“Good stay”

Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Cat Ba
Toronto, Canada
“Good stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2009

I stayed at Cat Ba Resort just for one night as it was part of my Halong Bay package...The stay was comfortable though too short...It was peaceful at the time when we went, with just a few Vietnamese and Korean tourists. The staff was helpful and upgraded us (i went with a friend) to a better room. The room was clean and quiet, the view was good. The hotel has two outdoor pools. One is right by the hotel, and the other one is close to the beach and restaurant. Everything was good, except the following. I didn't like that the beach on the side of the resort is shared with locals. Also the staff at the restaurant weren't too attentive...had to wait for my dessert for over 20 minutes...dinner wasn't too great either, but buffet breakfast was good. Lots of things to choose from...Overall, satisfied with my stay.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank shate

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Vietnamese first
Moscow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2009

I wish to warn travellers against placing in this hotel. We with the wife yet did not meet the worst hotel. Full desolation of numbers, walls and furniture beaten, the musty smell, the broken away tiles of bathrooms. The disgusting cleaning, the broken paths, dirty pool. To waterslides to approach сташно because of their condition. Own beach is not present, a beach the general, in the evenings and on days off on it a lot of local having a rest, a condition corresponding. We reserved this hotel for a week with a full advance payment, having bought in a photo, were very much and are very disappointed having arrived into place. So that despite loss of money (the advance payment does not come back) the next day have passed in Sunrise. We are very upset by the spoilt impression of all trip this hotel! Photos did not do, it would be desirable to leave and forget this hotel faster!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Cat Ba hotels

Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2009

I stayed here for one night and wished I could have stayed longer. The pool and beach are lovely. The beach got busy with locals in the early evening, but was deserted during the day. The staff were very professional and friendly. The food is ok - not great. The room was clean and comfortable. The Thai massage at the spa is to die for. A great place to relax and get away from the craziness of Hanoi for a few days. I would love to go back to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank SingleMindedExplorer
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2009

I have never been made to feel so unwelcome at a hotel. This one seems to cater to the hoards of Asian tourists that flock here during the summer months, and to almost dislike Westerners.

My husband and I went running along the beach and the security guard refused to let us back into the hotel even after we showed him our hotel keycard. Another of the staff members shooed us away when we went to use the hotel internet. And the duty manager rudely stopped us while playing ping pong to tell us we needed to pay the $3 charge for non-hotel guests. I understand that hotels require an element of security, but the fact that no one even asked us whether we were actually staying at the hotel before rudely telling us to leave or pay up was annoying. (Let me be clear that we are very normal looking people who have never had any bad experiences like this anywhere else.)

Other major issues we had with this hotel: construction noise started at 7.50am one morning and continued throughout the weekend, the food was terrible (breakfast was the worst with nothing fresh; the warm food was cold and the cold drinks were warm), the room was very noisy and you could hear people in the lobby even from a 3rd floor room, and the complimentary cocktails we were given to placate us were the size of shots.

Don't come to this hotel if you are looking for a relaxing retreat!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GS13579
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2009

I loved this place. The room was very nice, the view was fabulous. The food at the restaurant was good, though not great.

Stayed January 2009
Hanoi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2008

It grieves me to give this place one star at all!!! the trip in itself was OK - though a few things at the hotel were not good - such as:
2 live cockroaches sharing my room
No hot water till the end of the first day - then it was luke warm never hot
over 1 1/2 hours to serve our whole party lunch with things at the last minute having to be reordered as they had run out - we were 20 people (not that many for a 4 * resort surely!!!)
I was treated with contempt when I asked for fresht tea with my breakfast instead of stewed from an urn.

My main complaint is one of health and safety and after service:
My son injured his knee on a missing tile area with sharp edges immediately under one of the small slides.
Not long after we started using the pool the large slides were closed as the matts were in such disrepair they were deemed unsafe!! so using the remaining small slides ended up in 5 injuries to our party in a matter of minutes - each person landing on the untiled area.
Incidentally the slides were the main attraction for the children and of 5 there were ultimately only 2 small ones available for use

My son had to wait till Sunday to see a doctor though immediate treatment / assistance would have meant he could have stitches. When informed the management offered no assistance, comment or reaction - not even a band aid - this injury bled on and off for the next 24 hours.
I have complained to Mr. Clement Chin the manager - his reply was I'm too far away now on CatBa to do anything
He directed me to Jane the sales executive in Hanoi - I have repeatedly called her and emailed a whole story to be lied to and given major run around - now I have given up on recouping the doctors bill ($95), which was my only request - so here is my final say on the matter

This organisation is disgraceful and could not care one iota about their customers in any sense - from the booking office to the resort staff - WOULD YOU REALLY WANT TO STAY THERE????

• Liked — very little
  • Disliked — the attitude of the staff
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2008

Lovely hotel in peaceful loaction. 10/15 min walk from Cat Ba town.

Friendly staff.

Poolside food horrible.

Cat Ba town not so nice.

Lovely pool and beach.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank CiaraO'R