“Charming independent hotel”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Trowbridge
Elstree, Hertfordshire
“Charming independent hotel”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

A few minutes walk from all the towns amenities, with parking and friendly staff. I enjoyed the authentic charm of this hotel. The room was clean and comfortable. Nothing was too much trouble, Breakfast was a good spread with a choice of freshly cooked options.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Surriya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I stay at Hilton chain hotels every week for work and as there were none close to Trowbridge I thought I would give this a try (based on TripAdvisor feedback!). I stayed 3 nights one week then 4 nights a few weeks later. I have to say it has completely changed my opinion on independent smaller hotels - in a positive way. Breakfast was great and freshly cooked, as opposed to a mass produced buffet. I had a good room which was recently decorated, had a large shower and comfy bed. The staff go out of their way to help you whatever the request is. They didn't serve food every night, which for a business traveler is often an inconvenience as after a hard day working the last thing you want to do is venture out, but that said, there are plenty of decent restaurants that offer takeaway close by. I went to the greek tavern across the road and the hotel provided me with plates and cutlery etc so really wasn't a problem. I also got a pass to a local gym/boxing club for £4 from the hotel owner which was fantastic. The car parking is a bit tight but I managed to find space each day without any hassle. All in all, a great wee hotel and I will certainly be returning next year when working in the area.

Room Tip: Pay the extra £10 or £20 to get the newly renovated rooms if they are available - room 15 was excell...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Scottb83
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

This was my first stay here although my colleagues stay here often. Onsite parking, though free, is extremely limited and a tight fit. On booking in I was informed there was no restaurant food that night. I was hoping for a quiet night in after a very busy day, but had to venture out. Not happy. My room whilst ok wasn't great. It felt a bit damp. The bathroom was small and cold too.
The positives were a very fast free wifi connection. Speedtest reported a connection exceeding 10mbits. Breakfast in the morning was good and I was allowed to leave my car in their car park for the day even though I was checking out.
The owner did apologies for the lack of food the night before, but given a choice I won't be staying there again. Sorry.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed here for the second time, the owners were fantastic and accomadating, and willing to allow our slightly noisy behaviour, though we were not noisy during the night. My room was clean, fresh with a lovely size bathroom for a single. We will return next year . The prices are reasonable and the breakfast was scrummy.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed for 4 nights and would definitely return. All staff were very approachable and helpful. The food was great, as was the atmosphere. Location very central. Room was spacious, clean and comfortable. A lovely visit!

• Stayed October 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The Polebarn Hotel seems an enigmatic one; is it a hotel, or is it a B&B? Despite its glorious external appearance I would like to make a few points as to why I was not entirely satisfied of my night there.

Friendly staff, yet greets you behind a piece of furniture that defines boundaries between the public space and the hosts' personal space. Where is the reception? This is not a proper reception area.

Upon getting the key, I go up to my room (#10) at the top of the building, and stumble upon a foldable bed, as well as a bench desguised to resemble a sofa for it has a blanket dressed over it, and all that in a tiny corner where nobody will ever want to sit down and relax.

The room: it smelled fresh, the decoration was done recently, however, the finish needs attention. The wallpaper is already coming off the corners and there is discolouration on the front wall. The cabling behind the TV is a mess (that can be sorted out so easily). There is a vase with some artificial flowers on the floor in a coner; why not properly display it by placing it on a little table? But once again all those little attentions really count.

The bathroom: recently refurbished and clean, it seemed very pleasant, and I can understand the need for a sani-flow toilet, but it really makes the whole floor vibrate a lot. The shower cabin had no steel basket or area to place toiletries, and the plug hole was, well, not draining so I showered and had a foot bath in dirty water at the same time. Besides, in such a small bathroom you sort of struggle to get passed between the door and the sink in order to access the shower, and I am not very big myself.

I cannot comment on the breakfast, I did not want to stay long in the morning.

In conclusion, I would say the building is really lovely and everything has the potential. I would have been great to focus on the finish of the decorating of the rooms, and I do not know if budget ran dry or unforeseen circumstanced occurred, but it did not look quite as good as the photos on their website suggested. I would not stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank NicF_13
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My Boyfriend and i recently stayed in the Polebarn Hotel for a weekend get away. From the moment we stepped in the front door i knew that we had picked the right hotel to stay in. Natasha (the hostess) was very helpful, friendly and welcoming. Nothing appeared to much effort for the staff and we were made to feel like their number one priority. We stayed on the top floor (Room 15). The room was clean, nicely decorated, spacious and light. The bed was very comfortable and a good length for anyone who is tall (6ft plus). Although the hotel was not serving dinner at the weekend Natasha was very helpful in providing a map and reccommending local restaurants and pubs (we reccommend the Kings Arms pub- great food good value). Breakfast in the morning was served in the hotel restaurant, located in the cellar. Again this part of the hotel has been beautifully restored and offered a great location for breakfast. The Breakfast itself was very tasty and fresh, and there was a great selection of breakfast choices on offer. We will definately be staying again when in the area.

Room Tip: Room 15 is very comfortable. Just need to be careful if you are taller as the room door is shorter t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trowbridge
Fieldways Hotel & Health Club
#5 of 7 in Bradford-on-Avon
Travelodge Warminster
Travelodge Warminster
#2 of 3 in Warminster

Been to The Polebarn? Share your experiences!