic position on the beach. I note your comments regarding the wonderful staff, rooms and views and hope you will return.
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I have just spent a night at this hotel and feel very strongly that it is overpriced for what they offer. On arriving I could not find the car park (having received no directions) so had to park on double yellow lines outside so I could go in and ask. I rang the bell at reception five times before someone appeared. I can't complain about their service at this point as they were very pleasant and helpful. I was then shown to my room which was on the ground floor. I have to say that the access to the room was appalling - the carpets were filthy and there was an overall smell of something not nice. I felt like I was going into the bowels of somewhere quite unpleasant, it was all very shoddy and uncared for and if I owned the hotel I would have been embarrassed to show guests who are expected to spend £170 for the room through an area this dilapidated.

The room itself was quite pleasant, a good size and with lovely views of St Michaels Mount, but nothing out of the ordinary. I have stayed in other hotels that are equally good if not better and charged a lot less.

Come the morning I was woken at 7am by what can only be described as the sound of a herd of elephants moving around above me. It was obviously the staff preparing for breakfast - but my gosh they must have been wearing hob-nailed boots. A little more consideration wouldn't have gone amiss.

St Aubyn Estates should look very closely at this as I shall not return there!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
angelacollyns, Guest Relations Manager at Godolphin Arms, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
I am really sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. We understand your comments regarding the access to the room and the noise levels. However we are due to close for a major refurbishment in November which will resolve these problems. The room you stayed in is our most popular room and most people describe it as spectacular. I am sorry it did not meet your expectations and again we will look at making chances to upgrading the room when we shut in November. I would like to apologies again and I would like to think you will pay us another visit after our refurbishment.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marazion
Mount Haven Hotel & Restaurant
Carbis Bay Hotel & Estate
Tregenna Castle Resort
Tregenna Castle Resort
#10 of 21 in St Ives

Been to Godolphin Arms? Share your experiences!