“Happy 'staycation'”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kirknewton
Downham Market, United Kingdom
“Happy 'staycation'”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

My family and I spent a few days at the Dalmahoy.
The setting is stunning and the grounds are well kept. We are not golfers so can not comment on the golf grounds.
Ponies and sheep in the fields as you drive up to the manor made me feel that this hotel would be special.
The hotel is has two parts, the old original manor and the new 'complex' of rooms.
If you have been reading other peoples reviews you will have noted that to get to your room in the 'new block' is like, well, what I imagine it was like to run around the crystal maze!

It seemed to make no logical sense but don't let that put you off.
The main manor is dreamy, I wish we could have been in this part.
If I was the grounds keeper I would be tempted to grow some Ivy and Wisteria to cover up the 'new complex'. It looked too new for my liking and in my opinion it would look better if hidden with some foliage.
The young lady on the front desk was A*! We have been to many marriotts, even got married in one and this young lady was by far the most pleasant, helpful and inviting member of staff we have met.
Dalmahoy take note, you have a budding star there!!

Zest: hummm, not up to standard!
We prefer to eat in the marriotts 'Zest's' as we have young son and it is less formal but still feels and has a high standard.

Meals were incorrect, no apology made when it was mentioned. The food however was lovely, service let it down. I believe we were just unluckily 2 out of 3 meals.

The breakfast was lovely and had a wonderful choice. The staff were just right, not too much or too little.
Well done to all the staff on that! You have found that perfect balance!
On the whole I loved the hotel and it's staff and would happily come back!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
pa
Reviewed 25 August 2012

wonderful hotel great pool' good meals. comfortable rooms. staff could't be nicer. we stayed here during a tripo to scotland. close enough to the city to be easily accessible but far enough to be rid of the noise. A bus route down the drive takes you in or you can drive, although with edinburghs streets I would not. .

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2012

The rooms were well decorated and spacious. Due to the lay out of the hotel, it is a small challenge making your way to your room. The food on offer was good. The breakfast staff weren't the warmest and the reception staff were sharing private chats in front of guests. This was mentioned to management and they have promised to attend to these points. All in all, the hotel was great value for money and I would gladly go back on my next business or golf get away.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We decided on a break in the UK for this years Summer Holiday, and I had a load of Marriott Reward Points to use, so we decided on 5 days in the Dalmahoy Hotel near Edinburgh.

The hotel is well placed just outside of Edinburgh, and is easily accessible by car. There is a park & ride within 2 miles of the hotel, which is great for accessing Edinburgh city centre without the hassle of parking.

The hotel itself has 215 rooms, and consists of the old hall, along with a more modern accommodation block which is where we stayed. We checked in on the Saturday night fter a 350 mile journey, and was welcomed by one of the nicest, most polite Marriott staff we have ever met. We were shown to our room (which was quite a trek from the main entrance) by the duty manager, and we were provided with wonderful welcoming gifts (no doubt because of my Platinum status, but even so, it was a pleasant surprise).

The rooms are spacious, and are typical Marriott standard rooms. The beds, as usual, are very nice, and the rooms were nice and quiet. My one niggle with the room was the lack of air conditioning. I know its Scotland, and there isn't much call for air con for most of the year, but it was 23-25C when we stayed, and ended up having two noisy by powerful desk fans to keep us cool at night.

We ate several times at the Zest bar, and the food was delicious. The service wasn't quite as attentive as I have come to expect from Marriott (our order was incorrect 2 out of 3 times) but this really is a minor problem that in no way spoiled our stay.

The pool was clean and well kept, but at 1.2m (4ft) deep it made teaching my 6 year old to swim very difficult, as he kept putting his feet on the floor! The changing facilities are rather public, so if you don't like showing off your junk to others of the same gender, you'll need some serious towel-changing skills. We didn't make use of the gym (gyms cause me shortness of breath and light-headedness!) but it seemed well stocked with all those contraptions that prevent you having to run round the beautiful Scottish countryside.

Breakfast is excellent, with a full Scottish breakfast comprising of all the usual pork products (I haven't eaten so much pork in years!) with cereals and fruit for those more health concious than I. Service at breakfast was excellent, and eggs could be ordered any way you wanted them.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at Dalmahoy, and would be happy to go back if we found ourselves in Edinburgh again.

2 Thank memoreks
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2012

A wonderful hotel. We stayed 3 nights in the main part of the house and found it just perfect.
if you like old places with character with creaky floorboards, period features but with modern bathrooms then this is the place for you.
All the staff were very friendly and service was excellent on reception, the bar and the restaurant.
We also ate in the golf club area and apart from the nasty view above the laundry area this was also very nice.
its only 3 miles from the park and ride so its easy to get into edinburgh from here, which we did 3 or 4 times. a real must if you want a good quality hotel but easy access to edinburgh.
my only complaint is that they charge you £12 a day for Wifi!!! this is really quite an insult when even a little B & B doesn't. they need to look at this.
Breakfast also offer gluten free items but its not advertised - so do ask.

Room Tip: Queen Ann rooms in the main house. But there is no lift so if you can't walk up 3 floors then d...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank valerie_posner
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed here to be away from the city centre as we knew it would be very busy with the Tattoo and the Edinburgh Festival on. The hotel was a beautiful old mansion, the grounds have a lovely golf course in them and round the front of the hotel, lovely gardens. The swimming pool is great and they have a wonderfully equipped Gym too. Food was expensive but beautifully cooked and served. Drinks also on the expensive side, glass of wine and pint of beer £10. Our room was on the lower ground floor so we had no view, there again we were not there to look out of bedroom windows; the room itself was very smart and clean, with a lovely comfortable bed, we watched some tv, however we didn't need to use the wi fi but I believe it was very expensive. All in all a lovely weekend trip and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: rooms on the lower ground floor have no sounds from outside to waken you.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed 20 August 2012

As a friend of mine was visiting from America and staying at the hotel, I decided to book a golf time on the Championship Course at Dalmahoy. I know the weather has not been kind this year but the golf course is in the worst condition of any course I have played and that includes many municipal courses. The fairways resemble the car park at the Royal Highland Show in some places and the fringe grass is so thick and covered in previous cuttings it makes finding your ball impossible a yard or two off the fairway. At one point on the tee I advised my friend to aim for the middle of the fairway 200 yards out at which point he said "what that muddy waste area in the middle".

The course is not cheap and I was not warned of the condition at the point of booking or before teeing off. It's really not good enough. Even the distance markers don't make sense, with different colours on different holes representing the yardage.

Members must be furious.

Things didn't get that much better after our round. The bar in the hotel was being used for a private function but I could buy a drink and take it to another room - fair enough. However the bar had no nuts or crisps as they had run out and not had a delivery (I was offered Olives instead which was a nice touch). On moving to the golfer bars in the leisure club they had nuts and crisps so clearly that delivery had made it to one end of the hotel.

If you are planning to stay to play golf be warned, it really is poor at the moment.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Tom G, Director of Operations at Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 4 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give us such detailed feedback, it is very disappointing to hear that your visit was far from your expectations.

With regards to the golf courses. we are fully aware that our courses have not been up to our usual standards this year. It has absolutely been the most challenging year we have ever experienced and has been very difficult at times to maintain our product to a high standard. This has been purely down to the weather and the rainfall we have encountered this season.

For the Gogarburn and surrounding areas, we have had 5 times more than the normal for the water level for this area so far this year. This has impacted greatly on our day to day chores - Cutting not been done as regular, chemicals not being applied as normal, overflowing burns and hazards, bunkers being washed out, and generally the courses looking tired and untidy. The greenstaff at Dalmahoy this year have worked tirelessly round the clock to get the courses in the condition that we all expect, but I am afraid at times we have really struggled to maintain our normal high standards. Your points regarding the courses are justified and can only apologise that you have not seen the East and West in their true splendour.

We are currently embarking on a programme which will address all the areas that have suffered the most this year. At the end of this we will then enter into our winter programme which will include extensive drainage work, coring and re-turfing which will put us in good stead as we move into the new year. At that point I can only hope that we never experience another year like it from a weather perspective. The focus moving forward is very much to get both courses back to the condition that we are normally accustomed to.

If you would like to contact me directly to discuss this further, my email is tom.gibson@marriotthotels.com.

Kind regards

Tom Gibson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirknewton
Edinburgh Marriott Hotel
#86 of 149 in Edinburgh
Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh Airport
Novotel Edinburgh Park
#81 of 149 in Edinburgh
Dakota Edinburgh
#1 of 4 in South Queensferry

Been to Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!