“Father / Daughter - Land O' Giants!”
Review of Stonefly Lodge

Stonefly Lodge
Long Beach, California
“Father / Daughter - Land O' Giants!”
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I have fished many places around the World and have stayed in many fantastic lodges, but John and Kate Kerr at Stonefly are at the top of the list. The accomodations are amazing and the food spectacular. We fished 5 days and never saw another fisherman. From the Helicopter, Food, Lodgeing, Music, Pool Games, Chess Matches, Fishing Guide ( Steve ), more food, more fish, large Brown Trout - 5 to 8lbs...scenery, fellowship, location....it is unbeatable. I would reccomend Stonefly to my closest friends , clients and colleagues....without hesuitation. Can't wait to return to the Land O' Giants!!
Mark and Carleigh Latimer aka " Team Latty "

Room Tip: All spectacular
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mark_latimer

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed 18 January 2013

If you're looking for a fishing lodge with 5-star accommodations, meals that were not only delicious but presented with expertise and love, amazing hosts that make you feel at home and look for ways to make your stay perfect, breath taking views, professional fishing guides for every experience level then look no further, this is it! John and Kate have put their years of experience and their hearts into making this a place you will hate to leave and look forward to returning again and again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thecle
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 17 January 2013

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Stonefly Lodge near Nelson (we spent total of 15 days in South Island New Zealand) and were welcomed by the warmth of Kate & John, the owners of the lodge. Our 3 days were filled with our own planned activities so kept us very busy away from the lodge during the day (wine tasting, art gallery visiting, sky diving, rain forest hiking, and visits to Able Tasman). So visiting the area is a must if you travel through or to Nelson (Stonefly Lodge is about 50 mins away). We like Stonefly Lodge because of its location, fully surrounded by the nature, next to a stream of river and hidden in the mountain ranges. The idea of running a fully self-supported energy friendly accommendation is a great attraction, knowing that a luxury lifestyle does not need to waste energy. Food has been greatly with their in-house chef providing fine-dining experiences daily. There is really nothing we would complain about the stays and hopefully we can re-visiti Stonefly Lodge with our friends or family again for a private stay. There are only total of 4 rooms so ideal for private stay

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maryann T
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 12 December 2012

We just returned from a three week honeymoon that included stops in Sydney, Fiji and the South Island of New Zealand. Stonefly Lodge is located less than an hour from Nelson, and it was definitely one of the top highlights of the trip.
We're an early 30s couple, and my husband, an experienced fly fisherman, requested a fishing lodge as part of our extended vacation. I did a ton of research on my own (both before and after Stonefly was recommended by our travel agent - Best of New Zealand Fly Fishing), and Stonefly seemed like the perfect choice for us. John and Kate were the ultimate hosts and ensured our five day stay was nothing short of amazing.
While my husband fished with a guide each day (arranged by Stonefly), I was able to choose from a plethora of activities in the surrounding area. On the first day, I spent part of the day relaxing in the sun-filled great room reading a book and then went into Nelson where I did a bit of shopping and had lunch. On day two, Stonefly arranged my day of hiking and sea kayaking at Abel Tasman park - less than an hour away. On the third day I visited the artisan shops around Nelson and Mapua, and then explored Rabbit Island for a bit. And on the last day I hiked around the Nelson Lakes National Park - again, less than an hour away.
Since I didn't fish, I can't expand as much on the rivers/fishing/guides, but I can assure you that my husband was a happy man at the end of each day of fishing. He's already looking for excuses to return.
And the food...oh, the food. We probably gained a few pounds at Stonefly because the food was beyond my expectations. When we travel, I'm always researching the best restaurants to visit in each city, and I was a little nervous about visiting an all-inclusive lodge. The only thing I should have been nervous about was the amount of food I would eat each day. We would start each day with homemade breakfasts (I already miss the warm croissants from the oven) and then end the day with a four course meal by Chef Dean. The food is five star, easily.
Even though I didn't fish a day, I still had an amazing time at this unbelievable haven in the South Island of New Zealand.

Room Tip: Guest rooms 1 and 4 are probably the quietest since you're the furthest away from the loft overl...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SarahDallas222
melbourne
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Stonefly is a relatively new lodge on the Motueka River. Eco friendly, spacious and relaxing, the setting is picturesque and the accommodation attractive and comfortable. A day on the river with patient, knowledgable and extremely sharp eyed Steve was an unforgettable experience even for an experienced fly fisherman. Kate and John provide everything that could be needed for an enjoyable stay, and are perfect hosts. The wine list is very good. The food is excellent too.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ResAdventurer
Boise, Idaho, United States
Reviewed 2 November 2012

The Stonefly Lodge is one of the best fly fishing lodges I have ever visited. The setting is spectacular, looking down on the Motueka River. The lodge itself is luxurious. The rooms are warm and inviting and if that weren’t enough, the lodge is energy independent. The food is the best I have ever eaten at a lodge and better than many highly rated restaurants! John and Kate are the consummate hosts. It feels like you are with close friends. Lastly the fishing is superb and the guides are great. What else is there to say? This is the only fishing lodge I have visited that my wife, who does not fish said she wished she had gone with me.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Alex C
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2012

It is difficult to say what the best features are of Stonefly because they excel in so many areas. Our trip was a fly fishing trip and we were not disappointed by any stretch but the place would enthral any visitors. However the wonderful hospitality and incredible culinary delights exceeded our expectations by a good margin . I cannot overstate this as we are regular visitors of the fine dining restaurants in Melbourne and overseas and Stonefly Lodge deserves at least one Michelin star, if not two. The lodge is situated on the side of a stunning valley overlooking the magnificent Motueka River.The accommodation was first class with an ecological design that did not impact in any way on the 5 star service and comfort. Congratulations John & Kate .... and looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: All have fabulous views.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MARIANNE W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Motueka
Motueka River Lodge
#1 of 4 in Motueka
Split Apple Lodge
Split Apple Lodge
#2 of 7 in Kaiteriteri

Been to Stonefly Lodge? Share your experiences!