“Weekend away” 4 of 5 bubbles

Fieldways Hotel & Health Club
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Trowbridge
“Weekend away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I agree with the previous review in that some reviews paint an unfair picture. The therapists are very experienced and represent excellent value for money but there are changes needed that would enhance the experience overall. The rooms were fine, the evening meal hot and tasty and the general ambience relaxing. However, the pool area is unwelcoming and needs a good clean. The beautiful and interesting building could be shown off at its best with some new furniture to uplift what is a tired looking interior. Little touches such as replacing the kitchen rolls in the cloakrooms with towels or air driers and re-fixing toilet roll holders to the walls would give an overall impression that it is looked after. What can't be disputed is that the treatments were first class and excellent value and the staff generally looked after us very well. I would return again.

2 Thank Anncorri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

I do think previous reviews have been a little unfair. Yes there is room for improvement. Some parts of the hotel feel unloved and the swimming pool area could certainly do with a power hose cleanse, new tiling and removal of pool cover. However the therapists were great and all other staff most accommodating. The food was homely and all in all we four old school friends came away feeling relaxed, having enjoyed a stay in a small, personal hotel. Top tip for owners: make reception more welcoming, change sofas in spa lounge, sort out pool area. Food absolutely fine and great value for treatments. We would return

3 Thank annaocallaghan
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

We have been coming to this Hotel since 2005 ? hasnt change in all the years we have been coming BUT this year took the biscuit, there were 13 of us, they had lots money from us all and when we ask for a room to change because are treatments havent finish they ask a extra £10. please. The spa area was not that a nice flim over the hot pool. It is very dated I must say the only thing that kept us going there are the ladies are great the best ever. The NEW management should learn some thing off the Ladies what do the treaments and it would be brilliant. The showers could do with a good overhaul.

1 Thank osbornemollie
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

We have been coming here for years. Our trip last year was not good due to changes that were happening, but we put that down to teething problems, but this year was far worse. The changes are not working. I dont now how this place continues to keep running ... its like a modern version of Faulty Towers! Its an absolute shambles from the moment you walk thru the door until you leave. We saw the 'Manager' within the space of a few hours working in the Office/Reception/Kitchen and then do therapies - you may want to pat her on the back and say 'well done' but at the end of the day it shows lack of staff/organisation; spread yourself to thinly and its obvious every area is suffering. I actually feel sorry for the Therapists, these fantastic ladies have been here for years, and its lovely after all these years to see their familar faces and them to recognise us. We have never been able to fault the treatments or the professionalism of the therapists but this was the first time you could sense it was taking its toll on them also - they are obviously doing the best they can under bad circumstances, having to pick up the pieces from errors made from those above. Management (if you can call them that) do not seem to listen. A cold hotel, worst evening meal we have had there, burnt offerings for breakfast, total cock-ups on names/treatment times. The bar was so cold in eve that we retired to our rooms early, so they missed out on our money there! I understand everyone needs to make cutbacks, but cutbacks have to be made in the right places ... cant they see its just not working. We WONT be back (sorry therapists -
but a big thank you to all of you for all the happy memories you have given us over the years - good luck)!

Room Tip: Cant believe im saying this after all these years - AVOID!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Im A

Travellers are raving about these Trowbridge hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

I have stayed at this Hotel for an annual get together with friends for the past 12 years, which says that we really enjoy staying there. We have noticed a few differences over the years, particularly with the shake up of Management, resulting in a few hiccups here and there but nothing more than any other establishment with the same changes. Having read the other reviews I have to agree that there are updates which desperately need attention, in particular the hotel bathrooms and the spa area and hope that the increase in prices will reflect in these changes. I have to admit that it was cold when I stayed there at the end of January but come on, it's the middle of winter and with the package prices being held low for many years i'm sure plenty would moan if the prices were put up for the extra heating. I just packed an extra layer to allow for the cold and if I was really bothered then I would book to go in the summer months.
Overall the place has a lovely atmosphere which has a lot of character and the staff are very welcoming, with good food available also. The therapists have years of experience and do a fantastic job of providing relaxing treatments.
I will continue visiting Fieldways and always recommend it to friends new and old as it's value for money as well as a lovely place to stay and couldn't imagine not being able to go there.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 - 9 are in the older part of the house, big in size but plumbing not great but lots of chara...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MrsMcJones
Bath, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

Went to the "spa" on 30th January for my birthday...
We booked the time out package for 5 people...

When we arrived at 9.30 we were given coffee in a room and then showed to the spa...

Basically, we were frozen cold from the time we arrived until the time we left. The pool was so cold swimming was unpleasant, Jacuzzi was lovely though.

The lounge area (conservatory) was freezingggggg.... We then noticed the patio doors were propped open. One member of our group shut them and turned all radiators on.... for 10 minutes later staff to turn them off and put the door back open?!?! Crazy!

Our two treatments were lovely... but again we had to sit in the beauty area waiting room most the day as it was warmest...

The light buffet lunch consisted of a jacket potato with 2 toppings... not really a buffet as such! 2 of our group could not finished their lunch as their treatment timetable clashed with lunch.... when I went to see if we could bring lunch forward an hour as we had no treatments... I was told no! only to find out we were the only 5 people there.... however the beauty therapist phoned the kitchen and made them bring down coffee and mints to subsidise what they missed.

We were told that owner/management are now solely running the place after sacking the hotel manager... My mum has been 3 or 4 times previously and had a fantastic experience so it just shows that the new arrangments are not working...

We will not return again and the 65 pound price tag is no way justified.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank prettyangel359
essex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

Where to even start with this shocker of a ''spa''

In a nutshell it's a hotel with a dingy old pool and moudly hot tub.

First arrived for lunch and was shown into a room no warmer than my freezer. Lunch consisted of baked potatos and numerous fillings which was nice enough. No complaints there however eating with a coat and scarf as it was so coldo wasn't the best experience. 2 requests later the staff member put the fire on.

Shown to room which was a bit hit and miss. Lovely new shower however the 99p mirror really let it down. No bathrobe which for a spa is unusual. I suppose walking in and seeing everyone wearing their own dressing gowns and 'onsies' should have given me a clue.

The package I booked included 3 treatments. I had a back massage, Indian head massage and a facial.
The therapists were lovely BUT the waiting room was another story.
I felt like I'd stepped back into a 1980's living room with a cracked old leather sofa and an empty display cabinet. It was also bitterly cold in there to the point I needed a blanket.
One of my treatments was booked for the following day (I'd paid extra for a pedicure) arrived for the treatment to find the therapist had forgot about me and gone home. Lovely

Next was the swimming pool and hot tub. I thought the faded green plastic chairs were a nice touch but it was the yellow hazard tape around the stairs into the hot tub that really wowed me.
The mouldy grout, chipped tiles and yellow scum floating in the water was a bit off putting so I decided not to venture any further in fear of my health.

All in all it was the absolute worst hotel I've ever set foot in and to have the pleasure of paying £160 was just insulting.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank viv4romessex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trowbridge
Premier Inn Trowbridge Hotel
#1 of 3 in Warminster
BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel
BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel
#3 of 7 in Bradford-on-Avon

Been to Fieldways Hotel & Health Club? Share your experiences!