“Golf stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kirknewton
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Golf stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Was asked to caddy for friend taking part in Trilby golf competition,decided to stay here Cool welcome from reception staff was not a good start but the rest of the staff - mostly foreign - were more then pleasant during our stay Room was very nice ,bed very comfy, but having to pay for wifi
was a bit disappointing considering the prices they charge for the accommodation and drinks
I felt this should be included The breakfast was very good although I think the guy producing the omelettes could be doing with some help as a small queue had formed when I was there
Bit pricy but plenty of foreigners keeping it busy

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Stockport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stopped here overnight the night before my husband was playing golf in the William Hunt Trilby Tour, there was a special rate for people playing in the tour. The rooms were nice, very clean and a lot better than another Marriott one Hanbury Manor where we had paid nearly double (again special rate for Trilby Tour). The hotel is a little up and down and I notice someone put in their review poor signage, I thought the signage was fine, if you bother to read them then they take you exactly where you want to go. Very friendly staff on reception, especially Lindsay. Breakfast was good, food hot and lots of choice and in nice surroundings. There is a bus stop right across from the drive to the hotel that takes about 20 to 30 mins to get to Edinburgh, I think it was about £5.80 for a return adult ticket. Lots to do in Edinburgh and we chose to have our evening meal on The Royal Mile rather than at the hotel. A taxi for 6 into Edinburgh costs approximately £26. We went back to the sports bar at the end of the night for a night cap, it had a nice relaxed atmosphere. We didn't use the leisure centre but we took a look and the pool looks a decent size, staff friendly there too. I think the only negative I can say is one I also said for Hanbury Manor, there is no air con in the rooms and they were just way too warm, we had the window open which overlooked a garden enclosed by four walls of bedrooms, quite nice to look out onto but it didn't provide much ventilation in the room, again the corridors are way too warm. If stopping again I would enquire as to whether there are any rooms with air con.

Room Tip: Enquire as to whether they have rooms with air con. For anyone who has difficulty walking ask for a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Hertfordshire, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My party of five have just come back from a long weekend stay there. It is a lovely hotel with a gated entrance and a long drive approach with the golf course alongside. All the staff are smart professional and helpful. We went there for the my daughter to run the Edinburgh half marathon. A nice touch by the hotel on the Sunday morning when we came down to reception at 0700 was a large table with bottles of water and bananas to help themselves to and a notice ' For all the runners- Good Luck'. The beds are extremely comfortable. We got taxis all the time to and from the city centre and these were around £20 each way. My wife and daughters used the lovely swimming pool once during our stay and enjoyed the steam room and bubble pool. The buffet breakfasts are superb with fresh fruit, cereal and full cooked breakfasts and a chef cooking eggs to order. We ate in the Zest restaurant on our first night there.The rest of the time we went out to eat our evening meal.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Cumbria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have just spent 2 nights and 3 days at this lovely Hotel and Country Club with 6 friends on a golf break. It's the first time I have stayed here and the hotel is fantastic. The staff we came across were brilliant. Everyone was helpful, everyone said hello and everyone was very polite. I couldn't fault the food. The breakfast is buffet style, all you can eat if you want that and the quality of breakfast food was very good. We had dinner in the restaurant one night and the second night in the Country Club's Zest restaurant. The hotel restaurant has a very nice menu, which you could class as fine dining. After the meal I felt comfortable and felt I had had a tasty meal. There was a supplementary charge for side dishes. The meal in the Zest restaurant was more substantial and very enjoyable in a casual atmosphere.
It was a bit of a trek to our bedrooms, but that said the rooms are of a good size and the beds are really comfortable. I had no complaints about the hotel and would certainly revisit.
The 2 golf courses are excellent both very challenging in there own ways. Even the heavy rain over the weekend did not dampen our spirits.

1 Thank PeteB107
Livingston, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

My friend and I booked in for their SPA package, which in itself was quite difficult to do, website says no on site beauty facilities so you cannot see what is on offer for the spa day. However following a few phone calls discovered that 'Beauty Essentials' is an onsite beauty room but they are independant to Marriot and therefore not mentioned on the website, with a separate website and phone number - confusing!! Also the spa package we booked was through Marriot - bad mistake 'Beauty Essentials' have their own spa package which included 3 course lunch, robes, slippers, treatments etc etc. Ours was more expensive and didnt include lunch, robes, or slippers???(I had asked this question and was told yes we did get robes but when we booked in because we booked through Marriot it wasnt included?) it was also a pain having no robes to be in for a swim, sauna etc to them have to get changed and dryed to go upstairs for your treatments,. Then go back downstairs to get undressed again.....Also do not book a friday if you are looking for a nice relaxing afternoon at the pool - full of school kids swimming lessons, yes it does mention on site but very noisy and not enjoyable for a relaxing spa day.
Lunch - mmmm not good, we dined in the upstairs bar area for a snack, £6.50 for slice dry toast, mushrooms that were very dry (maybe leftover from breakfast) and a poached egg....... the look itself would put you offf.....Very very disappointed.
Following treatments from Beauty Essentials - If I was reviewing them alone I would have said excellent - very good facial from Liz. But our voucher promised pedicure and luxury manicure - nope we got a basic file and polish....we were also promised 25% discount on any purchases - yep youve guessed it 'No' as again Beauty Essential are their own company and do not honor this discount.
So in short very very disappointing day.......no tour of venue, no-one to tell us where anything was......poor quality and expensive food...
Apparently it does say on their website that some venues do not have their own Marriot owned beauty salons, but I couldnt see that. Definately will not be back

4 Thank dew44
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

What an amazing stay we had. We were treated like loyalty by all the staff in the hotel. The views are stunning as were the rooms.
We had slight issues with the TV but honestly, the lady who came up to sort it was extremely friendly and understanding & we got given a free movie as a result.
It truly was the best hotel experience that we've had in the UK! We got a good deal as well and received the complimentary room upgrade as the advertisement advised.
My wife and I would highly recommend staying here & will be back soon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

The sad thing is that this hotel looks beautiful from the outside, almost like an old Scottish Baronial home. Brooding with turrets. Inside I really do have issues. All these comments must be considered in the light of paying 160£/night.
finding the room was complex, down various halls, up and down. Signage was poor. The room was average for the price. The breakfast again was very poor like last time, cheap frozen bread, poor quality ingredients etc. But this time the portion size of the dinner was incredible, as in incredibly small.
For 14.95 in their bar ( well they call it Zest restaurant/bar) I was promised a traditional cottage pie. There was little traditional about it. The cost was ridiculously high. The actual cottage pie was a small bowl of mince with a spoonful of potato on top ( not even browned in the oven). The portion size was suitable for a toddler who might not be so hungry. Something of a joke really. Marriott you should be ashamed. I will allow you from the photos to make your own judgement.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank beesbeesbees
Tom G, Director of Operations at Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your most recent stay, I am sorry that once again we have failed to meet your expectations. Please be assured that we put a great amount of focus on our customer feedback, and it is very frustrating to read your comments and also to see the photo of your meal in Zest.

We have dish specifications for all of our menu items throughout the hotel, and this is most certainly not how your Shepherd’s Pie should have looked. It is embarrassing to see that simple elements such as a proper mashed potato topping and a substantial bowl of veg cannot be provided. This dish should not have been allowed to leave the kitchen, and for this I cannot apologise enough.

I am sorry to hear that you struggled to locate your room, we do understand that the layout is quite complex. We do provide small maps at check in and the team should be asking if you require any assistance.

I appreciate that you may be reluctant to return here to Dalmahoy, but we are all committed to ensuring that our guests have a memorable experience for the correct reasons – if you would indeed consider giving us one more chance I ask that you contact our Guest Relations Team directly on mhrs.edigs.guest.relations@marriotthotels.com.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirknewton
Novotel Edinburgh Park
#81 of 150 in Edinburgh
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,440 reviews
Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh Airport

Been to Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!