“Feel good factor” 5 of 5 bubbles

Up the Garden Path
Price range: US$6 - US$20
Cuisines: Mediterranean, European
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Originally a private residence, The home that would become Up the Garden Pathwas built around 1910 by Cecil and Mina Talbot.In 2004 the property assumed its current formwith the addition of the main hall, gallery andcommercial kitchen. First known as an art venue,Up the Garden Path soon earned a reputationfor outstanding dining, coffee and service whileremaining true to its roots in the art world.Today the café-gallery supports many localartists and provides a welcoming havenfor residents and visitors alike.Thank you for joining us.
Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand
“Feel good factor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

I have been regularly going to this cafe now for just over a year after discovering it one Sunday afternoon. My best friend, me and two well behaved mutts wandered down the path and have been hooked ever since! The service, the ambience and the food warm us, the fact they remember us makes us feel ever so slightly special. We head out there from nelson about once a month and have never been disappointed. Keep up the good work.

• Visited July 2014

Christchurch, New Zealand
“Amazing Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Fantastic food, friendly staff and good value.
This location is quiet and relaxed and also doubles as an art space with art work on the walls to purchase. The garden area looks like it would be lovely to sit in.
As with previous places in the Tasman area it was very cold inside. There was an unlit gas fire and no heat pumps on. Meant that we left straight after meal.

We were the at 2:30 so towards the end of their day but I did find it very disconcerting to have one of the staff members mopping the floor around us and the other patrons. The floor cleaning smell was very strong and I felt like we we shouldn't be there as it was cleanup time. I realise this is a job that needs doing but maybe at the end of the day! They close at four so maybe closer to then? I also think the chances of slipping could be very high.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Garden Path C, General Manager at Up the Garden Path, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Thank you for your kind comments on our food, staff and venue - we greatly appreciate your visiting us, especially during these winter months. It is a bit odd that we did not have the fire on during your visit as usually we do warm the main hall on colder days.

I personally am also very thankful for your comments on the cleaning situation. It can be a difficult balance to be extra efficient on slower days (mid-week in the winter season, for example) while still providing an enjoyable atmosphere - after all, our customers truly are our #1 priority and we always aim to provide a welcoming environment.

In this case we clearly missed the mark and for that I am truly sorry. I have taken your review to our front staff to firmly emphasize the importance of maintaining a great atmosphere at all times and, most of all, to help our clients feel welcome and not rushed. We do hope you will come back to us the next time you are in the area.

Thanks and best regards from Aaron Carvell, general manager
Motueka, New Zealand
“Yum! Should of gone sooner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Had lunch at Up the Garden Path on Friday. I am a local but had never made the effort to go before. What a mistake! I am going to become a regular now!

Lovely setting and very clean & tidy. Well set out dining area, we sat outside. The service was top notch and the food was delicious.

I ordered and devoured the Salmon fettucine. It was divine.

I will definitely be eating there again. Next menu item in my sights is the lamb souvlaki.

• Visited May 2014
Nelson, Nelson, New Zealand
“Fantastic garden setting & dog friendly too.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a delightful cafe with seating in the garden, on the deck and indoors too. They are dog friendly and have a terrific kids play area (newly built). The food is delicious and the Carrot Cake is especially good. Tables are not squished close together like so many other places and the staff and nice and friendly.

• Visited May 2014
Motueka, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A little oasia”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Get away from the traffic on Motuka;s High Street and relax in this lovely garden setting. Service can be a bit slow during a busy lunchtime so leave time. Short but tasty menu.

Visited May 2014