“Excellent”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: 01642482900
Reviewed 19 February 2014

1st time visitors, pleasantly surprised. Food choice the best, portion size, quality, and value for money. We will be back

2  Thank Kath O

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Its a decent enough place, but i've often gone in and found one of the young members of the team having an issue with another in front of customers. However, as it doesn't involve me I kind of let it go over my head... but one couple did walk out at this point.

Anyway, its the food that we're talking about here.... the gammon is decent, bacon is proper (not re-heated) but most importantly is the chips. Real hardcore home-made chips is a major player when I decide where to eat. All too often we're faced with frozen run-of-the-mill chips in cafes, restaurants and pubs and it grates on me. Finally a place who goes that extra mile and for that they should be rewarded and supported.

As for the rest of the menu, we've not gone past the gammon on the breakfasts (yet!).

Lastly, its small and seemingly gets busy at lunch hour. However, I've gone in at around 2.30pm (two/three times!) and been told the cookers are now turned off and I can't have a cooked meal. Because of this i've had to settle for a morrissons cafe special and that's bottom-of-the-barrel stuff and somehow gets an undeserved mention on this review.

claire g, Owner at Sophellie's Eatery, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Hi I am pleased you enjoy coming to our café and love the chips ..I am saddened to hear about my staff as I am very big on customer service and treat everyone as friends... Also not happy with hearing that they stop serving hot food at 2.30pm as 3pm is our cut off point so we can get cleaned down etc.
I can promise you i will be looking into these things you have highlighted and i can guarantee it will not happen again .hope you continue using us . Could you please email me on sophellies@btconnect.com with any staff details you can so i can pin point ..ie: hair colour etc
many thanks
claire

Reviewed 8 January 2014

It's a really friendly place, that has great value food that's fab quality. My husband & I ear here just about every Saturday for lunch, it's our weekend treat, they do the best vegetarian breakfast around.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We often eat at Kirkleatham Museum and when the cafe there was run by "Lillies", the food and staff were excellent, the place was spotlessly clean, delicious food and good service. Since Sophellies took over we've been once, never again! The coffee was tastless, like dishwater, I had a toastie which was dripping in grease and was was served with what they called a green salad, it was a bit of cress, lettuce & a slice of tomato. Hubby had a Corned Beef pie, huge portion but he said it was tasteless. The staff were brusque and offhand and the tables were dirty. Never again!!!!

1  Thank chezan
claire g, Owner at Sophellie's Eatery, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Sorry to here you didnt enjoy your visit with us ,but i can assure you our customer service is very good and myself and my husband are always on the premises to see that.Were any of these issues brought to staff attention on the day and if not why?
If things were that bad as you say surely when spending money to eat out you would want satisfaction.You seem to have a few issues raised wrong as we dont use cress on our salad and it is very hard to make a toastie swim with grease as no way would something like that ever leave our kitchen.Surely you would of brought it back. We have been in business nearly 3yr and majority of feedback is good. But you cant please everyone. We invite you to come in and discuss with us look forward to hearing your reply.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

At the moment I’m working near Sophellies, but have only used it on a couple of occasions (they do a mean bacon, sausage and egg sandwich by the way…!) I sometimes go out for dinner after work with my colleagues so we decided to take advantage of the early Christmas Fayre and book 8 of us in for 5.30 mid-week. There’s a choice of 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 desserts: 3 courses for £17…plus, they let you take your own wine :) Never a bad thing.

I had the prosciutto, asparagus and mozzarella parcels to start – really tasty. The smoked salmon with prawns also looked really nice, but I wished I’d ordered the cauliflower fritters as they looked lovely. For mains, we all bar one had the traditional turkey – plenty lean meat served with sausages in bacon, homemade stuffing, roast and mashed potatoes, carrots, peas, roast parsnips and sprout gratin with plenty jugs of extra gravy. The quality was very good and the portions were huge – so much so that most of us struggled to finish. For dessert, we all opted for the Baileys cheesecake – again, homemade and really generous slices. Coffee/tea and sweets were served after all this. It was really quiet, they’d decked the whole café out with tea-lights and there was a real festive atmosphere. Service was excellent and for £17 a head we all agreed it was very good value for money.

I’ve noticed this place gets absolutely packed on a lunchtime, even though there’s a wide choice of similar places to eat in Redcar. They have loads of choice on their menu which is constantly changing and everything is homemade. They also do really good flapjacks…! Would happily recommend.

2  Thank suzHartlepool