“Very Rude and aggressive landlady, poor quality beer”
Review of Lion and Fiddle

Lion and Fiddle
Ranked #5 of 15 Trowbridge B&B and Inns
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
“Very Rude and aggressive landlady, poor quality beer”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I have been going to this pub on and off for thirty years, I went there this week with my wife, to be met by one of the most rude landladies I have ever met.
My beer was clearly off, it was cloudy with bits in it and it tasted off. I questioned the bar girl saying was the barrel about to be changed or had it just been changed as this was off, she agreed it looked bad and with that the landlady shouted from the other side of the pub, saying there was nothing wrong with it, she did not even come to look or offer any other constructive comments, she actually swore and said tough. We were going to eat there but decided to leave as she kept looking at us threateningly and making comments to her other half about us. we had paid for the drinks but could not drink them so left them on the table.
Do not go here, very very disapointed.

Room Tip: do not go here
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank John D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I can't comment for the hotel, however I went in here for a drink and some food with my partner and I've never had such rude service in all my life from what I worked out was the landlady who should be setting a good example. She defiantly was NOT. Rude to us at the bar with an awful and not keen to help and answer any questions we had regarding the menu. Service was very slow and food was incredibly below average for the price. Was never asked 'if everything was ok' and was made to feel like we should leave so she could get on whatever the heck else she had to do.

'Ice and a slice' - NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed July 2014
6 Thank Simon H

Travellers are raving about these Trowbridge hotels

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Have been coming here for a few months now and have got to know the staff that work here... Some of which have left such as the old bar manager and Joe, however on a Sunday, Alanah is always friendly and is always happy to have a chat to us :)

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Nathant93
trowbridge
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

I've used this pub for years and the staff have always been good. On this visit the owner was working the bar and it was an absolute disgrace. His attitude was appalling and like another reviewer I heard him say that the customers could go elsewhere if they didn't like the service. Only having one member of staff working whilst putting signage outside to "watch the England game here" was unthinkable. The delays in service were terrible, having to stack drinks is not good. I went to the bar and asked for two pints and he asked me did I have any glasses, I said no and he said " no drinks then" no apology or give me a second to get some and then he went to serve someone else. We'll not be going back as good manners as free and it's the least I expect as a customer.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Finlays_folks
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I went here this evening with my partner and a few friends to watch the England football game. We arrive around 6pm and couldn't order food till 6.30pm, after waiting 50 minuets for a toasted sandwich and some chips, the longest wait I've ever expirenced for a sandwich, which to say the least wasn't fantastic. During the match I tried to get a drink at the bar, 15 minuets later....to which the owner told another member of staff "no let them wait". I have never been to a pub or restaurant that have been so poorly managed and to tell their customers if they have a problem with waiting to go somewhere else! Disgusted by the service and quality given. I wouldn't recommend a visit! The dead fly stuck to the window just summed it up!

• Stayed June 2014
6 Thank Katie_linter
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Six friends met at the Lion and Fiddle for lunch on a Sunday - we did not stay at the hotel. However the roast dinner provided was excellent as was the service, With two choices of meat and around seven nicely presented and well cooked vegetables this was a great start. Our server even offered extra gravy which was again delicious. A couple of Yorkshire puddings on hot plates completed the meal - superb !! We finished with Harry's local ice cream and coffee. At around £14 per head this was great value. A gem.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank SussexBoy24
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

After reading some of the other reviews I wasn't expecting too much but I was on a budget and this place was very well priced compared to all others in the area.
I stayed here for 3 weeks whilst on a course in the nearby town and I am pleased to say that I had a really enjoyable stay. Henry the manager is a charming, comical gent and a real character and his staff are lovely. They all made me feel very much at home. Even though I was on a boring training course it felt like a holiday. Anyway, the good points are,; the food, breakfast is made to order so you get what you want and how you want it. The food in the restaurant is excellent, very tasty and lots of choices that are very reasonably priced. I will miss the bed as I slept every night like a baby. The locals who frequented the pub were great and very welcoming. The place is just what you might expect for a friendly country pub. I would say that everything considered it was great value. I would recommend this place but if you are expecting the Waldorf Astoria then do yourself a favour and book the Waldorf Astoria

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trowbridge
Widbrook Grange
#2 of 15 in Trowbridge
The Tollgate Inn
The Tollgate Inn
#1 of 3 in Holt

Been to Lion and Fiddle? Share your experiences!