“Quiet, clean, very cozy”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Omapere
Globetrekkers Lodge
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I started my drive down the west coast in Opononi but wanted to stay in Omapere. Not like the two are really far from each other ... I stayed in a dorm, but was alone because it's off-season and quiet at the moment. I slept a wonderful sleep - the hostel is at the top of a hill and is ever so quiet. The dorm I was in was a mixture of bunk beds and twins, which made it nice and cozy. The room was spacious, light and clean. The same applies to the kitchen and the bathrooms. The garden is lovely, too. Not to forget the owners who are very helpful. Globetrekkers invites to stay for more than one night. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
hokianga_79, Manager at Globetrekkers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Hi Daine
Thank you for your review , I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us
Thanks Sue

There are newer reviews for Globetrekkers Lodge

Reviewed 4 April 2013

We stayed in a cottage that had a queen bed with a wooden slat stand and a box spring as mattress. WHile a bit odd to sleep on a box spring, the owners were trying to give a variety of support options for sleeping. This was their firm room, and while the slats were wonderful for support, I think that a nice firm foam mattress like they had in another room would be the best, the springs could be felt all night. The cottage had a small balcony with chairs and table to relax outside and look on the farm fields and starry skies, the room itself was a tad small, but no need to stay inside as the hostel had lots of seating areas like hammocks and picnic benches out side, with BBQ, and then seating inside, tho the cushions need replacing. WE called to reserve, and our phone contact was terrific. We were advised about shopping, gas, money etc things that couldn't be picked up in the area or were just much more expensive or limited, plus when we arrived, there was a hiking in the area booklet for us as she remembered our conversation about our interests. The kitchen was very clean with lots of supplies and wares so as to allow us all to cook and eat, and were well maintained. T

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kip F
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Omapere is a quiet village on the West Coast, and Globetrekkers is a great choice for someone on a budget. Staff were very pleasant and the hostel was clean and cosy. I stayed in a spacious mixed dorm. Although there were no lockers, there was space to put my things. The linens were clean - the bunk bed solid, although the mattress was a little over soft. The kitchen was well stocked with equipment and the lounge very comfortable. There is no TV, but this felt right in this laid back setting - people read books and listened to music in the evening. There are a couple of local shops for supplies, but this is a small place so don't expect crazy nightlift. I saw that there were a number of private rooms, and everyone I spoke to at the hostel was happy with their accommodation, although obviously I can't comment on these rooms. The bathrooms were clean.
There is no wifi, but there is a computer terminal you can pay to use.
I very much enjoyed doing the Footprints Twilight tour of the local forest - well worth it.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed one night at Globetrekkers Lodge in Omapere on our Northland roadtrip. We had driven up on the East coast all the way up to Cape Reigna and were on our way down back to Auckland when we spotted Globetrekkers Lodge. It was almost midnight when we got to Omapere and we were lucky to find a room without having a reservation. The owner was very friendly and helpful and gave us tips for places to visit in the surrounding area. The room that we had was very comfy and nice and the place had a very welcoming and homey atmosphere. If I was going to head back to Omapere I'd definitely stay at Globetrekkers Lodge again!

Room Tip: We had a double room in the main building which we were happy with. They also have one double room i...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Stayed for one night whilst travelling through Northland with my partner and 3 month old baby. Room was basic but clean, good sized kitchen and small lounge area where we played a board game in the evening. No internet except on PC in office which would be nice but no other problems - good hot shower, hostel was nice and quiet in the evening although I am sure it is much busier in summer!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We were in the area visiting friends and needed somewhere to stay for a couple of days. We haven't stayed in a backpackers for 20 + years so were a little nervous. We shouldn't have been, this was fantastic, a home away from home. It was low season and we were the only ones there but we were made to feel very welcome. It was more like staying at a friends house than a backpackers.

Ask the owners for stuff to do as they organised so much for us on our little stay. Went fishing, visited the waipoua forest and went bone carving. But most of all just relaxed.

We will definitely come back, in the summer must be awesome

Room Tip: They have internet but you have to ask as its in the office - Also ask about what's to do from o...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank auto123
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I was referred to this accommodation by Queens St. Backpackers in Auckland, NZ. AMAZING! I pulled in after sunset to check in with the owner Sue. She gave me the tour and many suggestions of activities to do while I was driving around the North Part. The kitchen and bathrooms are very clean. Sue keeps this place immaculate! The bunk beds are super comfortable. There are no heaters in the room, but usually you don’t need them, I just happen to be there on a cold night but managed with the warm blankets. The back porch and common area are very cozy to hang out in. There is no internet or breakfast, but you have all the supplies you need in the kitchen to cook yourself. This is a little town so not much to do, however you can go hiking, take a walk on the beach, and get some great photos. I would stay here one night if you aren’t planning on hiking all day, as taking pictures and hanging on the beach can be done in the morning before you head out to your next destination.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Omapere
Copthorne Hotel & Resort Hokianga
Waiotemarama Falls Lodge
Wai Hou Oma Lodge
Wai Hou Oma Lodge
#3 of 12 in Dargaville

Been to Globetrekkers Lodge? Share your experiences!