“Review Specifically for their SPA PACKAGE”

Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kirknewton
Livingston, United Kingdom
“Review Specifically for their SPA PACKAGE”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My friend and I booked in for their SPA package, which in itself was quite difficult to do, website says no on site beauty facilities so you cannot see what is on offer for the spa day. However following a few phone calls discovered that 'Beauty Essentials' is an onsite beauty room but they are independant to Marriot and therefore not mentioned on the website, with a separate website and phone number - confusing!! Also the spa package we booked was through Marriot - bad mistake 'Beauty Essentials' have their own spa package which included 3 course lunch, robes, slippers, treatments etc etc. Ours was more expensive and didnt include lunch, robes, or slippers???(I had asked this question and was told yes we did get robes but when we booked in because we booked through Marriot it wasnt included?) it was also a pain having no robes to be in for a swim, sauna etc to them have to get changed and dryed to go upstairs for your treatments,. Then go back downstairs to get undressed again.....Also do not book a friday if you are looking for a nice relaxing afternoon at the pool - full of school kids swimming lessons, yes it does mention on site but very noisy and not enjoyable for a relaxing spa day.
Lunch - mmmm not good, we dined in the upstairs bar area for a snack, £6.50 for slice dry toast, mushrooms that were very dry (maybe leftover from breakfast) and a poached egg....... the look itself would put you offf.....Very very disappointed.
Following treatments from Beauty Essentials - If I was reviewing them alone I would have said excellent - very good facial from Liz. But our voucher promised pedicure and luxury manicure - nope we got a basic file and polish....we were also promised 25% discount on any purchases - yep youve guessed it 'No' as again Beauty Essential are their own company and do not honor this discount.
So in short very very disappointing day.......no tour of venue, no-one to tell us where anything was......poor quality and expensive food...
Apparently it does say on their website that some venues do not have their own Marriot owned beauty salons, but I couldnt see that. Definately will not be back

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank dew44

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Reviewed 25 May 2014

What an amazing stay we had. We were treated like loyalty by all the staff in the hotel. The views are stunning as were the rooms.
We had slight issues with the TV but honestly, the lady who came up to sort it was extremely friendly and understanding & we got given a free movie as a result.
It truly was the best hotel experience that we've had in the UK! We got a good deal as well and received the complimentary room upgrade as the advertisement advised.
My wife and I would highly recommend staying here & will be back soon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 18 May 2014

The sad thing is that this hotel looks beautiful from the outside, almost like an old Scottish Baronial home. Brooding with turrets. Inside I really do have issues. All these comments must be considered in the light of paying 160£/night.
finding the room was complex, down various halls, up and down. Signage was poor. The room was average for the price. The breakfast again was very poor like last time, cheap frozen bread, poor quality ingredients etc. But this time the portion size of the dinner was incredible, as in incredibly small.
For 14.95 in their bar ( well they call it Zest restaurant/bar) I was promised a traditional cottage pie. There was little traditional about it. The cost was ridiculously high. The actual cottage pie was a small bowl of mince with a spoonful of potato on top ( not even browned in the oven). The portion size was suitable for a toddler who might not be so hungry. Something of a joke really. Marriott you should be ashamed. I will allow you from the photos to make your own judgement.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank beesbeesbees
Tom G, Director of Operations at Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your most recent stay, I am sorry that once again we have failed to meet your expectations. Please be assured that we put a great amount of focus on our customer feedback, and it is very frustrating to read your comments and also to see the photo of your meal in Zest.

We have dish specifications for all of our menu items throughout the hotel, and this is most certainly not how your Shepherd’s Pie should have looked. It is embarrassing to see that simple elements such as a proper mashed potato topping and a substantial bowl of veg cannot be provided. This dish should not have been allowed to leave the kitchen, and for this I cannot apologise enough.

I am sorry to hear that you struggled to locate your room, we do understand that the layout is quite complex. We do provide small maps at check in and the team should be asking if you require any assistance.

I appreciate that you may be reluctant to return here to Dalmahoy, but we are all committed to ensuring that our guests have a memorable experience for the correct reasons – if you would indeed consider giving us one more chance I ask that you contact our Guest Relations Team directly on mhrs.edigs.guest.relations@marriotthotels.com.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is honestly one of the nicest hotels I have ever been too. It is perfect, the food is great, it has an amazing pool and sauna, a beautiful set bar, and even it's own golf course. Only a short ride from he centre

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My husband was attending a conference and I was able to join him for a week. The accommodations were lovely. The grounds were beautiful and it was only a half hour bus trip to Edinburgh. The food was very good. I would recommend the haddock almost anywhere in Scotland. The staff were gracious and helpful for someone who didn't know her way around and was going into the city mostly by myself. It was such a relaxing stay!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank winrobaaa
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed here for a conference.
This means full days from 8am-6pm and the first morning I was awoken at 5am by next doors TV blaring and people talking loudly over it.
When I informed reception all I was told was that they appologised but nothing more.

The breakfast was a melee and disorganised, food quality was average and tepid.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank jeels1
Tom G, Director of Operations at Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback I am sorry to hear that your neighbours disturbed your sleep. The hotel is operating at a very high occupancy at the moment, and it can be hard to control the actions of our guests. I have also passed your comments about Breakfast quality of food on to our Head Chef; this is something we are continuously looking to improve.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced, this was most certainly not our intention.
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Great room! Absolutely brilliant food in the restaurant, tdh menu easily worth £40-60! The staff were fantastic! True professionals! Only down side was the golf courses condition, could have been slightly better looked after but apart from that a great trip and great hotel!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirknewton
Edinburgh Marriott Hotel
#84 of 149 in Edinburgh
Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh Airport
Novotel Edinburgh Park
#81 of 149 in Edinburgh
Dakota Edinburgh
#1 of 4 in South Queensferry

Been to Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!