“Freezing hotel”

Fieldways Hotel & Health Club
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Trowbridge
Reviewed 12 December 2012

We stayed for one night in single rooms. It was freezing, they don't put the heating on at night at all, even though it was -2 degrees outside. The window was left open all day before we arrived so one room was especially cold. The reception is not staffed overnight so there was no one to complain to until the morning. They simply stated they do not put the heating on at night as policy. I didn't manage to sleep at all from the cold, the windows are not even double glazed so the draft comes through.
I have never written a comment on trip advisor before but thought I should warn you to save yourself £60 per room per night. I was very disappointed.

Room Tip: Don't go, choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Anne O

Reviewed 9 December 2012

Just returned from an overnight stay , with four treatments. Myself & both daughters. I found the reception very good, treatments excellent, food really yummy. Very clean rooms, bedding etc. All the staff very helpful,and accomadating. It was my first visit, but I will definately be going again. Yes some areas need a tad updateing,but all was clean.What more could one ask for. Excellent value for money

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed here during a friends wedding. Service and staff were great. The hotel sadly needs a lot of investment as it was run down and in need of maintenance. Such a shame as in a lovely location and the building is lovely and situated in lovely grounds.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 11 October 2012

My 3rd visit to Fieldways, this time with my grandaughter, her 1st hotel experience. We settled in to our rooms before the usual lunch of jacket potatoe, coleslaw, cheese and coronation chicken. Had a quick dip in the hot tub and tested the sauna, before rushing to our 1st treatments. The therapies offered are really relaxing and I couldn't wait for my 2nd Thai foot massage experience with Sarah. Lunch was at 12.00 noon and dinner at 6.30pm, we were grateful for the pack of 2 biscuits supplied with tea and coffee in our rooms for mid afternoon.

Although the main chicken dish lacked sauce/gravy, our 3-course evening meals overall were good, served by a young lady with a pleasant smile. The wine at £10 a bottle good value.

Even though the beds were comfy, both of us slept badly. My grandaughter awoke with a fright - was it a dream? whatever it was, it didn't want to go away and kept her awake for the rest of the night - from 4am onwards. A disturbing experience in room 2, although she would like to go to Fieldways again but in a different room or maybe share a twin room next time.

I agree with earlier reviews about the decor of the Hotel in need of some TLC. Oh, the towel is still mopping up the water at the side of the sauna!! (see August review), the floor near the jacuzzi is dirty and the cloakroom/toilet near the treatment rooms is not flushing properly.

The treatment times advertised did not always match the times taken to complete the treatment, therefore feeling a little cheated of 10 mins or so of chilling time!

Overall, Fieldways offer value for money, with pleasant staff and professional therapists - cheap and cheerful and chilling!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Julie H
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I booked the hotel hoping to use the health club facilities but an over-run at work meant I checked in late at 8.30pm to be told "The chef goes at 9" which sorted my evening agenda and put paid to any use of the health club!

The hotel itself is a fabulous building (wouldn't like to try and date it but felt like a traditional grand country retreat). I suspect that this is a small business / family run hotel and the struggle to maintain the upkeep of the building must be a never ending one for them. There was nothing wrong with the building at all but just felt long overdue some kind of face lift. My room was quite a hike from reception which was interesting but a touch aggravating carrying a large suitcase. I suspect that disabled customers may experience difficulties in reaching the furthest outposts of the hotel ....... lots of stairs and doors to negotiate, But I am sure that they can offer level access if requested at the time of booking

The evening meal was great, well cooked and promptly served in a lovely oak panelled dining room - perhaps the environment would appeal more to the traditionalists amongst us?

The room was OK - it was small and there was only a shower and no bath, and the TV was tiny I'm afraid. Basic but clean is a reasonable description and to be fair the room rate was favourable so I shouldn't complain. I've certainly stayed in a lot worse and paid a lot more

Overall I wish the owners success and the team there are clearly trying hard, but without a significant marketing plan or injection of cash I don't see much changing on the horizon for them

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Rocknroller99
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Just come back from my third visit to Fieldways and it never fails to impress!
For the first time I had a Hot Stone Massage which is a new item available on weekends only - there are several other treatments that have been added to the 'weekend' experience - this was fanstastic and well worth the upgrade from the full body massage.

As per usual the staff were great - weekday receptionist a bit annoyed when interupted from crossword but the dining room and treatment girls were great and nothing was too much trouble!
Yes - some of the rooms do need some TLC BUT in the years that I have been coming here (which must be at least 5) the prices have not increased, the therapies are very good and the products used are good quality and the food is not carrot juice & salad but good and wholesome with vegetarian options available so I think for the money paid this is a VERY good value establishment - also this is not a snobby place - all comers are made welcome and made to feel uncomfortable by wannabes who think that they are at the local Country Club!

I am planning my next visit and will, I know, enjoy it just as much as I always have.

Thanks for making me feel human again Fieldways!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Suze04
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Staff was really helpful, good quality reasonable priced food.
gym and pool was good.
really nice hotel. inside needs a little TLC.
The room smelt of dampness.
The bathroom needed to be refurbished thou.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trowbridge
1 mi away
Bishopstrow House
Bishopstrow House
#1 of 3 in Warminster
Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel

Been to Fieldways Hotel & Health Club? Share your experiences!