“Ok for one night, just.” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Park Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Redcar B&B and Inns
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Ok for one night, just.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

We received a warm welcome on arrival. We were even able to check in 3/4 hour early. The room, (7), was spacious as was the ensuite. Although a side room there was still some sea view. That's about all in it's favour. The outside didn't look particularly inviting but the inside had character. Definately in need of serious refurbishment though.
When we entered the room I noticed a loud noise that I took to be air con/fan. I was right about the fan, it was the extractor from the next room's ensuite; it was louder than our room's ensuite! There was no air con or fan, just a window. The decor was dated, especially in the ensuite and could do with a serious makeover. The matress was hard and lumpy, the pillows felt like they'd been stuffed with wads of cotton waste. In the bathroom there was no towel rail, not even a hook on the back of the door. The shower, whilst powerful enough was either scalding hot or freezing cold. It was quicker to run a bath than to regulate the shower. Whilst it was relatively clean the sealant was in desperate need of renewal, large splits and gaps all over. The people in the room next door, with the noisy extractor, left it on all night. What sleep we had was fitful at best.
Breakfast didn't really make up for it, it was average. The usual buffet style but with tea/coffee and toast to order.
A previous reviewer mentioned tight parking; the bays are very narrow. I had to climb over from the passenger's side because someone had parked so close to me I was unable to get in the driver's side!
It was a very hot day, and night, which didn't help as the room was like a furnace. Maybe it would be better in winter but I rather think the room would be like a fridge.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

The rooms are very basic and noisy. The sound of doors slamming from 6 o'clock in the morning so you won't need an alarm clock. Food is average. If you try to park after 6 in the evening the car park will be full and very restricted so if you don't mind your car being scratched or scraped you'll be fine.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank robcantyctalish375

Travellers are raving about these Redcar hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Went for tea thursday night with wife and daughther the barfood was amazing very fresh and great value for money good selection of drinks aswell barstaff always happy you do not get any better food for value and price welldone .The food was well presented and tasted great ate the lot.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Rather than rushing home like we usually do after a day at the races my husband and I decided to stay over in Redcar and travel home the next day. We booked into the Park Hotel - we had booked a triple room as we thought one of our teenage children might come with us but they declined the offer so it was just two of us. We had the Richmond suite which appears to be a converted attic. It was lovely - sea views, spacious , a huge bathroom with full sized bath, shower and complimentary shower gel, shampoo and soap. The room was nicely furnished, clean and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. Not sure if the sea air helped but I had the best nights sleep I've had in a long time! The water pressure in the shower isn't great and if you can't manage stairs then I would point this out to the hotel staff before you book - some of the rooms have quite a number of stairs to climb before you get there. The staff were helpful and friendly. You can get bar meals and there is a restaurant - we didn't eat there but we did have a drink in the bar which is reasonably priced and has a welcoming atmosphere.

Breakfast is served in the restaurant - modern and quite stylish. It is a buffet breakfast with a range of hot and cold items - including cereals and fruit juice. the staff bring you toast and tea or coffee but the rest is self service. I was particularly impressed with the sausages- very tasty!! However it is quite difficult to catch sausages with a serving spoon, can I suggest investing in an extra pair of tongs?

Overall we enjoyed our brief stay and if we decide to do it again would definitely consider staying at the Park Hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
English Riviera, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I have no knowledge of the accommodation , but my wife and I decided to eat there recently.
We just wanted a barmeal - I ordered Lasagne , my wife Scampi.
After I had scoured the menu and ordering, I was told the Lasagne was finished.
I ordered a steak and mushroom pie, both our meals with chips.
After a long time, the food came. First thing that assaulted my eyes was a big black chip on top of the chips which started me looking through the rest of them for similar offerings which we did find unfortunately.
The pie had the overpowering taste of Oxo / Bovril / Marmite and I'm one of those who hates the taste. The pastry (on the top only ) was rock hard and approx 2 cm thick, it wouldn't have looked out of place on the roof of a mediterraen house. My wife's Scampi looked dirty as did the chips - the reason simply being that the deep fryer oil, needs cleaning / filtering and the dirty oil or fat transmits a terrible taste. We ate the bits we could and hot-footed it out of there.
I don't handle complaining very well so didn't , I tend to become a bit "loud " and so avoid it and my wife doesn't like to be embarrassed.
There is nothing to prevent an English Bar or hotel from serving a tasty food to a good standard. This kitchen needs quickly shaking up . There doesn't seem to be any pride in their product , and they obviously don't understand what people are entitled to expect , and this sort of attitude and practice will take us back many years in the standards of bar meals which we know can be really good food and value throughout Britain.
We paid approx £ 22 including two small soft drinks - goodness knows what an overseeas visitor would have thought. It was awful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here a few times staff cant do enough for you and always with a smile rooms lovely very spacious the food is terrific and location is spot on w6 of us stayed recently snd all were very impressed we will be going back

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Redcar, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Went for the 3 course carvery for Mother's day .
Food and service was very good just a problem when you come to pay , you dont get a breakdown on what things cost in fact didnt see a bill.
I am sure I was over charged by quite a bit but didnt realise till I got home as I had my kids screaming at me.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank smoggies45
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redcar
The Spa Hotel
Cross Keys By Good Night Inns
Jurys Inn Middlesbrough
Jurys Inn Middlesbrough
#6 of 11 in Middlesbrough

Been to The Park Hotel? Share your experiences!