“Nice surprise”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Warrenpoint
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Nice surprise”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Spent an overnight here to get away from the city. Easily located on the sea front with 5 min walk to centre of town and harbour. Lovely views.
This was a 3 star hotel but a very good one and I have stayed in 4 stars hotels worse than this place. Check in was good and friendly. I was a little early and room was not ready but they gave me a complimentary drink while I waited. Room was very spacious and one of the most spacious I have stayed in in a while. Bathroom was clean and large though a bit confused with the two shower heads. Could not work out how to get the main one on but was only there for one night. Room had everything you required but no tea/coffee facilities. Restaurant was good with great views over the coast. Food was basic but very good and plenty of it. Service and staff very good and friendly. Their is a bar downstairs and a bistro but did not use the bistro. Breakfast was good but only one littleissue.I asked for scrambled eggs on toast. They gave me scrambled aggs then told me to make my own toast. Eggs were cold by time toast done. Bed was large and comfortable. Would go back again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
whistledownhotel, Manager at The Whistledown Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Lots of lovely compliments in your five star review. All guest rooms do have Tea/Coffee making facilities which are located in the top drawer, details of this is noted in the Guest Information Book provided. We did have a new member of staff on breakfast duty and apologies; scrambled egg should have been served on the toast. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Lovely decor but food and service were below standard I would expect . Had a meal there with my family and was not impressed with the food or the service.
Pizza tasted like it had been frozen ,ordered chips which we didn't get,no one came to ask us if everything was ok .Ordered drinks which we also didn't get and children's desserts were barely visible as they were so small !
Would have been nice to at least have had an apology!
Will not be back!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Edimusic
whistledownhotel, Owner at The Whistledown Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for your review.
I am disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your recent visit with us. I can assure you that all of our pizzas are cooked fresh to order using only the freshest of ingredients and all customers can freely view this process through our open kitchen.
We are frequently complimented on our generous portions including the children’s menu but there is a marked difference between an adult sweet and a child’s sweet and this is reflected in the price.
Our staff are normally extremely attentive and as the details in your review are a little vague, I would be obliged if you would provide the date and time of your visit in order that I can investigate the complaint further as we have not been alerted to any complaint in recent days. Alternatively you are welcome to contact us directly at your convenience.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Thankfully only had to stay one night on business. The staff were pleasant but that's as good as it got. My room window faced a brick wall, warm night opened window to be kept awake until the early hours by the toilet hand driers below. Water on the floor from leaking toilet in the morning, shabby as sink levelled with a piece of wood, not hot water for a shower - when checking out I was told there was a power cut the day before so hence no hot water! And the bar, I have never seen so many flies, no fly zap in sight! Emergency light fitting hanging down, lack of pride I am afraid. The bar restaurant adjacent was good, the food was excellent, but that's it. Very disappointed to say the least.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Martin B
Thank you for your review.
I am sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay but am pleased to note that you found the food excellent and staff pleasant. We were fully booked on the night you stayed therefore you were allocated the last available room at an attractive corporate rate.
I would have preferred if your concerns had been aired at the time of your stay which would have given us an opportunity to resolve the situation. Perhaps you would like to contact us directly to discuss your complaint further.
Reviewed 22 June 2014

As soon as me and my husband got engaged 3years ago we decided to make our choice to have our wedding venue local as we new the hotel well over the years and could never fault any aspect of it! As soon as we booked as usual we received first class treatment when dining,drinking and dancing. We always loved coming and the staff have always made us feel special well looked after. Even on my hen weekend before leaving on the bus the management decided to give us champagne and glasses for the road! On the few weeks pior I thought I would have been stressed in fact I couldn't believe how little I had to do or think about the staff and wedding coordinators took care of everything! On the day we where made feel so special and everything was just perfect from timings,music,decorations and a beautiful gift we received from the hotel. The staff went way above all expectations the service was first class the entire meal was delicious and hot!! Difficult usually to get a gorgeous dinner at a wedding it wasn't for this hotel! The honeymoon suite was AMAZING we even had our names on the champagne fresh platter of fruit, rose petals and a view to die for, we had the best breakfast over looking the lough whilst in our suite!! I can't thank them enough for how fabulous they are to us on our big day we are truly a blessed we made the right choice !!

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Jenmccormack1
whistledownhotel, General Manager at The Whistledown Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Jenny,

Thank you for your wonderful compliments. It was an absolute pleasure to look after you both on your very special day. Wedding celebrations are very special here and the entire team are dedicated to delivering a fairy-tale wedding experience. We very much appreciate you sharing your experience as it gives others an insight into the 'Whistledown's Boutique Wedding
Excellence'.
Best Regards
Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed in the hotel for two nights. The staff were wonderful and very helpful. Our room was comfortable but was noisy from the street traffic. We enjoyed the wonderful views out to sea at meal times. We did not have the sea views from our room. The food in the hotel is excellent breakfast, lunch and dinner and the dining room staff were the best that we have experienced in a long time. They were excellent when I required food urgently due to being a diabetic and I must say they handled any dietary problem extremely well. We enjoyed the nooks and crannies in the hotel. We certainly would stay there again but I would book earlier and get a quiet room with a sea view.

Room Tip: A room with a sea view. Not one on the street side.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CATHERINEc166
Dear Guest,

We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Whistledown. Thank you for your review.
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

What a hidden gem Warrenpoint is. For me,time has stood still, it was just lovely to be in a small town,which was buzzing and there were no chain stores,coffee shops and there is the wonderful gem of The Whistledown Hotel.
Our room was at the front with the most wonderful view, Northern Ireland on our left, the South on our right. Huge bed, lovely cotton sheets and all you expect these days. Yes, it could do with updating,but it is excellent value for money.
The staff are simply superb, so friendly and just lovely.
The breakfast was scrummy, lots of everything and huge time slot, 7-10am !! My only niggle was my bread was fresh from the freezer!!!
Cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sherlynn2406
Dear Guest,

We are really pleased with your 5 star review. Our bread is delivered daily from a local Home Bakery and we did have a late delivery one day that week, apologies. We do hope will visit again.
Letterkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 23 May 2014

The hotel is bases in Warrenpoint Co. Down. It is across the road from the sea and some beautiful views. The food in the hotel is great and the rooms are quite nice. I have stayed here several times now and would be happy to return. Its a pity the hotel couldn't control the weather! :)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Peter M
Dear Guest,

The hotel is beautifully situated and we have been very lucky with the weather so far. Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great review. We hope to see you again soon.

Best regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warrenpoint
Carrickdale Hotel
Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk
Donard Hotel
Donard Hotel
#5 of 16 in Newcastle

Been to The Whistledown Hotel? Share your experiences!