“Chillout pamper weekend” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Trowbridge
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Chillout pamper weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Just been away for 'Mothering Sunday' at this lovely hotel and spa. Have been several times
before over the last 7 years and this one didn't disappoint. Came away with my sister having booked a few months ago and didn't realise we'd booked the 'Mothering Sunday' weekend so that was even better, a real treat to ourselves. As always the food is excellent and so much of it. Staff are very friendly and helpful and the therapists are always very professional and courteous. I think this spa is very good value for money. We always upgrade one of the treatments, this time we decided to try the 'Hot Stone Massage', what a treat that was, very relaxing, in fact I fell asleep for a short time. I shall be having this one again on my next visit. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. Enjoyed the pool, jacuzzi and sauna when we first arrived and can honestly say its a really good place to chill out.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Frome, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

Stayed for an advertised valentines break, which was far from romantic overall especially as at 10pm the heating went off and after ringing the duty manager who was also the waiter and the Barman he didn't know how to work the boiler and brought an electric heater to the room, which didn't appear to have been PAT tested!

The treatment I had (reflexology) was good with really pleasant therapist. All staff friendly enough but the whole place was cold and is in need of a refresh. Cobwebs and dust in various places and just no atmosphere or welcoming feeling.

The food as part of the package was good overall as it did taste good even though not quite as advertised with Cajun missing from the steak, and we're weren't asked how the steak was to be cooked. A side plate was on the table but nothing offered in terms of bread, very basic table settings with a chip shop style vinegar bottle, cheap paper napkins and no attempt of any valentines decoration not even a flower on the table and the dining room was cold with local pop radio on for ambiance! We sat for dinner at 8.00 and was back in the room by 9.15. Overall disappointing and not the valentines break we were hoping for!

Main moan of the room. - kettle didn't switch off, heating went off at 10pm, paper shower mats which was useless.

Disappointing stay overall no atmosphere and

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Trowbridge hotels

gloucester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

My friend recommended fieldways as shes been coming for 11 years with friends and family.i admit i felt uneasy in room 11 but just would ask to stay in a different room next time,i dissagree with updating it,its a lovely house how it is and updating i feel would ruin the relaxed feel if you prefer modern i wouldnt recommennd this place.food was nice although be nice to have a different menu 2nd night for evening meal.we had hot water and room and bedding was clean.excellent treatments and service will come back.

• Stayed February 2011
Worthing, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

I would highly recommend this hotel if you're happy for fairly basic accommodation and you're on a budget as it offers extremely good value for money. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by my stay there. We were very lucky to get a half price offer through the Daily Mail which made it even better value for money!

I was absolutely taken with the original part of the building itself - it has such character and fortunately the owners have retained much of the original features which gives it a feel of what the hotel was like when it was a private house. I was dying to know more about the history of the place but unfortunately the history section that was supposed to be in our room brochure was missing . I think the fact that the place is a bit shabby and the grounds a little unkempt somehow added to the sense of history. I could just imagine it as it had been and there aren't many hotels like that these days. I particularly liked the Poets Room where breakfast is served which has original double glazing which I've never seen before (you'll have to see it to understand why I think it's so interesting!) and on my last day I suddenly noticed a tiny little door with a key in one of the wood panels. For me it was things like this that all added to the enjoyment of my stay. Perhaps if it ever fails as a hotel it could be open to the public as a stately home!

Our room was in the more modern section of the hotel and was basic but spacious with reasonably comfortable beds. The skylight window could have done with a blind. Also, the temperature of the water from the shower attachment over the bath was rather temperamental, constantly fluctuating, which was a little annoying.

The breakfast was very good (again, for the price) and the evening meals were freshly prepared and quite good for the price (we paid separately for these), although the menu is limited. I’m not sure if the hotel does a lot of business in this area so I can understand why they keep things to a minimum. The wine was very reasonably priced starting at around £10.50 a bottle.

We could have used the pool and jacuzzi while we were there but we didn’t have time in the end so I can’t comment on these facilities. There was a charge of £4.50 per person for this. We had hoped we might have been able to use them for free as we were hotel guests, but again, due to the very good price of our stay I can see why this is extra.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful, particularly when it came to providing gluten-free meals for my sister.

All in all I was extremely happy with my stay. To the hotel owners - if you're refurbishing at any time, please please please don't get rid of the character of the building!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Catherine T
Stockport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

I stayed for two nights on business.
Check is was fine and immediately shown to the room.
The room was spacious and clean with on suit facilities. No issues with the room at all and the bed was fine.
I used the swimming pool, Jacuzzi and sauna on the first night and the gym on the second, all very good and everything in full working order. The pool was clean.
We eat in the bar one night and outside the next. The bar menu is fairly limited but is supplemented by the al a carte. We didn’t eat the the restaurant, but the food would have been the same. I understand the chef is new. The food was promptly served by a happy waitress,. The food was very good.
The breakfast was also very tasty.
The Hotel is an old mansion type building, so the current decor does fit the surroundings.
It would cost a fortune to bring into the 21st Century and in my opinion this type of building would fit modern decor.
The bar area is not great and this could be looked at. The outdoor eating was fine, with views into the garden.

All in all a very pleasant stay at a well run hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

A beautiful stately looking house in a good position for amenities and towns, but the hotel needs lots of tweaking within the hotel rooms. Everywhere needs decorating and refurbishing. However, the breakfast was excellent and lovely staff who were very obliging and pleasant.
Its just a shame the Bar was a very odd sort of area with dreadful furniture and no atmosphere at all. The hotel rooms were enormous and grand until you looked at detail but with new decoration and furniture would be fabulous. The bed was the worst I've slept in, very worn and I kept rolling to one side and low down too. The whole place needs complete updating which i realise is expensive but would certainly bring in more business. In its present state I simply cannot recommend it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank westburygirl
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2011

I travelled with some friends to get away for the weekend. The service was really good although the waitresses are young, I noticed people taking advantage and becoming rude, bossing them about. The rooms were OK. They were clearly, newly refurbished with the 'essentials' but i mean its only a 2 star so you cant go wrong. The food was excellent. The evening meal was really nice and extremely hard to eat (because there was so much), the lunch was a buffet jacket potato meal, which was a good amount and there was plenty there. Also the breakfast on the Sunday was limited, compared to the Saturday but all food was served at a decent standard.
Treatments were extremely nice, if not better than other hotel spas. The pool, gym and saunas were also to a good standard, and had pool to ourselves most of the time. All staff were extremely nice and welcoming, although reception is dated and could do with more of a welcoming atmosphere. Would be good if there was a little 'shop/counter' which sold cakes, biscuits and drinks throughout the day. Bar not open 24/7. Also hotel is close to town centre, with buses running frequently from top of drive, 5 min drive OR a good half hour walk down the road.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank mysteryadvisor67
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trowbridge
Premier Inn Trowbridge Hotel
#3 of 7 in Bradford-on-Avon
Bishopstrow House
Bishopstrow House
#1 of 3 in Warminster

Been to Fieldways Hotel & Health Club? Share your experiences!