“Perfect in every way”

A Room in the Country
A Room in the Country
Ranked #1 of 3 Kirknewton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in the family room for three nights. Claire was lovely and very welcoming along with Barney. Room was very comfortable and everything you could wish for and more. We all enjoyed our breakfast and was plenty of choice. We loved the cakes in the room each night yummy!! And hubby loved the wee dram of whisky on our arrival. We will certainly be back again. Very soon I hope. I will certainly recommend to everyone a real gem.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alison C

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Claire and her family welcomed us for our two night stay more like relatives than customers. Our dog was treated like family too, and Claire went over and above any hostess I've ever come across. She helped us book dinner, taxis, and even walked our dog whilst we were away at a wedding.
The price was fabulous for such a neat, tidy, and well equipped room.
I can highly recommend this B&B to anyone who needs to stay in this area!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank patchcs
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Scottish hospitality at its best!
From the start of my 1 night stay to the end the hospitality, service, helpfulness, breakfast and cleanliness was just perfect.It was one of the best B&B I have stayed in. I received such a warm welcome from our host Claire.It was just a wonderful experience.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank daveed_13
Reviewed 5 July 2013

After the adventure of driving from Edinburgh airport (keep to LEFT of road) it was a warm welcome and relief to find Claire waiting for us. Barney gave us a warm, and noisy, welcome as well.

This was a family trip with my two teenage daughters, one way to St. Andrews for the month.
Claire so very nice and warm, and I was looking forward to the cakes tea I knew would be in our room. The room was a very large and warmly decorated room with two Queen beds and two sofa beds and lots of floor space.

I was actually expecting an older property but the home is modern with all the amenities and conveniences.

Claire had great suggestions re local dining as well as dining in Edinburgh. Don't miss "Tiger Lilly" resto in Edinburgh!

She also suggested we take the "park and ride" bus from Kirknewton rather fight the parking/driving situation in Edinburgh. It seemed a good decision, though try to get the 25X Express bus.

This was our second trip to Edinburgh and we love the city and love the people.

Looking forward to our next trip and to staying at A Room in The Country again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I stayed here 2 nights ago, whilst on business in Edinburgh. I'm so glad the Edinburgh hotels were booked up or I wouldn't have looked outside the city for accommodation. It's a beautiful house on a lovely estate. I was given a warm welcome by Claire and Barney the dog. The room was really nice, and I was delighted to find a delicious huge piece of cake awaiting me. Couldn't wait to make a coffee so I could eat it. It was superb!! Very pleased that there was a cafeteria and real coffee. I don't usually drink coffee in guest houses or hotels, because it's usually instant and horrible, so it was brilliant to have such good coffee. There were plenty of teabags; not the usual miserly two, and a nice big teapot to brew it in. As well as cake, there were chocolate biscuits and a dram of whisky. Great bed, plenty of wardrobe and drawer space. Pristine clean shower room and great shower. It's the most comfortable, clean, welcoming place I've ever stayed in and I'm only sorry it was a quick business trip, not a longer leisure stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank LittleOnt
Reviewed 2 November 2011

We stayed in the family room which was very comfortable. We were warmly welcomed by Claire and she had kindly left a dram for us in our room. We would highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Alba56
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Having travelled 7 hours on the motorway from Buckinghamshire and arriving at 11.30 pm we were warmly greeted by Claire.
The rooms are lovely, warm and welcoming and so was the wee dram of whiskey that awaited us in our room....
Everything is there that you need and if there is something that you need Claire will help.

Breakfast was set in a lovely room looking out across the garden to the nearby fields, No built up area or houses to spoil your view. You have a great selection to choose from, from a juice to full Scotish breakfast. So pleased you have porridge tooo.

You get tea and coffee in your room and choccy treats and cakes too...... Beds are lovely warm and comfortable too... There is plenty of room for parking in the large drive.

If you want something for the evening, menus are available for local take ways which you can eat in the dining room. Not your rooms... which I think is very sensible...
Local restraunts can be recommended and directions given by Claire if needed.
Edinburgh airport is only 15min drive so close porximity to the local area is only a short drive away.

Claire is a lovely hostess and always has a lovely smile for you.
We will visit again.

I ps Barney the dog is lovely toooo

Room Tip: All the rooms are fantastic