“A fine pub”

The Three Tuns Brewery
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We lunched here, having last visited 40 years ago, and I was apprehensive about the inevitable changes. I need not have worried. The brewery still turns out finely crafted beers, and the food was just excellent. Friendly staff, a huge portion of good fish & chips, great value for money, and well worth a visit if you are looking for the best in pub grub and ambience.

3  Thank Mike B
in 6 reviews
in 6 reviews
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 16 September 2013

I'm a local and have been having lunches at The Three Tuns with my husband and little boy since he was 5 weeks old. The meat and fish dishes (limited but you can ring in advance to reserve fish) are tasty enough, good chips but essentially pleasant food with a hint of 'gastropub'. It is atmospheric at the weekends and has fires for cosy corners and large windowed section for light which we prefer. The service is always accommodating if not exactly fizzing with fun and warmth - but this is the local pub for working locals who want good beer without music, so don't expect London-style (or Welsh style) charm. Mainly, I must recommend Rus Gromov's excellent taxi service. He is very sweet, cultured and thoughtful. Drives me and my boy as well as visitors from outside Shropshire who always comment on his courtesy, efficiency and super-comfy and clean car. He is Latvian with great English but possibly not always perfect pronunciation. I am confounded at anyone having a bad word to say about him - and am a fairly demanding customer of taxis and restaurants! The Castle Hotel, up the hill, is my favourite BC family pub with games for little ones and big kids, warmer service, comfy seating and a kitchen that really tries to please. Good for evening dates, always light fires, even on request. Larger fish menu from Thurs-Sun and wonderful garden with views over the hills.

4  Thank Surburbanlovers
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Nice inside, modern but olde worlde at the same time. Yes - they do some nice ales and the food looks good too! The biggest thing that the pub is missing is atmosphere!? there isn't any and as a result you're not drawn back to the place. The pub needs to step it up, you can't just rely on a good pint of ale and nice food, there needs to be a tangible atmosphere and unfortunately the three tuns is missing it.

Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

We didn't get chance to look at the brewery but the pub is very nice. Ale is obviously brewed on the premises so drinks are pretty cheap. We had two evening meals here. Prices are about £12.50 for fish, up to £15 for meat. My battered fish on the first night wasn't up to much but the chips were lovely, however spent most of the night with a raging stomach ache. The next night I had grilled salmon which was beautiful. Far nicer ambience than The Boars Head or the King's Head

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We visited this establishment over a bank holiday weekend...... even though they were not overly busy and there were empty tables, staff seemed unable to ascertain whether they were full or not!! we offered to sit in the bar area and were told they didn't serve food in there!!something we found odd as we have eaten in the bar area loads of times before!! Found the staff to be curt and unfriendly and to be honest the food (although tasty) is pricy..... we went farther down the road in the end to the Boars Head.. oh my goodness what a contrast!! even though they were extremely busy, they fitted us in (we ate in the bar area!!) and could not have been more friendly and helpful.The food was delicious and not expensive...... Although we have been to The Three Tuns loads of times with groups of friends (who are also disillusioned with it) we will not be returning!!