“A friendly cantina by the sea.”
Review of Brisas del Mar

Brisas del Mar
Ranked #3 of 22 Restaurants in Guanica
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours
Description: I visited this restaurant on the Guanica broadwalk two weeks ago and found it small and with few tables, unlike those I have visited in “La Parguera” and “Combate”. The owner is an excellent host that welcomes you with great joy. The owner is also the bartender and waiter. All tables were full, which was the main reason to enter the restaurant (I think if the place is busy it’s have to be good). The atmosphere of the place is like the ones on the fishing village of Piñones in the Metropolitan shore of the Island. The bar has a giant TV screen where you can watch videos selected by the owner, the local people apparently are those who visit the place in regular terms. The menu is very limited, since it has an offer for kids and snacks to choose from are few, also serve soups and broths. From the menu you can choose: Lobster grilled mahi-mahi fillet stuffed with seafood, octopus salad or queen conch fritters with a companion of typical Puerto Rican. Request the appetizers: seafood turnover, “surullitos”, fish dumplings and “wings of the sea”. The wine list is limited. The food will arrive fresh to the table in about 30 minutes. All these details are overlooked when savoring the delicious taste of fresh fish and seafood. Again, I get disappointed when I ask the owner for dessert and he answers that they do not have any desserts after such a great meal. Prices are moderate between $ 10 and $ 30 plus government taxes (I.V.U.), no parking or valet parking and is a rich gastronomic adventure with a breathtaking view of the Bay of Guanica for those seeking to leave the city and find typical food from a seafood restaurant in a small town. It was good to know that “Brisas del Mar” accept debit cards, VISA and Mastercard. The restaurant's phone is 787-821-6372, the owner identified himself as just "Nando" and the restaurant is open from Friday to Sunday from 4:30 pm until midnight. It’s is a three stars place with the cleanest restrooms in the whole Broadwalk.
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We drove into Guanica on a Thursday night and Brisas del Mar was the only place open. The owner was very friendly and we sat at the end of the bar. The gentleman next to us turned out to be his father and he and my companion enjoyed conversing. While drinking a couple of the local beers we ordered food. The beer was refreshing but the food a disappointment. We ordered what the owner recommended and it was too much money for not much at all, and the quality was poor. My companion's lobster was obviously not fresh nor was my mahi-mahi, and it was not prepared as requested. I ordered it cooked in garlic and it came out cooked with onions and peppers and no evidence of garlic. The 'salads' were small amounts of wilted lettuce and unripe tomatoes. Normally we would have sent it back, but we were very hungry and unwilling to wait for what could have been nothing better. Not recommended for more than a drink.

1  Thank Richard S

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I am the owner's brother, who lives in Chicago for 20 years. My favorite ritual at Brisas is to order the Capitan (Captain in English) fish, which is a catch from far out at the sea. Because it is so hard to fish, many restaurants in the coast, limit themselves to Red Snapper (Chillo in Spanish). If you want to treat yourself to what I consider a tastier flavor or fish, ask my brother that I recommended the Capitan, either in garlic, in tomato sauce, or grilled with onions. I think you will not regret discovering this rarely served fish...
Depending on my brother's mood, and if you want to learn what music we like, he can serve you some concert videos of Puerto Rican, Cuban, Brasilian salsa bands, baladists, crooners to accompany your eating. If you bring your family, part of the ritual of being on this Malecon is to walk back and forth through the Malecon, seat on the water front to take the breeze in, and return to the restaurant to order some beers. On Sundays, the whole Malecon is very "children friendly" with cheap toys and local karaoke playing around. The adults refresh ourselves at Brisas while the kids run around the seafront Malecon... The last week of July of each year is the best time to enjoy the town's Fiestas Patronales, a week-long festival with Puerto Rican musical bands and dancing in the street under the stars. If you want to practice your "academy salsa" you learned, this is the time and place to try it without anyone criticizing your dancing proficiency. The dancing is popular, not from academies...

3  Thank Boricarioca
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I was staying at the Copamarina resort just up the road for a few days. I asked where a good, locals place was to hang out in the evening. Brisas del Mar was the recommendation. As soon as I walked in I felt as welcome as could be. Then owner was incredibly friendly and helpful. He introduced me to everyone in the place. I felt more like I was at his house - he was making sure all his guests were enjoying themselves. I had the conch for dinner - very good. Later at night I saw a couple of the staff from the resort there, too. Brisas del Mar has a very relaxed, friendly, casual, fun atmosphere. I highly recommend it if you're in the area.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Just went for vacation looking for an excellent dish and thats exactly what I found I had the Snapper fish it was awesome also the ambient and host of the place was great, I felt like if I belong there very nice of him thanks so much for your hospitality hope to visit soon again.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

We had the full red snapper with garlic sauce, yucca balls and plantain balls. The food was delicious but a bit more expensive than what we were expecting. We later found out that this is the common price for restaurant food

1  Thank primetime_ek