“A rare score indeed!”
Review of The Poplars

The Poplars
Ranked #2 of 102 Restaurants in Trowbridge
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Poplars is a family run country pub & restaurant, offering delicious home cooked food, a friendly atmosphere & great service. Situated in the lovely Wiltshire village of Wingfield between Trowbridge & Bath, whether you wish to enjoy a quiet drink in the bar or dine in one of 2 restaurants, you're always welcome.
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The last time I recall being at this pub was on May 4th 1990 which was the night before my wedding and only for a drink as my then best man lived literally around the corner. My wife seems to think we've eaten here since but I don't remember.

We were at one of our loose ends last night, wanting to go out and eat but not really decided on where. At times like this I resort to Tripadvisor, did a search for local places to us and The Poplars came up.

I have friends who eat here often and it is well known locally for good food but, as I've discovered in the past, that doesn't mean it meets our bill!

We went over - didn't book - around 7 and the restaurant was quiet - us only in fact. The welcome was warm and inviting. We were given the menus and told that we could sit anywhere but to be aware that there were a couple of reserved tables.

The menu was very good and there was plenty to choose from. I could eat there several times and have something different!

Drinks in hand and order placed we sat in a relaxed environment which did fill up both in the bar and restaurant. For a Wednesday this was a good sign!

I had baked avocado with cheese and tomato for starters and Anna had Pate. Anna had Liver and Bacon for main I had Venison Steak. All was very good - fair to say not exceptional but then that is asking much of me BUT please don't take this as criticism because it certainly isn't!
They obviously have a good chef who produces very good fare.

Mains done we were asked if we would like to see the dessert menu which we did and again lots to choose from. Desserts ordered we asked if we could have some time before they arrived which was done. A bit of me thought "Ah right! Busy restaurant they'll forget the desserts!" But they didn't! About 15 mins or so later they arrived - perfect timing.

Not the cheapest place to eat but good value for what you get and I certainly didn't disapprove of the bill!

All in all a very nice, welcoming pub with a well deserved reputation and one we will certainly be visiting again........frequently!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Had a lovely meal here on Valentines Day - we were accommodated at very late notice and although the time was getting on there was no compromise with the food - it was fantastic! Thank you, we will visit again for sure.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Another warm summer Sunday evening visit, not only superb food and great wines, but outstanding floral displays, why go anywhere else for the traditional English pub experience.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

With so many pub/restaurants in the Trowbridge area it is hard to choose a best place. But the Poplars scores highly on atmosphere, quality of food, choice and service. It is always on our list of places for a classic pub lunch when we are in the area. The standard menu is supplemented with a great selection on the specials board. And scores highly in my husband's eyes as a pub that also stocks 6X.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

The food (Sunday lunch) was very well cooked and ample portions. The menu was good, catering for a wide range of palates. The beer selection very good.