“Hmmmm - luke warm”

The Shops at Dartington
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

If you're passing, worth popping in but I wouldn't go out of your way especially.
I thought the Food Shop was excellent until..... We had left and I discovered that the large box of Dartington Fudge bought for £10.99 was going to be out of date two days after our visit!
Shame as we were planning on giving it as a present a week later :(
Admittedly I should have checked but it's still, at worst, naughty of the shop or at best, unprofessional of the staff.
Therefore we cannot rate the experience higher than three stars.

There are newer reviews for The Shops at Dartington

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Very interesting artisan crafts, great pottery, sculpture, glass and jewellery for sale. The shops have changed a little in the last few years and I think are becoming a little less unique e.g. there is now a high street outdoor clothing retailer and some of the smaller units that were lovely individual shops are sadly no more..Still very nice to look round though and plenty to see.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I remembered Dartington as being a really lovely place to visit with exceptional shops and cafes, a real attraction. On this visit I was very disappointed. The craft gallery which was one of the few places worth a visit was now tucked away at the back. Lovely local pottery and artwork there, very interesting. Why is the rest of the place so ordinary now? In the main shop, pottery from Thailand, why? South Devon is full of potters, why would they do that? The cafe was like a motorway cafe, the shop was like a sad corner of John Lewis, bizarre music playing and dreary atmosphere.
There seemed nothing local there any more and everything has gone down market and cheap. This is a fabulous venue which has lost its way.

3  Thank MrsJeanetteSutton
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Many small businesses with lots of 'different' bits an pieces in one venue. On the more expensive side - but I always find something to treat myself or others with. I am not a natural shopper though. Today a couple of funny birthday cards and an ice cream. Fashion, jewellery, Dartington Glass, kitchenware, toys, smellies, Foody treats and a couple of restaurants - one vegetarian. There are others too. Good half day out - we often take visitors and they all enjoy it.

1  Thank Devonrock
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Visited here whilst on holiday. Enjoyed looking at the Dartington Glass shop lots of seconds to buy. However the rest of the site was ordinary to say the least the food shop was as other reviewers have said expensive. So much more could be done here. I think this reflected the lack of visitors on the afternoon we were there.

1  Thank dollymix7