“Very Attentive Hosts”

Hat Trick Lodge Backpackers' Hostel
Hat Trick Lodge Backpackers' Hostel
Reviewed 14 January 2013

I booked this hostel for my 18 yr old son on a last minute basis. He was touring on his own for the first time. They looked out for him, helped him book outings, and even emailed me to let me know he made it there safely. The hostel is conveniently located to the I-site and the price was good. Paul and Suzanne do a great job.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 10 August 2012

We spent a night here in early June after visiting Abel Tasman during the day. It's located conveniently right across the street from the i-center in Motueka. The hostel reception isn't always open, but Suzanne saw us entering the i-site and hung around a bit to see if we were the ones who had made reservations earlier in the day and to let us check in early and drop our stuff off.
It's a very quiet hostel and not much to do at night, but that was ok as we were both exhausted from our day in Abel Tasman. The kitchen is a nice size and has everything you need to cook a meal with. We decided to shell out a bit more money and got the double ensuite for a night (that was still less expensive than dorm rooms at other hostels in Motueka though). It came with bath towels and the room was very clean. The bed was fine. It wasn't the most comfortable mattress ever, but it also could have been a lot worse. The bathroom was small and clean. Everything was pretty basic.
Overall, the hostel wasn't too memorable but it served it's function as an affordable place to sleep before exploring the surrounding National Parks.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We spent one night at Hat Trick Lodge as our base to go to Abel Tasman National Park next day. We chose this hostel because it was the only one open in the area during their low season. We found the price very high considering what the room offered. It was small with double bed. Separate shower & toilet. The worst part was how cold the room was because the heater would shut off after 30 minutes. When we asked at the front desk about it we were told it was a safety feature. That meant we spent a night in a cold room - not very pleasant. The kitchen is small compared to other BBH stays.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights in feb. Great location to visit the beautiful Abel Tasman. If you do Kayaking or other adventures, they pick you up here free. Hostel is right opposite the i site, which is brill. Rooms were clean. A quiet hostel. The only downside I felt, was that there were not enough showers (Only about 3 I think). But still managed to shower everyday!!! And would recommend to all!! And the owner is also very friendly and likes to come and join in with chats, which is nice :)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 July 2011

I worked in Motueka briefly as many passing travelers do to work in a nearby orchard, packing house or factory. For 2 weeks I found accommodation at the Hat Trick Lodge and thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

The rooms are clean, the place isn't overly large, but just big enough to meet many interesting people; and due to the large number of those getting up early to work, things were quiet enough on weeknights. The location is as smack in the middle of Motueka as you can get, steps away from the main drag of High St. and conveniently right across from the i-Site and the Sunday farmers market. The beautiful waterfront is only about a 15 minute walk, as well as a public golf course.

The owners, Paul & Suzanne, are the nicest people, know the area well - and show a genuine interest in and care for their guests (Paul took a bunch of guys to a rugby game in Nelson during my stay.)

There's very good kitchen facilities, fast reliable wi-fi (though costs extra), clean bathrooms, a seaside motif going on in the halls, lots of movies in the lounge area downstairs, and a 2 patios overlooking the park and Sunday market.

The wonderful dynamic I observed during my stay was that while there was a definite community among those with a long term stay, the many people who came through only for a night or two on their way to Nelson or the Abel Tasman were greeted warmly and chatted up and quickly embraced by the established residents. There was a really friendly atmosphere courtesy of Paul & Suzanne and the other guests/residents throughout my entire time there.

I don't write many reviews, but really enjoyed my stay - Hat Trick Lodge is a definite must-do if living in, stopping in or just passing through Motueka.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank clearasmud
Reviewed 9 January 2011

Right in the middle of Motueka but not noisy. Everything about it - carpark, bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen, dining - was generous, spacious, clean and well maintained. Great attention to detail, nice little touches, well equipped and exceptionally helpful manager.
So glad we found it.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2010

My husband and I were looking for a base to for Abel Tasman and the Hat Trick Lodge in Motueka seemed like a good spot. When we got into the room it was clean and VERY basic. We got a double ensuite room on the first floor. I could hear people on the floor above us which was kind of annoying, but I didn't expect too much since this is a hostel. When we went to the kitchen to put some things we bought in the fridge, we were horrified. It smelled disgusting and there were flies everywhere! This is not the fault of the owners, but the disgusting people who stay there.
Also, the town was very boring. No nightlife. Nowhere exciting to eat except for one really good Thai restaurant.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Motueka
Equestrian Lodge Motel
#3 of 3 in Kaiteriteri
Avalon Manor Motel
Avalon Manor Motel
#4 of 4 in Motueka

Been to Hat Trick Lodge Backpackers' Hostel? Share your experiences!