“Great host and lovely space”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Motueka
The Blue Moon B & B
Ranked #11 of 23 Motueka B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Great host and lovely space”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Something a bit different! Lovely space with lots of windows which let loads of light in. Very clean and serviced every day. As others have said the bathroom takes a bit of getting used to, but I loved it. The shower was very good, hot and powerful. The bed was really comfortable and the fan kept the room cool. The kitchen had all the basics. Jane was an excellent host, very welcoming and helpful, and provided a huge amount of information on things to do in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Jane B, Owner at The Blue Moon B & B, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thanks very much for writing your lovely review and pointing out all the great aspects of the room. So glad you enjoyed your stay and that I was able to help with planning your stay in the area. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday. All the best.

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We very much enjoyed the unique space as well as the wonderful hostess hospitality of the Blue Moon. The space is large and uniquely designed. The bathroom layout takes a bit getting used to but if you are a close couple there should be no problem. There are wonderful windows, terrific tourist information, a lovely kitchen, and delightful breakfast.

The names on a board outside the front door was a very nice touch. Jane, our hostess, was terrific.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Jane B, Owner at The Blue Moon B & B, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thanks very much for taking the time to write a review, it's always a pleasure to know guests have enjoyed their stay. I'm glad the bathroom layout didn't affect your enjoyment of the room - it's funny, no one used to comment on the bathroom (in 10yrs) until one person mentioned it as a negative recently. Yes it's different but shouldn't affect most couples who are close as you say - there's always the radio! And the bath should make up for any sound issues :-) Thanks again and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday. All the best.
Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We had a great time. The suite is beautifully decorated, like a cross between sleeping and showering in the wilderness but also in a luxury hotel. You'll have to see it to know what I mean. It is open and airy (including shower/bath/bed/kitchenette, although the bathroom is walled off) so if that is not your style, look elsewhere, but I thought it was rather enchanting. And Jane is wonderful and made sure I got back some things I accidentally left behind. Thank you Jane and hope we will be back someday. And Motueka is a really lovely town to stay in as a base in this area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Jane B, Owner at The Blue Moon B & B, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thanks so much for taking time to write a review and it's always great to hear guests have had a nice time. Hope to see you again one day too :-) All the best to you both.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

We loved our 3-nights stay here. The room itself is amazing with lot of air and light. It's very personal as well and you feel like you're staying in a friend's house. Everything has a nice touch to it. Jane is very hospitable, providing all the information and support you'd need. At the same time respecting your privacy. Thank you!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review, I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay here. it was good to meet you both and i hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday. All the best.
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My main problem with this accommodation is that there is no door on the bathroom. Yes, the bathroom is away from the bed but there is not even a solid wall separating the rooms, it is more like a screen wall - and I don't expect to have to be on honeymoon and hear my husband in the bathroom (or vice versa).

The room isn't serviced every day, which is fine as we only stayed two days and didn't want to get up early. However we did have a BBQ on the first night, so had a bin full of food and also a stack of recycling. So even if the bed wasn't going to be made etc (which we were fine about) I would have expected someone to pop in and simply empty the bins, as they has started to smell by the end of the second day and were rotten by the final morning any time we opened the cupboard. We had spoken to the owner on our way out that day so she knew she was free to go into our room and could have done that quite easily.

Our second night in our "peaceful and romantic retreat" was ruined by a drum and bass music gig that was taking place at the nearby Riwaka Hotel late into the night. The windows were actually rattling, it was so loud. The owner had warned us about this that afternoon but at the point there wasn't much we could do except grin and bear it, so it's worth checking whether anyone is playing there before you book. This was particularly annoying for us as ideally we had only wanted to stay for one night, but had been told it was a two-night minimum stay, so had added this night on as a consequence only to have a bad one, when we could have just been somewhere else.

The smell of the food was the worst thing but it also smelt a bit musty - and I noticed there was a weed growing in through the window frame near the bed!

I understand that the place has "character" and actually I liked that it was bright and roomy, that we were left to enjoy ourselves without interruption and we had a great outdoor space. But it felt too basic compared to what I was expecting and compared to other accommodation for a similar price that we stayed in during our trip. A few small improvements - a bathroom door, improving cleanliness and freshening the decor a bit - and it would be so much nicer. Even the sofa was just so hard and uncomfortable (we had to retreat to that early in the evening to escape the dreadful music). A bit more comfort and attention to detail would have been welcome.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Jane B, Owner at The Blue Moon B & B, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I'm only sorry that you were so unhappy with the accommodation as I always strive to make everyone's stay an enjoyable one.

The bathroom - yes this is clearly an issue for some, it is an unusual situation because the room was initially someone's bedroom and we changed it to be a B&B room not realising that the lack of soundproofing would be a problem for some couples.

Servicing - the room is serviced daily as stipulated unless guests are in the room at the usual time of servicing or if I'm at work (there is only 1 day of the week I cannot service the room unless I am away for the day). This is clearly stated in the information folder in the room. I am at a loss as to why your room wasn't serviced and can only apologise. If you had come and asked me to empty the bins on your return I would've gladly done so.

Loud music - yes the Riwaka pub is a real pain to all residents between Christmas/New Year, we are nearly 4km away believe it or not and complaints have been made but clearly to no avail. Some nights are worse than others and unfortunately the night you are referring to was a particularly loud band, at other times they just sound like someone's having a party nearby. To be honest I forget from one year to the next however I will make a note on the website that this could be an issue if booking at that time of year. I'm sorry it ruined your night.

2 night stay policy - that time of year is the only time we have this poiicy in place because it's so busy. Your original booking request was for 2 nights but with a night in between to go into the park. I simply asked that you make them consecutive which you were happy to do. Even if you had booked as per your original request, the 2nd night was the same date of the noisy band.

Once again, I'm very sorry you didn't enjoy your stay but I hope the rest of your honeymoon was a wonderful one.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

I love a place thats better in person than in photos. Wonderful place, larger than expected, adorable as heck & Jane is a fabulous and gracious host. BTW, the breakfast is a perfect star to the day and Jane has a ton of info of what to do, where to go and where to eat. ......................................................................................................................................................

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Jane B, Owner at The Blue Moon B & B, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Thanks for taking the time to review, I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and that everything met your expectations. It was a pleasure meeting you both. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday and have a safe trip home. All the best.
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We felt lucky to stay in this lovely space for several nights. Not only huge space in comfortable and tasteful rooms also extra room and space for your belongings, and a most charming bathroom!
The big Terasse in the garden is even more a reason to feel absolutely gorgious.
Especially , if you enjoy the ritch Breackfast outside.
The owner is verry friendly and helpful.
There is absolut everything for a most wonderful stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Jane B, Owner at The Blue Moon B & B, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it's always appreciated. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, it was a pleasure meeting you both and I hope to see you again one day, if I ever come to Hamburg I will bring your shirt! All the best to you both.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Motueka
Peppers Awaroa Lodge
#1 of 23 in Motueka
Torlesse Motels
Torlesse Motels
#3 of 7 in Kaiteriteri

Been to The Blue Moon B & B? Share your experiences!