Claxton Hotel
Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
Baltimore Hotel(Middlesbrough)
US$71
No availability for your dates from our partners
Brockley Hall Hotel(Saltburn-by-the-Sea)
The Spa Hotel(Saltburn-by-the-Sea)
  • Beachfront
Hunley Hotel and Golf Club(Saltburn-by-the-Sea)
TripAdvisor
All reviewssea viewvalue for moneyhigh streetwedding receptionsea frontlovely hotelstaff were brilliantshower cubiclebooked this hotelfamily run hotelset us up for the dayeaster weekendluxury roomwithin easy walking distancenext morningfull englishnice breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 August 2013

The hotel is a little dated so not trendy, But if you want a good old fashioned seeside hotel this is the one for you.

The place is spotless.........you'd be hard pushed to find any dust or dirt. The staff are not just friendly but helpful. They all go above and beyond the call of duty.

The breakfast is fabulous, they don't just bring you a place, they ask you exactly what you want on your plate and your preference for how you like you eggs etc.

I cannot fault the place. We had a great few days.

Room Tip: there isn't a lift, so if you have trouble with stairs ask for a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sh8r0n
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My neice held her wedding reception here , so my husband and I booked in for 2 nights.We were lucky enough to have a sea view and as last minute decision to look after her 2 young children the night of the wedding, the staff all of who were efficient and friendly and the mananger went above and beyond the call of duty to enable us to do so with ease.The reception and buffet were lovely and we found the room and hotel spotlessly clean, breakfast of very high standard all for an extremely reasonable cost and would reccomend staying to explore Redcar and the surrounding area.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view if possible
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The hotel was well located at the junction of the high Street and the promenade. The check-in was a bit haphazard as there was no reception desk as such. Everything was done in the hallway at the bottom of the stairs. For all that the staff couldn't have been more helpful and were very friendly.
Having spoken to some of the other guests, I get the impression that the standard of the rooms vary considerably. Unfortunately we drew the short straw. The room itself was just about big enough but there was little furniture to take up the limited space. There was no wardrobe, just a hanging rail to one side of the two single beds pushed together to make a double. We had a smallish window overlooking the car park and the local car wash.
The bathroom was tiny, Just wide enough to get a small shower tray in and a quarter size sink. (No Bath). The decor was a bit dated, white painted woodchip throughout but it was spotlessly clean.
The full English breakfast was excellent. All freshly cooked to order with no skimping on the portions. Actually one of the best I've had in this class of Hotel. The cereal selection was limited and there was no fruit on offer (There was fresh orange juice)
We didn't make much use of the public areas other than to have a couple of drinks in the bar. The prices where very good. There was no evening entertainment during our stay.
There was one really nice touch. I ordered some flowers for our arrival as it was our Anniversary on the Sunday. After a bit of a false start they did arrive on the Sunday and the Hotel gave us a bottle of Champagne, delivered to the room with the flowers.
I've stayed in plenty of budget hotels of this type, and although this review may sound a bit scathing, The Claxton is pretty good, you just need to get the right room. Pay a bit extra for a family room with a Sea view and you won't go far wrong.
I doubt that we will return but that is no reflection on the hotel. We just found Redcar to be a strange resort. It would only be to attend the horse racing.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a family room with sea views
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nicho54
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Very pleased with my stay at the Claxton. The room was clean and well appointed and the bathroom was nice. The menu looked good, although I didn't eat, and breakfast was served from 7am, even on a Sunday.

The room was quiet and I slept very well. However, I wasn't aware that they move boats from the yard behind by tractor early in the morning, which woke me up, but that wasn't the hotel's fault.

The price was incredibly reasonable and I'd happily stay there again if ever I need to be in the area.

Room Tip: If you're at the side of the hotel facing the boats, you'll need to keep the window closed if you don't want an early morning wake-up.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank dkgy
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Would like to give very good but let down was the size of the room a double bed in what i would say was a single room, The on-suit bathroom was great small but a nice and very clean shower and toilet one little let down was only 2 normal size bath towels with no bath sheets or flannels, The staff ?? Bravo to them all well done team and the breakfast was fantastic cooked fresh,Good location as well, if i was to stop longer than 2 nights would want a bigger room .

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple