“A fabulous was to relax”

Copthorne Hotel & Resort Hokianga
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Omapere
Reviewed 12 October 2013

From the first conversations by phone through to our farewell, the staff were outstanding.
We stayed 2 nights and enjoyed the restful ahua of the place and it's surround. The rooms were spacious, well fitted out and views ( we paid extra for a waterview room) amazing.
Breakfast... Yum, nothing fancy, but just a great selection of fruit and cooked items, the tea and coffee in rooms included a plunger coffee and a great selection of teas. NO mini bar- a plus from our point of view as we used the fridge for lunch items etc.
Walking and driving to Rawene, walking the broad walk through the mangroves, up to the magnificent kauri standard and talking to the great staff there. So sad to see the kauri die back that we have heard about on TV... Hope our fabulous scientist and can unravel this mystery.
The continually changing vista, the beautiful harbour, and majestic sand hills, the power of a storm as a front whistled through, the contrasting stillness of the morning with the sun not eh water, a unique piece of NZ , we will be back to fish off the wharf and enjoy this magic place again soon.

Room Tip: Pay the little extra for a water view, the upstairs rooms have higher ceilings and feel more spaciou...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Pip L, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Hokianga, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Kia ora Suep61

We really look forward to seeing you back in the Hokianga to share our little piece of paradise. It really is a special place, still very untouched.
Simplicity is the newest luxury.

Thanks so much for staying with us.

There are newer reviews for Copthorne Hotel & Resort Hokianga

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed in April and had a wonderful room on the top floor. The room had a very comfy king and was large and clean. The restaurant down stairs is amazing and was excellent. I has oysters and a steak and the wife same with fish. Sunset views to die for.
The staff were friendly and facilities what we wanted, quite, clean and scenic. I loved the private balcony and setting outside.
We had a fantastic stay and I could not fault at all. I think big tour groups go through there so when that happens could get rowdy so check when booking. Recommend a room on top floor facing sea,

Room Tip: Top Floor away from Resaurant
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Pip L, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Hokianga, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Thank you for staying with us. We are very lucky to have such a superb location. The views are indeed stunning.
We do get some tour groups but not a great as we are a small hotel and cater for smaller groups. Since your stay with us, we have been working through a major refurbishment which is very exciting.

We would love to have you back in the Hokianga.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

This would have to be by far the best accommodation in Northland- friendly helpful staff, great room, clean and serviced daily while we were there, good-sized bathroom (not your standard can hardly turn around bathroom in hotels!!), beautiful location. The restaurant was fabulous, beautiful breakfast, the delicious meals at night, in a lovely spot overlooking the Harbour- well done Copthorne Hokianga

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Pip L, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Hokianga, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Kia ora Heather,

Thank you for staying with us and I am so pleased you enjoyed the hotel. We have a young staff who are very proud of this area and understand that our guests are so important We would love to have you back in the Hokianga to share our little piece of paradise. It is a little different Heather, slightly untouched.
Simplicity is the newest luxury.

regards

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stayed for a Friday night 11 Sep 2013 to save a real early start Sat morning. Checked in around 19:30 staff (Pip) couldn't have been more helpful. Nice room good shower. Breakfast the next morning Wife Continental and myself Cooked. Buffet so help yourself. Sitting at the table looking down the harbour towards the heads, we decided that we will be going back for another weekend. Dining room staff only to happy to help. Well Done to All

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Kia ora Dan,

Thank you for staying with us and for your comments. We are delighted that you are keen to come back to the Hokianga.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

The best accommodation in the area. Beautiful views, friendly staff and good food.

We stayed in the two bedroom apartment, well appointed and spacious. The challenge with the pay TV channels was soon fixed. I know that there is Wi-Fi access in all rooms and public areas of the hotel but our apartment didn't have any broadband access, the only challenge we found that needs to be overcome.

All of the staff were great.

We would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Pip L, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Hokianga, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Kia ora Simon J

Thanks for staying with us in the Hokianga and for your feedback. We are working on the broadband issue at present . Apologies for any inconvenience during your stay with us.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

True to my word I am writing again about the Copthorne Hotel & Resort Hokianga. We have just celebrated my 50th Birthday and when were making our plans we knew we wanted it to be a family occassion with distinction and difference. We wanted our guests to leave the my party happier than they would usually have felt after a night on the town ... and it we achieved this!

My whole family and some very special friends were shouted a nights accomodation and breakfast at the Copthorne Hotel along with the party celebration which was hosted here too. The festivities started Friday night as my family gradually rolled into the resort and ran through to Sunay morning breakfast - it was the first time we have had most of our family together on Fathers Day since we were children. The whole weekend was wonderful, it wasnt all about who could get the most blotto ... it was about connecting with my family and special friends in a place which fosters harmony. We went for a walk as a family out to the Lookout Station where we met a very interesting gentleman from the area (Lloydd - was a geography teacher and happily shared his knowledge with us and he was very interesting!). We had romantic walks on the beautiful beach and got some amazing sunset photographs over the harbour.

Peter and I also spent alot of time in peaceful reflection with Tane Mahuta the Giant Kauri tree and again I was touched through to my soul by this magnificent tree. We were fortunate too, we were able to listen to a guide talk to a group about Tane Mahuta and hear his chants sung purely for Tane Mahuta's pleasure ... and trust me ... Tane Manuta might be look like a tree but he definately felt the love and respect the guide was showing him. I feel things on and around people and each time we came out of the forest other people KNEW we had been to see Tane Mahuta - it is visible and that is profound! All I can say is treat your soul to something very precious ... go on the Footprints tour - you wont be wasting your time. You will leave the forest with more than you went in with and it wont be something you can lift up off the ground, it will be something Tane Mahuta and the spiritual elders who watch over his kingdom bestows upon you ... it is a priceless gift!

The party function was magic, and we really want to acknowledge all of the staff, we opted for one very large table and it was set so beautifully for us. By the time my children had finished their magic it was like walking into a gorgeous fairy dell - it was elegant and pretty without being frilly - it was a perfect reflection of me. The staff were wonderful, they very attentive to my guests and were always professional. Pip and Shayne (the owners of the resort) were hands on making sure everything went smoothly - which it did and our meals were delicious - there is NO WAY I could cook enough food for that many people without burning something ... hmmm ... maybe more than a bit of something, it probably would have been everything requiring heat. So a big happy thank you to each person who contributed to making my 50th birthday one which was unique to the extent that it reflected the sort of person I am and put me where I most love to be, in the bush and next to the sea! For 5 nights we slept with the waves rolling up the beach, there is no way you can mimick that sound ... it is so peaceful and rejuvenating to the soul. We love it here!

We also want to acknowledge the front office staff. My elderly mother had a bad fall 2 days before coming up to Omapere and we requested that a parking space be reserved directly outside my parents room for the duration of their stay. Within 15 minutes a bright orange cone appeared and anyone who moved the cone and parked in the space was asked to move their car to another spot.

We are so grateful for the caring philosphy of the resort, they are a family owned business and team who have a family connection and that flows into the way they care for their all of guests and manage the resort.

We booked a variety of rooms, we were indulged with the superior rooms and my children, niece & sister-n-law and nephews were in two of the family rooms. All of the rooms were lovely and had breath taking views of the harbour. It is the location, the beautiful vibe and stunning views that captured mine and Peters heart when we first visited here as a couple on Valentines weekend last February - we would be happy in a tent on the front lawn (so long as it didnt rain ... we dont like getting wet ... smile).

Thank you again for making my 50th birthday so special and everyone will always associate it with your resort and Omapere! They are also looking forward to mine and Peter's wedding which we decided to book the day after my party - we will be calling everyone north to this amazing resort again in March 2015! We know it will be a perfect day!

So if you have made it this far, I thank you for taking the time to read my review and I sincerely hope you have a wonderful stay like we did.
Kind regards
Denise Gordon

Room Tip: We had room 35 and most of our family were in the other superior rooms in this block - the views are...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Pip L, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Hokianga, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Kia ora Denise,

What a special weekend. I love that you achieved both distinction and difference. Thank you so very, very much from the bottom of our hearts.

Can't wait for 2015

Warm wishes Pip, Shane and Team

Reviewed 5 September 2013

I can't complain about anything considering the $$ I paid. I like to review hotels in a comparable fashion, according to the price I paid. My mother and I stayed two nights for a cost of $104 per night, including a full breakfast. Considering most hotels charge at least $20 for breakfast, we effectively got a hotel room for $64 through Wotif. The hotel has an amazing setting right on the harbour, and we had a sea view from our room. The beds were nice and certainly very nice linen. The first night we had a new TV installed as they are doing an upgrade. I thought it strange though that they are still charging for wifi with this new upgrade. I have just returned from Thailand, and got the agent to change my accommodation to hotels with free wifi. Most travellers today require or request free wifi. I guess that as there aren't any other hotels in this location to compete with that they don't need to offer this. I am a tour operator and this is one of the most common complaints we hear from our customers. Will return again at that price.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Kia ora mymajicroundabout,

Thank you for staying with us. It was great to have you and your mother with us and we do look forward to your return in the future. Hokianga is special and offers visitors something quite different.
I appreciate your comment about the wifi and it is something that we do need to look at.
Pip

Also consider these accommodations in or near Omapere
Opononi Hotel Limited
#3 of 12 in Dargaville
Birdsnest Holiday Home
Birdsnest Holiday Home
#6 of 12 in Dargaville

Been to Copthorne Hotel & Resort Hokianga? Share your experiences!