“Absolutely Brilliant !”
Review of Grewgrass Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Redcar
Grewgrass Lodge
Glossop, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Brilliant !”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Myself, my Wife and our 2 year old daughter have just returned from a weeks stay in one of Dave and Christine's two Lodges. We needed a relaxing base within a quick travelling distance of Middlesbrough whilst also being convenient for Redcar, Saltburn , Whitby and Scarborough for family days out. We all love nature and wildlife, and from the very first time we drove up the drive, we new we wouldn't be disappointed ! Wild Partridges, Pheasants, Rabbits and Hares were immediately spotted, and as we entered the site itself, we were greeted by very friendly Chickens, Geese, Ducks and two beautiful ponies, along with the most hilarious and entertaining Indian Runner Ducks. Within minutes of meeting Dave and Christine, we new that we would hit it off with them straight away. We discovered that most of the animals and birds had been previously rescued by Dave and Christine (a subject close to our hearts), and Grewgrass could not be a more fantastic place for them to have ended up at ! The Lodge itself was spotlessly clean and very comfortable and welcoming. Eggs, milk, bread and biscuits were provided in the lodge on arrival, along with loads of towels and extra bedding etc. For people who want peace and quiet in an idyllic and beautiful nature filled setting, we simply could not recommend this highly enough. Also make sure that you try some of Dave's gourmet scotch eggs. They are amazing, trust us !! We definitely hope to visit again as soon as possible.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Col R

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Pembroke Dock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I have been away working in Redcar for the last 6 weeks and was fortunate to stumble across this hidden treasure. The lodges are hidden away and are surrounded by wildlife, the ducks are particularly amusing. Christine and David are lovely landlords and a good source of information on the local area. Dave's scotch eggs are a must try. I highly recommend anyone "thinking about" stopping here to book now!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank CarlMorgan
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We have just returned from spending a week at Grewgrass Lodge, it was a very pleasant stay, ideal base for getting out and exploring the Yorkshire coastline or just chilling out.
We found everything we needed in the lodge, a big thank you to Dave and Christine who are so friendly and helpful.
Ps the scotch eggs Dave makes are lovely you really need to try them while you are there.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed here while visiting family in the area. Well priced, relaxing accommodation with the added joy of sharing it with well cared for rescued creatures. Christine and David were prepared to go the extra mile to ensure we enjoyed our stay and the eggs are fantastic!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

WHAT A PLACE !!!!!!!!! Me and my partner spend 7 days at Grewgrass. When we turned up, we was greeted with a lovely welcome from Christine and David. We were then showed into our lodge and was amazed at the space there was. It was exceptionaly clean, warm and well equipped. They also left us a welcome pack, which included milk, bread, buscuits, tea, coffee and numerous other thngs. We couldnt believe how relaxing and peaceful it was you had the chickens and ducks doing there thing all day. We spent most of our time fishing, as it was so relaxing with the surroundings. The quality of the fish are fin perfect. We also visited the farmers market on the Saturday were Christine and David also take there scotch eggs, fresh eggs, pickled eggs and pickled onions. When it came to leaving neither of us wanted to go as it was so lovely. Christine and David could not do enough for us while we were there and they are very helpful for things to do in the surounding towns, We will definatly be coming back in the near future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Redcar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

we have just spent 5 weeks in a lodge at Grew grass after being flooded out of our bungalow. Having spent 2 weeks in various hotels it was so good to have a home from home to enable us to chill out after all the stress.This peaceful little haven is just 300 yards as the crow flies from where we live and we never knew it existed, husband enjoyed fishing in the pond,I enjoyed all the wild life and other animals especially cheeky chicken who became like a pet. Owners Dave and Chris are very friendly and obliging. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to visit this area.
Anita A.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed at Grewgrass Lodges from Aug 24th to Sept 7th, 2013. Here is my review

Location – excellent, the site is right off the roundabout on Grewgrass Lane and gives easy access to all the roads into Redcar, Marske and Saltburn and the A174 to Middlesbrough. You do need to have transport as it is about half a mile from the nearest bus stop with several very busy intersections to cross and the graveled path into the site to negotiate.

The site is set in the heart of farmland and has trees surrounding it plus a pond, so for a wild life lover like me, it was ideal. I thoroughly enjoyed sitting with the French doors open, listening to the birds singing all around me.

The hosts keep chickens, geese and ducks and these are allowed the run of the site during the day. Highly entertaining but sometimes they leave a “calling card”. I cleared quite a few messes and we had to discourage the birds from coming on the deck and into the lounge when the doors were open. If you don’t feed them, they do stay away after a few days. We also thoroughly enjoyed free range eggs for breakfast and the Scotch Eggs sold by the host (some of the best I have tasted!)

My only comment on the downside about the location is that you need to remember that this site is in the heart of farmland. We had several days where the local farmer was harvesting, this caused dust, noise and vibration and then was followed by the muck spreader. Fortunately, we had heavy rain the next day so smell was not a problem for us. I doubt very much that this would cause any major problems for anyone unless you are a townie and were not expecting it.

The hosts, David and Christine were wonderful. Nothing is too much trouble for this couple, and Christine very kindly provided a small welcome pack (free of charge) with basics such as milk, fresh free range eggs, teabags, bread and biscuits. Every request made to them was met quickly and all our problems were solved straight away.

The name Grewgrass Lodges is a bit deceiving, I was expecting a wooden built lodge but quickly realised that it was a static caravan with wood cladding – not a problem. The interior was clean although we did keep finding animal hairs from previous occupants and a few squatters (spiders) were relocated outside. The furnishings are worn but comfortable, the double bed was very comfy and I missed it when I moved onto my next location. The kitchen was well equipped and anything that was missing could be requested from the owners. The shower was great, good pressure for England and unlimited hot water.

On the downside, the accommodation is showing signs of age and would benefit from a little attention, all minor things such as grouting/sealant in the shower and sealant around the sink. Our lodge did have a list towards the rear so that the back bedroom door did not close and in the kitchen, the grill pan would slide to the back of the oven when we used it.

We did have a few cooler days with temperatures around 10C, the gas fire in the lounge is very good for warming but the bedrooms were cold even with the electric heaters on. This may be a problem for anyone planning to stay in the winter months. Plenty of blankets and hot water bottles are available so the main issue would be getting undressed and into bed.

We did experience a few problems with the TV, the signal was intermittent at times and we never managed to get logged on to the wifi in the lodge, fortunately for me, my son was staying with me and he set up his phone as a “hot spot” so this solved the problem for us. Internet is a “must have” for me wherever I stay.

I would recommend Grewgrass Lodges as a place to stay, I have not done any research on comparable costs but felt the price I paid for my stay was reasonable for what I received. My Son and I both enjoyed our stay there and expect to go back again soon.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redcar
Cross Keys By Good Night Inns
Edwardian house Bed and Breakfast
Claxton Hotel
Claxton Hotel
#2 of 10 in Redcar

Been to Grewgrass Lodge? Share your experiences!