“To the disabled, if you wishhto feel humiliated, bullied and a worthless nuisance, then this is the place for you”

Dartington Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Dartington B&B and Inns
camborne
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Yes, this is how I felt after one night of a planned three night stay in this award winning hotel. I realised that if I were very small, could climb numerous staircases, could duck under the beams in an attic bedroom, use the toilet while crouched under a low sloping ceiling and crawl over the end of the bed because there was no room to approach from the sides then I could well fit into this hotel. Staff, management and design showed a complete lack of care, courtesy or consideration for a disabled guest. I was even bullied, verbally abused and threatened by a fellow guest who snatched the last available disabled parking space right in front of me although he was not disabled but who told me with a torrent of abuse that he had been told in reception to park there and that the disabled were useless people.
On arrival we were directed to a room along narrow corridors through heavy fire doors and up and down many steps with no offer of help with luggage. I ran a bath but it filled with a dark brown sludge. As reception was on answerphone my husband walked back to the desk and was offered an alternative room. We packed and moved to the tiny attic room described in my opening paragraph.
After less than 24 hours of our visit and after my encounter with the bullying guest in the car park we asked to see the manager, who offered us yet another room change, a soothing cup of tea and a partial refund. Unable to face further upheaval,hostility from staff and a fellow guest we opted to leave. How can a reputable hotel treat a disabled guest with such contempt when at the time of booking we had made clear that I am registered disabled.
My birthday weekend was ruined, my confidence shattered and my ability to trust a hotel when booking seriously undermined.

1 Thank lynn c
Tej W, General Manager at Dartington Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Lynn c

Further to your comments regarding your stay with us I have investigated your booking and unfortunately we were not made aware that you require disable facility prior to your arrival. Due to the age and restrictions of the building unfortunately we are limited in alternatives which we can offer and the hotel was fully booked on that evening. We have procedures in place to ensure that if we are aware of a disabled guest attending they are pre-allocated the accessible room.

I can assure you that under no circumstances would a member of Dartington Hall advise a guest to park in the Disabled bays and we actually have parking attendants who will place a ticket on any car unauthorised to park there.

I can not comment on the fellow guest you mentioned as none of the staff witnessed this and if they did we would have certainly moved them on to enable you to park, but I am sorry that you had to encounter this.

I do hope that this one off experience will not deter you from returning to Dartington Hall in the future.

Tej

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We decided to return to Dartington Hall after having had a really good few days there in May 2013. Sometimes, things don't live up to expectation when first visits have been so enjoyable. However, this wasn't the case for us when we returned to Devon last week.
Our room was stunning and I can thoroughly recommend it (Room 2 in the West Wing). It was spacious, stylish and very comfortable. The bed was enormous, and the bathroom had a large walk-in shower along with a large bath. Dartington Hall is just as beautiful as ever and the grounds are a joy to wander around. It really feels so special to stay in such wonderful surroundings.
The White Hart ( the on site restaurant) has changed the menu and style of food since last year, and whilst it may please some diners, it is our only criticism. We loved the English take on Tapas, and were looking forward to enjoying more on this visit. Each to his own!
The reviews of stays at Dartington Hall seem to be very mixed, but I can only say that we will certainly be returning again in the future.

Room Tip: The West Wing Superior rooms are much more spacious and have masses of character, but if the budget...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Tej W, General Manager at Dartington Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear Cali4Uk

Thank you for your recent review, I am pleased to hear that you had a wonderful experience with us.

south-west uk
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The surroundings at Dartington can't be beat. The views are lovely and the gardens are just stunning. The hall itself is lovely and it's a real privilege to be able to stay somewhere so historic (both in terms of the building and the history of the arts/cultural history of the past century). Our room was very nice. The bathroom was quite dinky, but that's what you expect in a historic building. The breakfast on the first day we stayed was great, but on the second day it was a complete shambles - I wonder if they were understaffed? All in all I felt a little bit underwhelmed, but maybe because I had such high expectations given the beauty of the hall itself.

Dear jdkhi

Thank you for your comments, and I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was a mixed experience.

I have discussed your comments with regards to the breakfast buffet with the restaurant team for future improvements.

I am always striving to improve the property and I do hope that you return to us in the future when it will be my pleasure to welcome you.

Regards

middle england
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We have visited Dartington Hall many times but last year we stayed for the first time and it was a dissapointment. Lots of small niggling things got in the way of our enjoyment and at that time there were a lot of similiar reviews but what a difference a year can make. The act was together during our stay and it made a magical place perfect,

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear jsuzieq

Thank you for your recent review, it’s good to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Kingsbridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

This is a wonderful venue and the staff are friendly and helpful. I had a room in the West Wing in the attic which was quaint, comfortable with an amazing bed. The staff were cheerful and friendly and the grounds were amazing.
However, the person servicing my room obviously got bored half way through and only made the bed before leaving the room exactly as they found it, friends in another room did not even have their bed made.
We arrived for breakfast at 9am on Sunday, only to find that visitors to a lecture were having breakfast and hotel guests did not have seats or tables and the food had virtually run out. The restaurant was understaffed and we had to clear and lay our own tables and wait for a reduced menu. People from the event dispersed without seeing each other and some gave up on breakfast. This was a disappointing end to the weekend especially as I had put arrangements in place to prevent this happening.
The organisation for my event was poor and disjointed and I ended up carrying out some of the work that the hotel had promised to do myself.
Check out was confused and prolonged because the events team had failed to pass on information to the reception
Such a pity - but I would only recommend this hotel if there were a change in management - although it would have been amusing if I had not been there for an event and then the disorganisation may have been entertaining

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Linda

Following on from your comments as you are aware both myself and the COO of Dartington Hall has responded to these points directly and we do not feel that your comments are a fair reflection of your stay. We have in fact gained further business from your event as your attendees enjoyed their time at the Hall.

However it is clear that we are not the venue for you but I do take any constructive criticism on board from my guests and act accordingly.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We've visited Dartington Hall numerous times. We've had lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, been to the cinema and sometimes just walked round the gardens. We always have a lovely time at Dartington.

Our latest visit, which was a romantic night away for D+B+B, was no different. All the staff were helpful and polite, from check in, to the restaurant staff, and to those serving breakfast. Our room was superb and had wonderful facilities. It was very comfortable and we had a great nights sleep.

We came away feeling like we'd had a long weekend away, not just a night! We will definitely be looking to stay there again. Brilliant!

Dear ThisIsJules75

Thank you for your recent review, it’s very good to hear that you had another wonderful stay with us, and enjoyed our grounds, bedroom, food and service in the White Hart.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

We needed a hotel or B&B near Totnes for a night. We booked an en suite double which was boutique in style, though on the top floor. Breakfast was in the restaurant, self-service. Overall good value and would be a lovely setting in nice weather.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear trishfea

Thank you for your recent review, it’s very good to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us, and enjoyed our food and service in the White Hart.

Tej
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartington
Royal Seven Stars Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ashprington
The Cott Inn
The Cott Inn
#2 of 5 in Dartington

Been to Dartington Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!