“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kirknewton
Beccles,
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Got a really friendly welcome when we stayed here 28th of July. Nice room, although you have to walk quite a way and it was a bit warm, (but then the weather in Scotland had been unseasonably warm). If you have trouble walking, ask for a room closer to the main facilities as there were stairs and lifts too. Ate at the bar restaurant and the food was lovely. Breakfast was good too.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Ayr, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

We have chosen to stay at the Dalmahoy for the past 6 years and always enjoyed our stay. On this occasion however there were too many things which left us feeling let down. Upon check in we were offered an upgrade for either £20 for a Deluxe room or £30 for a room within the main house. Our standard room which we had originally booked was already costing us £175.00 per night BB. My husband checked whether it was £30 per night or £30 for both nights, we were told it was £30 for both nights. We agreed to upgrade to the main house. Once payment was taken we realised it was in fact £60 extra! £410.00 was taken from our card. Not only this the receptionist (tall male) advised us at this point that the room only had one double bed in it, and asked if we would like an additional roll out bed for our Daughter. What? why would we not want a bed for our Daughter, has she to sleep on the floor? What a stupid question and why allocate us a room with only 1 bed in it in the first place when our original booking was for a triple room. My 6 year old Daughter was standing with us so its unlikely he missed her. Anyway we obviously said yes we needed an extra bed. We went to the room, the right honourable something or other only to find we couldn't swing a cat. Where was the extra bed to go? The room was tiny, yes it was tastefully decorated inkeeping with the old house and the view of the golf course was pleasant enough however no way was it worth £205 per night. As we had stayed many times before we knew what the standard rooms were like and trust me they were much larger and more comfortable than this cupboard. I immediately called reception and asked them to swap us back to our original booking. Back to reception with our bags to be given another room key. We didnt ask for the £60 to be refunded as we knew we would be dining there etc anyway. Once we arrived at room 145 it was as expected, large, clean, bright with 2 double beds. My little girl was immediately looking for a juice of some sort as we had now trekked the length of the hotel and its many stairs. Opened the mini bar and it was empty! Why? Later on in the evening we were about to complete the breakfast request sheet for room service but there was no pen. I went to reception and asked for a pen. I was told there should be one in the room, there wasnt. We had booked a table at the restaurant which was more relaxed we were told as we had our Daughter with us for this stay, I think it was called Zen but that may be wrong. On previous visits we had dined at the formal restaurant. Arrived at Zen to find it overlooked the swimming pool. It wasnt what I had hoped for but hey ho, we hungry and my Daughter didnt have to be super quiet if you know what I mean. The crab and cheese toasties were bland, the peppercorn sauce with my £27 steak was like water and the side salad consisted of shredded iceberg lettuce, nothing else. My Daughters tomato soup was Heinz from a tin, however the menu did state this, her fish fingers were fantastic though and all of our deserts hit the spot. Our meal cost £97.00 which we felt was so over priced for what essentially was average food. This included a bottle of wine. My husband left a £10 tip to be polite, I on the other hand wouldn't have. We then went to the cocktail bar to buy some drinks for our room so the little one to go to sleep. We purchased a cocktail, 4 diet pepsi and a bottle of wine. We asked if the room had a bottle opener to be told yes. Guess what? No bottle opener. Called reception who said the room does have a bottle opener, assured them it doesnt. 15 minutes pass and then a young girl arrives with a bottle opener for a wine bottle (screw type) no opener for the small bottles of pepsi. We did explain on the phone what we needed open. No one listens at the Dalmahoy. This could go on and on but even Im boring myself now! The breakfast was average as well, bacon resembled the sole of a boot. Oh and incidentally, we were charged £15.50 for my Daughters breakfast, why? Our rate of £175 per night was b&b. Tried to connect to the wifi aslo, this cost extra, off course it does. £175.00 per night isn't enough to keep this standard room operational. From a hotel background myself I know this will actually cost you around £40. Pure greed and shame on you. What has happened to the Dalmahoy? I wont be back to find out.

Room Tip: Stick to a standard room, they are larger than the main house rooms.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
3 Thank Lex M
Tom G, Director of Operations at Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear Alexis,

Thanks for letting us know about your recent stay here at Dalmahoy, I am sorry to hear that we gave you so many reasons to complain. Please be assured that we take all feedback here very seriously and thank you for allowing me time to prepare my response.

I am frustrated to hear about your upgrade confusion as it is a very straight forward process, we have addressed this with Tommy who checked you in, I apologise if you felt mislead, this was most certainly not his intention. He also should not have allocated you room 421 as there is clearly no space for an extra bed in that room. This is a training need which we have addressed with the entire team. I have personally checked the room you finally stayed in, and there is in fact a bottle opener built into the sink unit in the bathroom, but perhaps this was not fully explained to you.

We made the business decision not to stock our minibars over four years ago, and I appreciate that this is still a service our guests expect. I am also sorry to hear that you felt the food quality in Zest was not up to expectation, I have shared your comments with our Head Chef. We regularly receive great feedback for our breakfast, so to hear that you found the food quality so poor, is very frustrating. Be assured we will act upon your feedback. You are right that your daughter should not have been charged the full amount for breakfast.

As you have also contacted the hotel directly I have sent a goodwill gesture and hope you will accept it as an indication of our intention or restore your faith in Dalmahoy.
Hampshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have stayed here several times over the past couple of years for work and I love staying here. Can't fault anything. Beautiful hotel and grounds. Rooms are cosy. The pool and gym are great. Breakfast is delicious, with so much to choose from. The staff are very friendly. Outside the hotel grounds on the main road is a bus stop that goes into Edinburgh. Also near this bus stop is a Crown carvery which is a great value roast if you don't want to eat in the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
retford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed recently, think I got the last room in the hotel due to high demand of fringe festival, room was good, food was ok in the upstairs lounge. Drink selection was ok, gym was packed. Breakfast was very busy and they struggled to provide seating for everyone. Great choice at help yourself breakfast, with made to order omelettes available. Good value, looks like a cracking golf course for those that play.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We made an online reservation for this hotel and found a great deal that included dinner, bed and breakfast, having said that the dinner is only good for the Zest restaurant where the food quality is fine but the atmosphere is a little like a cafeteria, but I will say the service when we went was excellent and our waiter took drink and dinner orders from a group of ten and never put pen to paper and got everything right.........great job, he also had a wonderful sense of humour.
Rooms were a standard size and very clean and well equipped with everything you might need for an overnight stay, we did not have breakfast as we had a very early flight so cannot comment on that but I thought a hotel of this standard would offer packed breakfast bag or small continental table for the many people leaving on early flights.
This is a busy tourist hotel and also a busy last stop for many tourists leaving from the airport next day, check in is 3pm and don't be surprised if you don't get your room until 3pm. For the most part staff are very friendly with a couple of exceptions and you can certainly expect to pat Marriott prices for drinks and snacks at the bar. Hotel has a Spa but don't wait until the same day to book anything as they are booked in advance, also a nice pool but this seems to be full of screaming kids most of the time. We played the championship course while here , very enjoyable but of course once again very expensive especially if you had to rent clubs like we did. If you can find the right deal here it's well worth the stay and is convenient for the airport. One big down side is the extortionate charge for in room WiFi I see no reason why this cannot be free, it just seems the more expensive the hotel, the more expensive the WiFi while other standard hotels like Best Western or Holiday Inn offer this service at no charge. Also finding your rooms takes a little getting used to but once you figure out the maze system you will be fine, the hotel is very picturesque but there are no rooms in the old castle like building all rooms are on another wing and very modern.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Hackensack, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

The resort was nice. I found the employees made the difference though. Everyone was very helpful and pleasant. The two women working the leisure center/golf shop were friendly and helpful. The front desk did everything they could to make my stay pleasant. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
      Cleanliness
Newcastle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

was there with my parents , wife and baby for 2 nights over the weekend, I must admit being a Marriott regular customer was not impressed with the service provided.
right from check in the lady at the desk spoiled my surprise that she had no Idea that it was my weeding anniversary despite my pre arrival e mails to guest relation officer. I was told they had no information and then she said she will see what she can do and never heard from them.
the rooms were average from Marriott standard and my old parents were struggling with the shower, they were not given rooms which were aged people friendly.
the breakfast was great and I must admit the girls were great despite having a weeding party at the premises, hats off to them and thank you very much.
will I be going back to that property , well I don't think so with the welcome we got.
I think the impression I got was that they were more concerned about keeping the weeding party happy and had no consideration for other guest.
Thank you Marriott for spoiling my wedding anniversary . Thank god I have a great understanding wife and I could pull something in the end.
Also they could have charged me for discounted room for my 80 year old parents rather than charging full price.
I hope you read this.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Tom G, Director of Operations at Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Please be assured that we read all Dalmahoy reviews posted online, and we share them with the entire team.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your family's recent experience, and also for choosing to celebrate your anniversary with us! Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our breakfast, we have recently changed over a few elements, and are continuing to enhance the product. The team there are doing a great job!

I am very sorry hear that certain parts of your stay did not live up to expectations. I do appreciate how frustrating it must have been that we did not have the information you requested, this really got things off to a bad start. To help us look into this issue more thoroughly it would be great if you could contact me directly on tom.gibson@marriotthotels.com

I look forward to hearing from you soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirknewton
Edinburgh Marriott Hotel
The Chester Residence
The Chester Residence
#1 of 150 in Edinburgh
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,756 reviews

Been to Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!