“A great escape in a country setting just outside Edinburgh!”

Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kirknewton
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

A lovely stay with a clean bedroom although I was a little disappointed to find my bed sheets on my side of the bed were not properly tucked under the mattress (to which I quickly amended this)

The buffet breakfast was good with a vast range of options including fresh omelettes, cooked options and continental.

The swimming pool was disappointing as the spa bath was cool and didn't have much power! There is no jacuzzi.

Overall a good night sleep in a nice Marriott hotel!

• Stayed: April 2014
There are newer reviews for Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I stayed here for one night only during a conference at nearby Heriot Watt University so didn’t get to see much of the hotel or the grounds. The hotel was a sprawling old manor-type building which meant some of the rooms were very far from the reception and involved lugging my case up and down stairs (even on the ground floor). No staff offered to help. There should at least be some step-free access.

The room was comfortable and clean, but the decor in the corridors looked somewhat worn. Breakfast was a wonderful buffet of warm and cold foods. A chef was present to cook fresh fried eggs or omelettes.

For a four star hotel, I would not expect there to be an extortionate charge to access Wi-Fi in the rooms. Even the most basic hotels in my travels around the world have offered free Wi-Fi (and not just in communal areas) so I think the hotel really needs to re-think its policy on this.

Room Tip: Most ground floor rooms are very far from reception with no step-free access so ask for help with yo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Tom G, Director of Operations at Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast during your visit, the Omelette station has been a big hit with all of our guests! I do appreciate your comment regarding the Wi-Fi charges in the bedrooms, please be aware that internet access is complimentary in all of our public areas.

Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to Dalmahoy sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

The staff here couldn't do enough for us, from carrying our cases to our room and letting us in the pool for a late night swim! Had a lovely meal in the bar as the restaurant had stopped serving when we arrived. Only complaint is Expedia regard this as a hotel close to Edinburgh Airport, but it's a bit of a jaunt away! The lovely hotel was worth the extra miles though.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Had a lovely time at the Dalmahoy, and was pleasantly surprised to experience such friendly and serviceminded staff! (which can unfortunately not be taken for granted any longer)

The breakfast buffet was good.
I had dinner(s) at the Zest restaurant and was happy with the menu selection and the prices.

The pool area was nice, though I wouldn't call it a spa.
I had a treatment at the beauty salon and can recommend this!

The location.. if you're looking for peace and quiet, this is definitely a good place to stay! The surrounding area is beautiful, though I missed some walking trails.
I don't golf, so I couldn't tell you about the courses, but I hear they're good :)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I was really disappointed with the way they piled on the extra costs at this hotel. I was staying for work and as such needed to use the WiFi. I had assumed in a 4* hotel this would be included. It was £15 per day. It cost extra money also to watch films on the TV and you had to buy you coffee in the morning with breakfast. To add to the budget hotel feeling it is no just guests that use the leisure center but locals can be members, be warey of school holidays as they have children's swimming lessons in the pool constantly for local members.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank kate_l_hughes
Tom G, Director of Operations at Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Kate

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay here at Dalmahoy, Marriott Hotel & Country Club. I am sorry to hear that you felt let down by certain elements of the stay.

We have over 30 channels available on our bedroom TVs, covering a broad range of sports, international news, as well as numerous popular channels. You do have to pay for the on demand films, most of which are not yet available for general sale.

Dalmahoy also provides complimentary wireless in all of our public areas, though I appreciate your frustration regarding the internet charge in your bedroom; the in room connection is a very secure line. Please be aware that we only charge for speciality coffees at Breakfast, standard filter coffee and all teas are complimentary, this is now something we will look into.

We do have substantial leisure facilities here, which are free for all guests to use; these were fully refurbished just over a year ago. I do understand that certain areas can at times be quite busy as we do have a large loyal membership base, I am sorry for any inconvenience this caused.

Please accept my genuine apologies for any impact the above issues had on your stay, and be assured that we will look at how your feedback can be used to improve the overall experience here at Dalmahoy.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I went here with my boyfriend for an overnight stay. The grounds were beautiful and the room very comfortable. However, on trying to book a massage, we were told the spa was fully booked which was very disappointing. There was no warning that we would have to book this in advance. The pool was lovely but filled with children which ruined the romantic atmosphere a bit. The restaurant was beautiful and we were well attended by the staff. However, the food had an overpowering amount of salt, so much in fact that it left my mouth tingling and was rather unpleasant. There was also a tomato and olive paste with my main course which tasted strongly of fish. This was repulsive but the staff were very helpful and brought me a new dish without it. Our sleep was incredibly comfortable and felt luxurious and breakfast the next morning was delicious. Finally, I was incredibly surprised that they wanted to charge us £15 for internet, considering the cost of the overnight stay already, and the fact that cheap hostels provide internet for free.

Overall, this was a pleasant stay but I won't be rushing back.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the golf course. We got stuck with a wall.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Tom G, Director of Operations at Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Soraya

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay here at Dalmahoy, Marriott Hotel & Country Club. While you have taken the time to acknowledge the highlights of your trip, I am sorry to hear that certain elements of the stay did not live up to your expectations.

It is great that your room was as comfortable as you say; a good night’s sleep is one of the most important parts of any hotel stay! I appreciate your comment regarding the internet charge, please be aware that we do provide complimentary wireless in all of our public areas, and the in room connection is a highly secure line.

I am sorry that you found dinner was not to your liking; comments such as yours are shared with kitchen team. The Wild Boar does come with a tomato tapenade, which contains garlic, parmesan, basil, breadcrumbs as well as sun blush tomatoes. Unfortunately I am unsure where the flavour of fish may have come from, though it is pleasing that your issue was dealt with by our competent team. We are very proud of our breakfast here at Dalmahoy, so it is great that you found it delicious!

Please be assured that we take all feedback seriously here at Dalmahoy, and that the relevant issues will be discussed with the team. I am sorry to hear that you feel you might get better value elsewhere in the area. If you would consider giving us another chance I would be happy to make your booking personally, and you can contact me directly on tom.gibson@marriotthotels.com

I hope to hear from you soon!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Spent a lovely weekend break 4th-6th April with friends ( 4 couples, golfers and non golfers ). Excellent and friendly service experienced from all the staff during our stay. Lovely atmosphere in the hotel dining and bar areas. The room was very comfortable ( basic Queen room ) with all tea/coffee facilities and toiletries that was required. Spent 2 lovely evenings for dinner in the Pentland restruant with excellent food and fine service. Played golf courses East and West very enjoyable. Will return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fifer1075
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirknewton
Edinburgh Marriott Hotel
#86 of 150 in Edinburgh
Novotel Edinburgh Park
#76 of 150 in Edinburgh
Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh Airport
Dakota Edinburgh
#1 of 4 in South Queensferry

Been to Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!