“Excellent hotel, staff very helpful and all with a smile!”
Review of Claxton Hotel

and 1 more site!
Claxton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 10 Redcar B&B and Inns
“Excellent hotel, staff very helpful and all with a smile!”
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Stayed with my family. Service and value excellent. This is our second stay and can't fault it.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank Sparkyoates

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We stayed here as we were contracting in the area. We were after somewhere cheap as we only get so much expenses. Stayed in the family room which was approx £65 so not bad between 3 of us. We stayed in other rooms too as we were there for over 3 weeks altogether.
Pro's:
-Good location overlooking sea front, and right on the main high street so shops and bars nice and close.
-Breakfast was quite good and reasonably fast service.
-Staff were friendly enough and easy going.

Con's:
-Decor looked like they took tips from Hyacinth Bucket. (keeping up appearances)
-Beds were ok but not the comfiest.
-Shower room was crap, No easy way to describe the poor workmanship that has gone into some of these rooms! Shower ceiling could be pushed out, and the taps were coming the wall when you turned them! Carpet around the toilet also not nice!
-TV was small and in one room we had, didnt actually work.
-Parking is a big problem, very small car park and first come first served scenario!
If you park on the roadside out front or back you WILL get a ticket!
-Noisey, drunk guests banging around and shouting, especially on a Thursday!

Our stay came to an abrupt end when we arrived one monday (after a continuous stay of 3 working weeks on the trot) only to find they had given our room to some other contractors (who were favorites due to them being there for around 10 months) we were offered 2 consolation rooms one of which was a dump.
We promptly canceled and stayed 3 doors up in the Park hotel, cost slightly more but Sooooo much better!!

See my other review for the Park Hotel!

Room Tip: Cheap is not necesarily cheerful!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank Grantrs4
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I stayed at The Claxton for one night and have to say although I would use the hotel again at a push I wouldn't rush to go back there. It cost me £35 and although the room was clean and tidy, it felt very tired. There was carpet in the bathroom area which always feels a bit 'manky' and there was a musty smell to the room. The heating was on sporadically which meant the room was cold, I remember taking a hot shower, rushing to dry off and diving into bed in a bid to get warm! And then spent my entire evening sat under the covers.
On the bright side breakfast was generous and the lady I spoke to whilst there was very friendly. All in all, it was a bit rough and ready and as a solo traveller it was a bit of a depressing stay. This could be a great little hotel but could really do with some investment to bring it up to date.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank NorthernMinky
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2010

My husband and I went to a Saturday evening meeting at Redcar races and wanted somewhere nearby to stay the night so we could both enjoy a drink. The Claxton is in a good location, at the end of the main street which seems to be busy with shoppers through the day and full of lively pubs at night. The hotel itself is clean and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Our room was okay but quite small, and the double bed was up against the wall. The en-suite was also quite small but adequate. Our room was in what looked like an extension which had been built at the back of the original building. The walls are paper thin and I could hear the people in the next room moving about. I even knew when they used the toilet, as I could hear the fan come on in their bathroom, the sound of someone having a wee and then the toilet flushing - not what you want when you're trying to sleep!! You could hear everything that was happening in the corridor outside too The bed seemed very small for a double, and as we're both of quite large build, we spent an uncomfortable night with me squashed up against the wall and him trying not to move too much for fear of disturbing me more, so neither of us had a good night's sleep. Our breakfast was okay, I would say they probably use cheaper stuff but there was plenty of it, the service from staff was good and it was cooked well.
For the price (£24 per night each for bed and breakfast), it's good if you're on a budget. We thoroughly enjoyed the races and then found a brilliant Indian restaurant on the main street to round off our evening so we'll probably go again next year, but if we stay at the Claxton I would book a twin room next time so we don't end up with one of us squashed against the wall. I'd also take earplugs to cut out any unwelcome noise.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bunny42
Redcar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2009

Born n bred in Redcar and did the roof on the claxton when walter brittan owned it in the 80s. Its the first place in the town most people seem tpo choose for their weddings or christenings unless they go further a field for more stylish quality accomodation.
Its certainly not 5 star or 4 Star but its the best in redcar when compared to its neighbour a couple of doors along ie The Park Hotel which is an awful lot more expensive and is not any better compared to the claxton. Its clean enough the claxton and is typical North East seaside resort accommodation, basic-comfortable-sea front location-everything you need.
One thing to watch for though is the front facing rooms can get a bit noisy in the mornings as the Local Buses park outside as the bus station is a couple of doors down the road and they may wake you up about 6-7am, they never woke us up even though we were on the front but its something to bear in mind.
The breakfast was absolutely spot on, and for the price we paid for 2 adults and 2 children including breakfast you certainly could not complain. We only stayed here as my brother who still lives in redcar his entire family had some stomach bug so we stayed 1 night in The Claxton as they only had the 1 night available and 1 night in The Red Barns.
WHAT EVER YOU DO DO NOT EVEN CONTEMPLATE THE RED BARNS. Its ok if your a working bloke contracting in the area but definately not for families or professional business men, go for The Claxton first and if thats full go for the more Expensive but just as good Park Hotel

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank RoyPartington
Arundel, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2009

It is 25yrs since I left Redcar and the resort was going 'downhill' then. Needless to say not much has changed and it really is in need of a 'shot in the arm'. However I was visiting relatives on Teesside and wanted to use Redcar as a base. The Claxton was mentioned to me by a friend and at £35 per person/per night B&B single occupancy It seemed a bargain so I booked for 3 nights. The hotel is located at the end of the High Street, just before the part of the beach, named The Stray, which has a newish paved promenade.

The hotel car park is at the rear and can only take about 3 cars, possibly more but you can get boxed in. No designated spaces you just park where you can and hope not to obstruct the premises either side.

Hotel is owned by locals and I must say they were all very friendly and accommodating. I had room 30 on the ground floor. It was clean/tidy had tea/coffee making facilities, a fully functional modern Digital Freeview TV with excellent reception, a compact but adequate en suite facility with toilet, wash hand basin and electric shower. All were in good working order and very clean.

Cooked breakfast, in the bar dining area, was served by the staff. The full English was acceptable and set you up for the morning, but I thought maybe fresh tomatoes would have been preferable to the tinned variety.
Fruit Juice, cereals and toast were self service.
Evening meal is available on request and if they have what you want they say they will cook it. On my first evening, after a 320 mile drive, I decided to eat in and was offered a chicken dinner. It was OK but lacked finesse , the chicken (roast half chicken) was good but the veg/gravy looked 'well worn' but at £6 there was no room for complaint. I ate out for the next two evenings.
The bar is available for residents and although not manned, as such, the staff were pretty prompt at getting you what you required to drink.
Having been born in the area I can relate to the Northern sense of humour and the staff reciprocated which made the stay enjoyable.
I have stayed in more superior hotels and have come away disappointed whereas at the Claxton it was a pleasurable experience, a little rough round the edges ,but for the price no room for complaint.

Another bonus : Pets are catered for.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
6 Thank teenager65
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redcar
Brockley Hall Hotel
#3 of 5 in Saltburn-by-the-Sea
The Marine Hotel
The Marine Hotel
#6 of 9 in Hartlepool

Been to Claxton Hotel? Share your experiences!