“wonderful room 1”

Ranked #2 of 10 Redcar B&B and Inns
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“wonderful room 1”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My wife and I just had to leave a review of our wonderful stay at the Claxton Hotel on 29th March 2014, their recently refurbished luxury room was outstanding. Providing the most comfortable bed, fantastic sea view, and deep new carpet and attractive furnishings. The massive jacuzzi bathroom was a added delight. We had a fantastic break and cannot recommend the room, breakfast, evening meal customer service, and price highly enough. We will definitely visit again.

Room Tip: for a special treat chose room 1 with sea views and luxury furniture and bathroom
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tony b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I was after a clean & cheap B&B. I got what I asked for.

Despite arriving at about 6p.m, the reception was locked up, and possibly used for storage. I called out & a staff member quickly appeared. My booking was promptly located, & I was given a key. No one but helped me with my bags. I know it sounds unreasonable, but I am by myself with a seven year old child.
I enquired about evening meals. The hotel is a local wedding venue, as a wedding reception was being held that evening, I was offered the pie & chips special. We relocated to a local pub - & that was an experience in itself.

The tiny, en suite, twin bedroom, was spotless. The pillows were flat as pancakes. Initially there were non spare, because the place was full of wedding guests. On my request, I was provided with another pillow, the morning after the "do".

During the night, you could v.faintly hear the music from downstairs.It wasn`t a problem, it didn,t disturb me or my little girl.

There is a TV in each room. I,d brought my daughters DVD player for the car., I spotted I could use them in the room. The staff were unaware that the TV in the room had a built in DVD player.

The ensuite was also clean. Nice towels were hung up for us to use. There was a W.C & sink in a seperate space. The towel rail fell off every time we even looked at it. The shower cubicle was located in a cupboard space, in the bedroom.

The breakfast was fab. My daughter loved the buffet set up, as well as the cooked options. I was glad that there was lots of tea /coffee available.

From the dining room you can see the beach. It is directly over the road, has plenty of rock pools to clamber over, and lots of fossils to see. Check the tide times in the paper or online. It is not displayed in the hotel, there was no information on local things to do or places to see.

The staff were v.patient & laid back. If you managed to squeeze your car into the car park at rear of hotel, they`d direct you striaght through the kitchen to get back into the building, (even if they were preparing the buffet for that evening), it saved you walking outside.

We ate in the hotel on the Saturday eve, the bar was booked as a private function, hotel guests ate in the breakfast room. My daughter & I were the only ones there. We ordered battered cod, chips & peas......Mum had definately been to Iceland that day. It was straight from the freezer! My daughter was shattered, & since we were the only ones eating that night, the staff put the T.V on whilst we ate. It was a bit like being at home, except I don,t have to wait so long for my wine glass to be topped up. I had ordered a bottle, but it never appeared.

During the day time we climbed the beacon (food is lovely in the cafe there), played in the nearby splash zone, ate ice cream, and wandered around the shops. Whilst the tide was out we were messing about on the beach. My daughter managed to bring most of it back into our room. I apologised to the staff but thankfully she was unconcerned. She said they were used too it as the beach is only over the road.

When it came to check out time, the staff had all disappeared. Having loaded up my car I waited in the entrance hall for another ten minutes. In the end I put the room key through the reception shutters.

I needed a v.cheap B&B and I got one.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JANE R
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Started by asking via email after booking if sea view was possible quick reply to say this had been done. Arrived early parked in hotel car park at rear and asked if we could leave our luggage to be told no problem we could have our room, and what a view over the North Sea and Redcar seafront
Hotel is at the south end of High street which is where the shops and bars are bus station is approx 200 yrds away
As others have said breakfast is really good and piping hot. Staff very helpful and polite so thanks very much to them.Room large clean and warm a godsend in January. Will have no hesitation in staying here again when in region

Room Tip: We had room 6 which had double and a single bed with wonderful sea view even though we booked twin
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Whitby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed one night in this hotel in a room with a double bed en-suite and TV. The room was warm and very comfortable and it was very clean.
The staff were friendly and gave me all the information requested. The breakfast was superb. I had the full English with toast and coffee. The food was hot and well cooked. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the property have a sea view. My room was at the back and was very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
middlesbrough
Reviewed 21 November 2013

On the 20th of November around 7:00pm. I went to the Claxton in Redcar after a nice chat with some bar ladies at the livery, telling me that the closest hotel nearby that was good was the Claxton. I went in and was welcomed by the people who owned the Claxton, well people is not the best word to say here but rather a family, infact the first thought I had when I saw the hotel was that the Claxton not a hotel at all but rather a family home which is the type of atmosphere the hotel is going for that is refreshing for me because they talk to you like a normal guest and not *do you need anything sir* sir! sir!. Sir/Mrs/miss work best in expensive hotels that houses posh celebrities or the rich class. The Claxton however is a cut above the rest in terms of stuff because they respond to all you need, like a young lady giving me extra time in one of the rooms, and like a
said it's more of a family rather then a bunch of
workers that are paid regardless of how bad the services are.

The rooms themselves are nice. You get free towels, a bathroom with a shower. A heater you plug in incase the room get cold (you will get cold a lot without the heater) a kettle for making tea or coffee with water already in the kettle. And a small tv that I did not watch, but I did try to see lf the tv works and it does work. The claxton also has coat hangers and shelves.

Food wise I had in the hotel salad and a double cheese burger with chips with one diet coke with ice, It all cost £5.00 so great value for food, with the food being filling and tastefully, the Claxton also does morning breakfast with a tv in the bar area which is a nice way to wake up in the morning

The room I got was a single
bedroom so £33.00 for me alone and there are a lot of family deals that make the stay worth your time.

I had one nights stay and lf you want to have a relaxing stay at redcar, choose this hotel, it's worth your time

The price for me was £30.00 with many others deal that

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank philrcocker
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel for three days and found the staff were friendly and welcoming nothing was too much trouble. There is not a lot of parking outside the hotel and as the hotel is used by contractors the limited parking at the rear can be a bit trickly getting out if you want to leave early in the morning. As the parking at the front of the hotel is for residents only the hotel will provide you with a parking permit for a £10 deposit. I managed to park on 2 out of 3 nights outside the hotel.

The room we had was number 6 it has a sea view which is very pleasent and the room itself is very large and plenty of storage space. The only downside is the room light is very dim (the bathroom light gave off better light).

The bathroom is very small and as previously stated by others the shower cubicle is very small. The sink seems to big for the space and blocks most of the space.

The breakfast is plentiful with cereal, toast, fresh coffee, tea, orange juicse and full cooked breakfast (2 eggs, 2 rashers of bacon, 1 sausgae, fried breast, hash browns, beans and tomatoes).

We had an evening meal at the hotel during our stay and the meal was very good value for money.

The town centre is within walking distance and weatherspoons is about 500 metres down the road from the hotel.

All in all I would say this hotel is cheap and cheerful. I would certainly stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank fiona B
county durham
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Excellent little hotel. Reasonably priced with a full English breakfast. Staff very friendly. It's actually quite a big place it's very misleading from the outside.
The only "gripe" I have is the bathroom is so very small and the door needed to be left open so could brush your teeth or wash your hands at the basin but it was very clean and was ok for the length of time we stayed there.
Would definitely recommend and Redcar has a nice little town as well which the hotel is next to. got some reasonably priced shops. Would definitely go back.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redcar
Brockley Hall Hotel
Gisborough Hall Hotel
Gisborough Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Guisborough
Premier Inn Middlesbrough Central South Hotel

Been to Claxton Hotel? Share your experiences!