“Feels Like We Could Be "Royals"”

Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kirknewton
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Thus converted castle is the place Prince Charles comes to play golf. That should give you some idea of the clientele. Rooms are incredible but finding them can be tricky because this property is sprawling. The worse thing is how far out of Edinburgh it is; however, the city bus does have a stop at the front gate. Dining there requires you to have a hefty wallet or limitless credit card maximum. Burgers were more than $30. The staff is very helpful and they went to great lengths to help me report my stolen camera to the authorities . It had been "lifted" from me on the Royal Mile in the city but I did not realize it until I got back to the hotel. You'll enjoy this place. Pretend you're a king or queen for a few days and take in all of their offerings.

• Stayed: September 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,782)

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was a very good base for sight seeing in the Edinburgh area, it is about 15 mins from the city but well worth staying.The city has so much to offer and to do while enjoying the restaurants and night life.The people are great and oblidgeing and helpful.Good break away holiday.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I arrived at 5pm to stay overnight and attend a business meeting the following day. It was great to see so many people around, some on the golf course and others attending the gym and swimming facilities.. Would be great if they kept a specific hotel guest parking area as it did mean having to park some way away from the hotel reception. The receptionist was courteous and the room very pleasant, clean, with suitable desk and wifi facilities. The gym and swimming facilities were good - pity the steam room was not working properly. Breakfast the following day was good. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Was asked to caddy for friend taking part in Trilby golf competition,decided to stay here Cool welcome from reception staff was not a good start but the rest of the staff - mostly foreign - were more then pleasant during our stay Room was very nice ,bed very comfy, but having to pay for wifi
was a bit disappointing considering the prices they charge for the accommodation and drinks
I felt this should be included The breakfast was very good although I think the guy producing the omelettes could be doing with some help as a small queue had formed when I was there
Bit pricy but plenty of foreigners keeping it busy

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stopped here overnight the night before my husband was playing golf in the William Hunt Trilby Tour, there was a special rate for people playing in the tour. The rooms were nice, very clean and a lot better than another Marriott one Hanbury Manor where we had paid nearly double (again special rate for Trilby Tour). The hotel is a little up and down and I notice someone put in their review poor signage, I thought the signage was fine, if you bother to read them then they take you exactly where you want to go. Very friendly staff on reception, especially Lindsay. Breakfast was good, food hot and lots of choice and in nice surroundings. There is a bus stop right across from the drive to the hotel that takes about 20 to 30 mins to get to Edinburgh, I think it was about £5.80 for a return adult ticket. Lots to do in Edinburgh and we chose to have our evening meal on The Royal Mile rather than at the hotel. A taxi for 6 into Edinburgh costs approximately £26. We went back to the sports bar at the end of the night for a night cap, it had a nice relaxed atmosphere. We didn't use the leisure centre but we took a look and the pool looks a decent size, staff friendly there too. I think the only negative I can say is one I also said for Hanbury Manor, there is no air con in the rooms and they were just way too warm, we had the window open which overlooked a garden enclosed by four walls of bedrooms, quite nice to look out onto but it didn't provide much ventilation in the room, again the corridors are way too warm. If stopping again I would enquire as to whether there are any rooms with air con.

Room Tip: Enquire as to whether they have rooms with air con. For anyone who has difficulty walking ask for a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My party of five have just come back from a long weekend stay there. It is a lovely hotel with a gated entrance and a long drive approach with the golf course alongside. All the staff are smart professional and helpful. We went there for the my daughter to run the Edinburgh half marathon. A nice touch by the hotel on the Sunday morning when we came down to reception at 0700 was a large table with bottles of water and bananas to help themselves to and a notice ' For all the runners- Good Luck'. The beds are extremely comfortable. We got taxis all the time to and from the city centre and these were around £20 each way. My wife and daughters used the lovely swimming pool once during our stay and enjoyed the steam room and bubble pool. The buffet breakfasts are superb with fresh fruit, cereal and full cooked breakfasts and a chef cooking eggs to order. We ate in the Zest restaurant on our first night there.The rest of the time we went out to eat our evening meal.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have just spent 2 nights and 3 days at this lovely Hotel and Country Club with 6 friends on a golf break. It's the first time I have stayed here and the hotel is fantastic. The staff we came across were brilliant. Everyone was helpful, everyone said hello and everyone was very polite. I couldn't fault the food. The breakfast is buffet style, all you can eat if you want that and the quality of breakfast food was very good. We had dinner in the restaurant one night and the second night in the Country Club's Zest restaurant. The hotel restaurant has a very nice menu, which you could class as fine dining. After the meal I felt comfortable and felt I had had a tasty meal. There was a supplementary charge for side dishes. The meal in the Zest restaurant was more substantial and very enjoyable in a casual atmosphere.
It was a bit of a trek to our bedrooms, but that said the rooms are of a good size and the beds are really comfortable. I had no complaints about the hotel and would certainly revisit.
The 2 golf courses are excellent both very challenging in there own ways. Even the heavy rain over the weekend did not dampen our spirits.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank PeteB107
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirknewton
Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
#4 of 4 in Livingston
Novotel Edinburgh Park
Novotel Edinburgh Park
#74 of 151 in Edinburgh

Been to Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!