“not so good”
Review of The Moonraker

The Moonraker
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Trowbridge
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel two week ends ago on a Travel Zoo tasting menu with overnight stay.
We were given a room off the court yard, large enough with a queen sized bed and sofa, but no dressing table, I had to dry my hair sat on the edge of the bed using the wardrobe mirror. The extractor fan in the bathroom did not work and there was evidence of stains down the walls from the condensation,
The five course tasting menu was poor, the soup was salty and just warm, the next two courses both salad one with nuts and beetroot and the other with goats cheese and salmon, I know it was a tasking menu but they were the smallest portions I have ever seen followed by two small bits of pork and puréed peas. Dessert was thankfully a full portion of sticky toffee pudding, should have been served with clotted cream but they had ran out!
Breakfast followed the same theme a very small choice of cereal, yogurt, dried fruit, juice and toast, the bread was home made but not properly proved or cooked it smelled of raw yeast. There was then a small range of cooked items to choice from, full English ( 1 sausage, 1 small rasher of bacon 1 egg, tiny piece of black pudding and beans in a small dish on the plate, thought I was in the harvester except for the portion being so small, the bean were tasteless, The second morning I tried the scramble egg and salmon, again the smallest of portions, the salmon apparently smoked on site was running in water.
The restaurant itself is a lovely old room with old beams ( although fake ) etc, and they have just fitted laminate flooring, it stood out like a sore thumb, just about summed it up us for be to be honest trying to be something they are not and don't know how to be. The floor in the morning had the evening before food dropping still on it, sorry we will not be returning

6  Thank morie728
OwnerOldManor, Owner at The Moonraker, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Whenever we get I get a bad review (which was in November last year) I always take a little time to think about my response as it is easy to get upset and write some rant which although makes a good read does not really achieve anything other than me feeling a whole lot better!.

If I am thinking of staying in a hotel then I will always check this website, you just do don’t you. If I see a poor review I think to myself, ‘do lots of people feel this way or is this one off?’
If I see there is a common theme of upset guests then I might choose another hotel, otherwise I would not let one person’s views decide whether I stay somewhere or not.

Price would also be important to me. We did a very special offer back in December that was £99 for 5 course menu, overnight stay and breakfast for two. This guest stayed on this offer.

Our tasting menu has been a huge success with over 1000 meals served since we launched it in December last year. At the same time we upgraded the breakfast offer adding homemade muesli, natural yogurt with homemade berry compote, homemade marmalade, bacon smoked in our smokery, sausage sourced from a local butcher in bath, Salmon also home smoked!

Do we offer a cooked breakfast the size of saucepan- no, using the ingredients we use we would need to put our prices up by about 200%. However we do offer all of the above mentioned which I think is quite a lot, and I have a big appetite!

I could go line by line though this review but I am not going to, there are so many inaccuracies that I feel it would come across to you that we think we are perfect with no faults at all, this would not be true.

What I can say is that we are very a passionate bunch of people working here and take immense pride in looking after our guests. Rather than writing hurtful reviews on this site (and believe me it’s not just me who feels this) why not just talk to us when you are staying here, we will defiantly listen and more often than not turn things around and make your stay a good one.

Some of my biggest complaints in the last 19 years of working in hotels have become my best customers just by talking things through, I wish more people would take this route it feels so much better.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Throughout our two day stay at the Old Manor Hotel the staff were all very welcoming and friendly. We were even offered a choice of two rooms. The room we chose was in the old main building facing south being exceedingly clean with a lovely comfortable bed and even a dressing room.
The hotel location was on the main road between Bradford on Avon and Trowbridge and we had a choice of visiting Bath by car a 20 minutes drive or parking at the Trowbridge station and a 20 minute train journey. The train journey we would recommend as the train stops in the main centre of Bath.

The food is as described by other reviews and in particular the breakfasts all being freshly cooked.

We would recommend the Hotel and would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Room facing South
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2014

This hotel was booked as a Travel Zoo deal one night B7B + five course taster menu for evening dinner. On arrival we were asked if we wanted to upgrade from the standard room for £10. We thought this would be ok and the room in an outside annex was large with a king size bed a lounging area with two chairs and a bathroom with a bath and a wet room. There was plenty of storage space and everything was clean and tidy. The tea and coffle facilities were free but the added snacks in the room were not. We did not partake as they were overpriced.

The taster menu was served by Klaudia who was charming and helpful, telling us what we were eating and even asking the chef when we inquired into the cuts of meat for the main course. We thought the service was impeccable.

It was a shame that one of the other servers was dressed in jeans, so out of keeping!!

We still find it obscene that in this day and age hotels charge £20 for a bottle of wine. We all know what it costs these days and that we are being ripped off.

The breakfast service was also excellent but the cooked full English was not to the same standard as the dinner. The tiny bit of bacon was tasty but there should have been more of it.

Some of the food was smoked using their own smoker but they missed a trick by not offering any for sale to take home.

All in all a very pleasant relaxing stay.

Room Tip: Check out you room first if possible as you may want to upgrade.
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Stayed as part of a two night living social deal my wife had bought as a gift. Lovely oldy worldy four poster bed room. Excellent breakfast and a very helpful manager / owner who steered us in the right direction for our sight seeing and dining plans.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Several of us booked for the tasting menu which was excellent and we'll thought out. So it was a meal only, not a hotel review. The hotel is well worth a visit just for a meal. The only downside when we went was a decidedly obvious lack of staff with one exceedingly efficient young lady running the bar and serving at table. Presumably this was the exception. The comfy ambiance with arm chairs and oldie worldie furniture provides a very relaxed atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2014

My husband and I spent a night at the Old Manor with a tasting menu. The whole experience was superb from start to finish. The wecoming staff and service were exemplary and the candlelit Dining Room in the evening is a delight. The meal was delicious, varied and full of unusual but attractive flavours. Breakfast in the morning was again of a high standard with plenty of choice The room was spacious and warm and the bed was very comforatable. We'll definitely go there again and would thoroughly recommend the hotel.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night , and the whole experience was superb . We discovered it through a Travel Zoo offer , and will certainly return .
The welcome was excellent , and our room in the converted " Cow Shed " was better than many 5* hotels we've stayed in . A comfortable king size bed , large bathroom , and lovely views from the back over the orchard .
We had the 5 course taster menu included , and this was excellent . the cauliflower veloute was creamy and very tasty , the goats cheese and beetroot , superbly cooked . The home smoked salmon was very good , and the lamb excellent . My wife's piece of lamb was not very good , but the waiter took it away apologised and the next piece was superb , the situation was handled very professionally , and without any fuss , as it was just that piece of meat .
The wine list was limited , but very reasonably priced
Breakfast was also excellent , with everything freshly cooked to order , and homemade fresh bread for toast , with home mad preserves , also good choice of cereals and juices .
Thoroughly recommend this Hotel

Room Tip: We had a room outside the hotel , in the courtyard, but all the rooms that we saw looked great
1  Thank mog120
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trowbridge
The White Hart Hotel
#1 of 3 in Warminster
Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Hinton Charterhouse

Been to The Moonraker? Share your experiences!