“Remains Awful. Do not Eat there”

Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kirknewton
Reviewed 18 May 2014

The sad thing is that this hotel looks beautiful from the outside, almost like an old Scottish Baronial home. Brooding with turrets. Inside I really do have issues. All these comments must be considered in the light of paying 160£/night.
finding the room was complex, down various halls, up and down. Signage was poor. The room was average for the price. The breakfast again was very poor like last time, cheap frozen bread, poor quality ingredients etc. But this time the portion size of the dinner was incredible, as in incredibly small.
For 14.95 in their bar ( well they call it Zest restaurant/bar) I was promised a traditional cottage pie. There was little traditional about it. The cost was ridiculously high. The actual cottage pie was a small bowl of mince with a spoonful of potato on top ( not even browned in the oven). The portion size was suitable for a toddler who might not be so hungry. Something of a joke really. Marriott you should be ashamed. I will allow you from the photos to make your own judgement.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank beesbeesbees
Tom G, Director of Operations at Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your most recent stay, I am sorry that once again we have failed to meet your expectations. Please be assured that we put a great amount of focus on our customer feedback, and it is very frustrating to read your comments and also to see the photo of your meal in Zest.

We have dish specifications for all of our menu items throughout the hotel, and this is most certainly not how your Shepherd’s Pie should have looked. It is embarrassing to see that simple elements such as a proper mashed potato topping and a substantial bowl of veg cannot be provided. This dish should not have been allowed to leave the kitchen, and for this I cannot apologise enough.

I am sorry to hear that you struggled to locate your room, we do understand that the layout is quite complex. We do provide small maps at check in and the team should be asking if you require any assistance.

I appreciate that you may be reluctant to return here to Dalmahoy, but we are all committed to ensuring that our guests have a memorable experience for the correct reasons – if you would indeed consider giving us one more chance I ask that you contact our Guest Relations Team directly on mhrs.edigs.guest.relations@marriotthotels.com.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,844)

Reviewed 18 May 2014

This hotel is honestly one of the nicest hotels I have ever been too. It is perfect, the food is great, it has an amazing pool and sauna, a beautiful set bar, and even it's own golf course. Only a short ride from he centre

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My husband was attending a conference and I was able to join him for a week. The accommodations were lovely. The grounds were beautiful and it was only a half hour bus trip to Edinburgh. The food was very good. I would recommend the haddock almost anywhere in Scotland. The staff were gracious and helpful for someone who didn't know her way around and was going into the city mostly by myself. It was such a relaxing stay!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank winrobaaa
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed here for a conference.
This means full days from 8am-6pm and the first morning I was awoken at 5am by next doors TV blaring and people talking loudly over it.
When I informed reception all I was told was that they appologised but nothing more.

The breakfast was a melee and disorganised, food quality was average and tepid.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank jeels1
Tom G, Director of Operations at Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback I am sorry to hear that your neighbours disturbed your sleep. The hotel is operating at a very high occupancy at the moment, and it can be hard to control the actions of our guests. I have also passed your comments about Breakfast quality of food on to our Head Chef; this is something we are continuously looking to improve.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced, this was most certainly not our intention.

Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Great room! Absolutely brilliant food in the restaurant, tdh menu easily worth £40-60! The staff were fantastic! True professionals! Only down side was the golf courses condition, could have been slightly better looked after but apart from that a great trip and great hotel!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 May 2014

have stayed here on quite a few occasions and always have a lovely relaxing time. The rooms are cosy and the beds very comfortable. The dining room is gorgeous with views of the golf course. On our latest visit in January we had dinner on our first nights stay and the food was delicious. breakfast was as always plentiful, tasty with lots of choice. Both my husband and myself feel the only thing that did disappoint us slightly is the spa ( which up until our last visit had always been our favourite spa) it has been done up and is now white and bright, we much preferred the slate flooring and warmer décor. However we shall still be staying as much as we can.

Room Tip: you can catch a bus on the main road just outside hotel grounds into Edinburgh to save taking the ca...