“Unexpectedly cancelled my trip and stopped responding to emails”

Blue Swimmer Adventures
Ranked #10 of 44 Tours in Cat Ba
More attraction details
Owner description: we at Blue Swimmer Adventure decided to pursue low-impact eco-tourism to try and do our bit to keep the island’s very special purity as long as possible by offering more green outdoor activities for nature lovers from around the world.
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I had intermittent email correspondence in October 2013 regarding my trip in November. While they were never very quick to answer, we at least got the details of my 3d/2n trip set up, and I paid my $150 deposit using a bank transfer. Then, 2 weeks before my trip, my deposit was unexpectedly returned by Western Union. Blue Swimmer then neglected to answer my 6 additional emails to explain what had happened. My trip already came and went, but I still never heard back from them. Horrible service, what a joke.

4  Thank Matt S
Kennyguide, Manager at Blue Swimmer Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Dear Matt,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for your contribution in helping us improving the quality of our service and operation. We would like to clarify that, the reason we were forced to cancel your booking was that the other party stopped responding to us; meanwhile, we were unable to find any person who could potentially share the trip with you as well. The decision did come a tad too late but we still tried our best to offer you some of the other offers, albeit unsuccessfully. We complete understood your refusal and hoped that you had had an enjoyable experience with other businesses.

Regarding the deposit, although we did agree on the transfer of $150 deposit, we did also suggest clearly that only either direct cash deposit or wired bank transfer is viable, as opposed to the different method via Western Union - we do not operate via this medium. We also wish to apologise for not responding to your two additional emails (as opposed to six) as in the meantime, we were looking forward to the potential travelling partner's response. When we had decided that he was no longer interested in sharing the trip with you, it was late for us to have another arrangement and we are deeply regretful of that.

Nevertheless, we would like to extend our apology for this episode of miscommunication and hope you had had a memorable time in Vietnam, as well as best of luck in your future endeavours.

Thank you and have a good year ahead.

Blue Swimmer Adventure

"days nights"
"his life"
"own pace"

Reviewed 3 July 2013

Being overwhelmed by CatBa we rode to Beo Bay and found Blueswimmer Adventures. Henry the manager was extremely polite and helpful. He arranged a day trip for us that included our own guide, chef and skipper on a traditional fishing junk. We travelled through Lan Ha bay to Halong bay were we swam and kayaked through caves etc, to return to the junk for a six course lunch! The food was superb, and the crew happy and gracious. Our guide Bing was very helpful and we enjoyed his company. For a cost of $85 each for 8 hours we found this trip excellent value for the money!! Thank you Blueswimmer Adventures, we shall recommend you to all, Dave & Anna.

1  Thank Dando40
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

We paid 43$ each to kayak all day with a guide and have a seafood lunch at their base camp. No drinks included. No snorkelling. No boat ride available if you hate the idea of getting back in a kayak because it hurts from doing it for so long.

We wanted a combination kayak/sailing day but ended up with a full day kayaking tour somehow through miscommunication. Everything was told to us verbally, we never saw a written description of our tour which would have been helpful and avoided surprises. I am 30 years old and after 3 hours my hands and shoulders hurt so bad it took away any pleasure the scenery could offer. I was told we were '5 minutes' away but it was a half an hour before we reached the camp. After lunch there was no option to view the area by boat. We either kayaked again or we stayed on shore until our boat came back to pick us up in a few hours. We ended up talking the guide into borrowing a double kayak for us to share the load of paddling for the afternoon, which helped.

'Seafood lunch' gave us each 2 bbq'd shrimp that were cold while a larger group got whole fish. To eat we were sat along a sidewalk with minimal beach view while the big group had the half empty deck. Overall I feel we paid prime money for a budget trip. The guide was nice and it was just 2 of us with him, which we enjoyed. But looking back I'd rather have options available. After booking we saw a better tour at our hostel (longer with more options and variety - kayak + snorkel in am, boat cruise until sunset) for half the price! Shop around people! I thought we did but clearly we aren't very good at it!

We had chose Blue Swimmer because their values appealed to us. After reading of all the distruction at Halong we didn't want to contribute to the same happening at Cat Ba. So it was a surprise that our tour ended up going with a gas engine boat that dropped us off and returned later to pick us up. And we saw lots of litter. Shoes, bottles, wrappers... We were told it's from the people that live on the water all around the bay.

3  Thank Tlass
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We were quite nervous about a trip to Halong Bay and picked Blue Swimmer as they seemed to offer a personal service with emphasis on getting off the beaten track and being active. The whole trip exceeded our expectations. The group ended up being just us, a family of four, spending a night on a very well kitted-out two-room junk in Cat Ba Bay. All travel arrangements from pick up in Hanoi to transfer to Cat Ba and back again worked very smoothly. On the first day we had a magical kayaking experience, following our guide through pitch-black tunnels into secret lagoons and exploring hidden bays. Hardly saw any other tourists and enjoyed the same stunning scenery that you get in the more crowded Halong Bay. After a night on the junk, we went cycling through Cat Ba national park - great fun again. Highly recommended and definitely thumbs up to going to Cat Ba.

2  Thank 932JoziLondon