Yes, this is how I felt after one night of a planned three night stay in this award winning hotel. I realised that if I were very small, could climb numerous staircases, could duck under the beams in an attic bedroom, use the toilet while crouched under a low sloping ceiling and crawl over the end of the bed because there was no room to approach from the sides then I could well fit into this hotel. Staff, management and design showed a complete lack of care, courtesy or consideration for a disabled guest. I was even bullied, verbally abused and threatened by a fellow guest who snatched the last available disabled parking space right in front of me although he was not disabled but who told me with a torrent of abuse that he had been told in reception to park there and that the disabled were useless people.
On arrival we were directed to a room along narrow corridors through heavy fire doors and up and down many steps with no offer of help with luggage. I ran a bath but it filled with a dark brown sludge. As reception was on answerphone my husband walked back to the desk and was offered an alternative room. We packed and moved to the tiny attic room described in my opening paragraph.
After less than 24 hours of our visit and after my encounter with the bullying guest in the car park we asked to see the manager, who offered us yet another room change, a soothing cup of tea and a partial refund. Unable to face further upheaval,hostility from staff and a fellow guest we opted to leave. How can a reputable hotel treat a disabled guest with such contempt when at the time of booking we had made clear that I am registered disabled.
My birthday weekend was ruined, my confidence shattered and my ability to trust a hotel when booking seriously undermined.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dartington Hall is a grade 1 listed property set within a 1200 acre private estate. Our bedrooms are located around the 14th century medieval courtyard offering a mix of heritage and comfort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Superbreak UK, 5viajes2012 S.L., Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your Dartington Hall Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dartington Hall Hotel Dartington
- Dartington Hall Hotel Devon